Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 60

User Info Menu

While staying in self imposed quarantine (I'm not really scared but at 65 I belong to the at-risk-group) I decided to record a couple of video clips playing Blues in different styles.
    So here's the first one: (sorry - it went on a bit too long, can't blame you if you get bored halfway through)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I know just how you feel :-)

User Info Menu

Quarantine Blues #2, recorded this sunny saturday afternoon. Temperatures are on the rise with mid 70s F expected for tomorrow. People will either go out and have a hard time keeping the required distance from each other or they will go bonkers staying inside....

I know - it's not jazz guitar but I hope that some of you may appreciate or even enjoy it nonetheless....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    While staying in self imposed quarantine (I'm not really scared but at 65 I belong to the at-risk-group) I decided to record a couple of video clips playing Blues in different styles.
    So here's the first one: (sorry - it went on a bit too long, can't blame you if you get bored halfway through)

Nice, unpretentious, direct blues playing. Good time feel. Thanks---and stay safe...

User Info Menu

I always dig your bluesin', Tommy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Nice, unpretentious, direct blues playing. Good time feel. Thanks---and stay safe...
    Thanks for the kind words, Joel - and you too stay safe and healthy!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    I always dig your bluesin', Tommy.
    Thanks, Thumbz!

User Info Menu

Hey, Tommo, I just grabbed my fretless bass and jammed with you. Come to Edinburgh - we'll do some gigs Great way to start my day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Hey, Tommo, I just grabbed my fretless bass and jammed with you. Come to Edinburgh - we'll do some gigs Great way to start my day.
    Certainly would be a pleasure to do so, Rob!

User Info Menu

Here's the third clip in the series. Bassline courtesy of my looper pedal.

User Info Menu

Man, I've been usurped already. I thought I was your bass player? Technology is killing music! Only kidding. Muddy would like this one. I kept expecting his great voice to come booming in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Man, I've been usurped already. I thought I was your bass player? Technology is killing music! Only kidding. Muddy would like this one. I kept expecting his great voice to come booming in.
    LOL! Since you were not around I had to do the job myself....
    Cheers, Rob!

User Info Menu

BB King would be proud!

User Info Menu

Make that BB King for song #1, Lightning Hopkins for song #2, and Mudddy for song #3, would be proud!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Make that BB King for song #1, Lightning Hopkins for song #2, and Mudddy for song #3, would be proud!!
    Thank you - #2 is actually based on Robert Johnson's "Kind Hearted Woman" but nonetheless thanks for the kind words.

User Info Menu

I wish there was a Blues book with songs like yours tabbed out. While there are a lot of chord melody books for Jazz, I don't think there is anything for the solo guitar that you displayed, especially in your first song.

There is a book called "Power Trio Blues" (I think that is the title) but it only gives a snippet of a song and does not go into complete solos with self accompaniment.

User Info Menu

I stand corrected. Dave Rubin has one.

Our man Rob MacKillop also has some blues in his DADGAD book. I am hoping Dave Rubin's book will have similar content with longer solos that mix chords and single-note lines.

At the risk of hijacking your thread, here is the book.

Sorry! Something went wrong!

TOMMO, your thread has helped me out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    At the risk of hijacking your thread, here is the book.

TOMMO, your thread has helped me out.

No hijacking - glad you like my little blues ditties - thanks!

User Info Menu

Hi - here's clip #4:

User Info Menu

No.5:

User Info Menu

Hi - here's clip #4:

Lovin' the minor leading into the turnaround!

Man, I need to get me a dobro.

User Info Menu

Hi - here's clip #4:

Nice - Tampa Red lives.....

User Info Menu

No.6: a tune I learned from a Muddy Waters' recording for the LOC, 1942. One of the very few tunes I'm halfway comfortable singing. When I was in Mississippi in 1993 I went to see the log cabin where Muddy grew up in and I stopped at a junction to ask for directions. There was a lone building there that probably was the plantation's store where the recordings were made.

User Info Menu

Lovely touch on that one, Tommo. I'm enjoying this thread. You're not short of guitars, are you!?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by digger
    Lovely touch on that one, Tommo. I'm enjoying this thread. You're not short of guitars, are you!?
    Thank you Derek! No, there's plenty but it's not about showing them off - I just choose the one that I think is the most appropriate for the style of a specific tune.

User Info Menu

I'm assuming you've got the Complete Alan Lomax Plantation Recordings, I never got closer to Rolling Fork than looking at a map....

I think Muddy said it was after hearing himself on those recordings that he decided to concentrate on music -

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    I'm assuming you've got the Complete Alan Lomax Plantation Recordings, I never got closer to Rolling Fork than looking at a map....

I think Muddy said it was after hearing himself on those recordings that he decided to concentrate on music -
    Since you mentioned it - I might do another one of Muddy's Plantation recordings....

The proud man with his first record:

The Blues in self imposed quarantine-a51cdd8b46334f2741c65fcd8130fd03-jpg

I learned so much from Muddy's records.

User Info Menu

Hi - here's clip #4:

Nice Tri-Cone work! A guitar like that, you're Sittin on' Top of the World. Or in you kitchen. Both work. That's some nice playin' man!

User Info Menu

Thanks, k!

User Info Menu

Here's No.7 - based on Tommy Johnson's playing. The Gibson L1 again in dropped D tuning:

User Info Menu

Great stuff, Tommo.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Great stuff, Tommo.

John

Thank you John - much appreciated!

User Info Menu

Clip No.8 - sorry for the rather sloppy playing...

User Info Menu

All good stuff, man.

I bet there people in Mississippi who would really appreciate hearing you play.

User Info Menu

Dust that broom, Bro! You have a fine touch. Kudos!

User Info Menu

Thanks AR and k!

User Info Menu

No.9 - noodling over an E9 vamp:

Hope you enjoy!

User Info Menu

You have a looper! I'd like one of those.

Much favoured by buskers. Start a loop and have fun :-)

and get money

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    You have a looper! I'd like one of those.

Much favoured by buskers. Start a loop and have fun :-)

and get money
    Great tool for practicing and teaching - one of the best gear purchases I'v ever made!

User Info Menu

Here's No.10:

User Info Menu

Just recorded clip No.11 after a hiatus of five days where I didn't feel like doing much:

User Info Menu

Nothing says "Delta" like a Dobro. Very nice!

User Info Menu

Thanks k!

User Info Menu

Nice one, Tommo, I enjoyed that. Not the song I was expecting from the tune (sitting on Top...) but, googling it, that one was recorded by a lot of people including the Stones. I never heard it before.

Great :-)

User Info Menu

Thank you ragman - your kind words are much appreciated!

User Info Menu

Very nice TOMMO.
    Great videos!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clebergf
    Very nice TOMMO.
    Great videos!!
    Thank you - glad you enjoyed them!

User Info Menu

Great playing.

User Info Menu

Thank you!

User Info Menu

I resumed my series of informal recordings of playing blues in quarantine, a little soothing C minor thingy - so here's No.12:

User Info Menu

Love it! Thank you!