Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Some bop on my 1952 ES 350. Hope you like.

DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice playing, DB. I like the sound of your 350. Question: what background tracks do you use/prefer? I'm going to buy some soon.

Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Just wonderful. Some say tone is all in the player, others think tone is in the instrument-but nobody questions if you bring the right player into connection with the right instrument you get and explosion of glorious sound and music.

I want to play like you when I grow up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Just wonderful. Some say tone is all in the player, others think tone is in the instrument-but nobody questions if you bring the right player into connection with the right instrument you get and explosion of glorious sound and music.

I want to play like you when I grow up.
    Thanks Lawson. If you lived near me, I'd be happy to be your coach. I mean it.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    Thanks Lawson. If you lived near me, I'd be happy to be your coach. I mean it.

DB
    That would be fun. Two academics who really want to be jazz musicians!

Seriously, the great blessing of tenure is I have support for my music habit.

User Info Menu

That would be fun. Two academics who really want to be jazz musicians! Seriously, the great blessing of tenure is I have support for my music habit.
    Agreed totally. I have never had the desire to be a pro whatsoever. Jazz guitar is a great hobby but a lousy job.

Besides, over here in this small country I would have to compete with Jesse van Ruller and Martijn van Iterson who can kick my ass from here to Tokyo. Haha .... no way José.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    Agreed totally. I have never had the desire to be a pro whatsoever. Jazz guitar is a great hobby but a lousy job.

Besides, over here in this small country I would have to compete with Jesse van Ruller and Martijn van Iterson who can kick my ass from here to Tokyo. Haha .... no way José.

DB
    When I was in high school contemplating trying to be a pro musician, my dad, who couldn't play any instrument, told me horrible stories of WW2 army musicians he knew who came home, sensational players, and couldn't get work as musicians and ended up in menial jobs, if that... suggested I find work that I could do well that would pay the bills and use the money to play the guitar for fun.

My dad gets smarter every year that I get older. Even dead, he's still getting smarter all the time.

User Info Menu

Man, the forum members are giving us so much entertainment that I don't miss going out to see live music.

Carry on!

User Info Menu

Very nice! Good mix, as well. Bop on, Bop on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Nice playing, DB. I like the sound of your 350. Question: what background tracks do you use/prefer? I'm going to buy some soon. Good playing . . . Marinero
    There is a great many backings on Youtube Marinero. Just type in the title of the tune and then add "backing."

I have used Aebersold and Hal Leonard backings a lot. The one I used for this track was an Aebersold. I dumped the piano and added a rhythm guitar instead. I tend to tweak backings ...

Often I first go to Youtube to find a backing of a tune I would like to play. People create all kinds of backings and some are really good. There are Aebersold and Hal Leonard backings too floating around.

The best ones on Youtube are by Simon Peter King though. They have a more modern vibe and feature real instruments. I hate midi and virtual shit. Click here. That guy is a monster player on guitar but on bass and drums too ...

Mr. Sunny bass is a double player that is nice to play along with in duo style. Click here.

DB

User Info Menu

When I was in high school contemplating trying to be a pro musician, my dad, who couldn't play any instrument, told me horrible stories of WW2 army musicians he knew who came home, sensational players, and couldn't get work as musicians and ended up in menial jobs, if that... suggested I find work that I could do well that would pay the bills and use the money to play the guitar for fun.
    My dad gets smarter every year that I get older. Even dead, he's still getting smarter all the time.
    Jimmy Bruno said the same in a recent interview.

DB

User Info Menu

Thanks, DB,
    For helping my progressive climb out of the Dark Ages of direct human interaction into the virtual world. One of the reasons I switched from saxophone to guitar ,many years ago, was the difficulty in connecting with good musicians who were reliable and showed up for rehearsals/gigs. I easily made more money as a solo guitarist and had more jobs than I ever had playing in ensembles--and, no flaky musicians. As a recovering Luddite, I am amazed at the material available online. Thanks for your in-depth response. Now, I'll need some good speakers for the computer. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Great playing, DB. Guitar sounds great.