Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 214
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    What a horrible week. Let's just play some music. Freddie Green's birthday was Tuesday...and we lost Bucky yesterday. Just play one chorus of rhythm guitar. Don't even name the tune. Any genre, any style even. Just add to this and keep it going. No skill assessment. Just play. Everybody has a phone. Hit record and keep the rhythm going.


  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Perfect.

    C'mon y'all. Phone +youtube. Keep it going, no excuses. Play some rhythm...the nightly news can wait. Itll still be shit in the morning.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu


  5. #4

    User Info Menu


  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Sounding good y'all. Keep it going

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    What a horrible week. Let's just play some music. Freddie Green's birthday was Tuesday...and we lost Bucky yesterday. Just play one chorus of rhythm guitar. Don't even name the tune. Any genre, any style even. Just add to this and keep it going. No skill assessment. Just play. Everybody has a phone. Hit record and keep the rhythm going.

    Nice, Jeff. And I recognized the tune (but won't name it, lest it spoil that recognition for others.)

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quick take of my rhythm track.


  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    OK - I'll play:





  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    I just had a thought: next we all could play over these rhythm tracks, head or improvisation. Would be pretty cool.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Would need to download files?

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Would need to download files?
    I like low tech...probably just play it through a bluetooth speaker on the background. I'll try a sound test in a bit.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    A chorus of an old song of mine called "Pretty Broke Up." Always enjoyed playing the rhythm on this one.


  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    A chorus of an old song of mine called "Pretty Broke Up." Always enjoyed playing the rhythm on this one.

    Sounds like a tune Bobby would sing with the Dead. Love it.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Sounds like a tune Bobby would sing with the Dead. Love it.
    Thanks, Jeff! I wrote that about a woman I was crazy about but she was crazy about someone else. Just about anybody else, really. But hey, I got a song out of it, so I'm happy about the whole thing.

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Here ya go ...



    John

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Heres one, just sitting in front of phone, I put my rhythm track (playing in browser on my ipad) through my Bose bluetooth speaker and hoped for the best. Pretty balanced for a first take. I think I'll see if anybody else posts rhythm tracks, and I'll challenge myself to do a longer video tomorrow and try playing over a few of them (not at the same time, obviously)


  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Another chorus of rhythm, this one for an actual standard, though one normally sung and taken more uptempo. But this is the way I like to play it, more or less. (The bridge is one chord and I didn't do anything with it---because I'm usually singing this when I play it, I never thought I needed to do anything with it!---but I think the rest hangs together well enough.


  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Not sure if this is quite within the given parameters, but it’s the nearest thing I’ve got already recorded.


  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Tried another one:


  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Attempt to play with a thread clip, rag's very nice bossa. I've never played this tune in Db, in fact, I've played very few tunes in Db... this is not my greatest moment in improvisational music, but it was fun playing along with a forum member.


  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Not what you asked for, but what the hell. I had a spare 10 mins


  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    OK, so taking a page out of the Mr. B. book, I looped mine in GarageBand, then played it back through my bluetooth speaker, played along, and recorded with my phone. Lo-fi enough?



    John

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    All of You works veeerrrryyy nicely as a old school swinger on a Selmac doesn't it... Nice!

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Hey guys. It's easy to do audio play along with these clips. If you have a tablet or smart phone, just go to the forum on that device and play the clip, using the headphone jack to send the audio to your recording device (if you are using direct lines) and play your guitar into the other. Or of course you can send the audio through a speaker and record with the mic on your phone.

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    John, that sounds great!

  27. #26

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    All of You works veeerrrryyy nicely as a old school swinger on a Selmac doesn't it... Nice!
    It does indeed. I was thinking "of course I does, it's a swing era tune," but then I looked it up just now, and it's much later than I realized -- 1954. Cole Porter was a badass. Fred Astaire, too.

    John

  28. #27

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Hey guys. It's easy to do audio play along with these clips. If you have a tablet or smart phone, just go to the forum on that device and play the clip, using the headphone jack to send the audio to your recording device (if you are using direct lines) and play your guitar into the other. Or of course you can send the audio through a speaker and record with the mic on your phone.
    I took it a little further -- I ripped the audio from my video via one of the "youtube to mp3" sites*, pasted that into GarageBand, did a little editing to turn it into multiple choruses with a little intro, and played against that. That was just a few minutes work. To do it right, I could have mic'ed my guitar and played into GarageBand while video-ing, then pasted the GarageBand mix into my video editor and sync'ed them. But that seemed way beyond the spirit of the enterprise. I also could have just done the audio, which would have sounded better, but then you all would have been denied my stunning cinematography.

    *be very careful with these sites. Most launch pop-ups full of malware if you click the wrong button.

    John

  29. #28

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Heres one, just sitting in front of phone, I put my rhythm track (playing in browser on my ipad) through my Bose bluetooth speaker and hoped for the best. Pretty balanced for a first take. I think I'll see if anybody else posts rhythm tracks, and I'll challenge myself to do a longer video tomorrow and try playing over a few of them (not at the same time, obviously)

    Awesome! You really have that style down, and that Kay sounds great.

    John

  30. #29

    User Info Menu



    Nice to play with you Jeff :-)

  31. #30

    User Info Menu

    PS: pls to be laying down yer Charlie C licks on my Topsy thank you very much

  32. #31

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    PS: pls to be laying down yer Charlie C licks on my Topsy thank you very much
    Yessir, coming up ASAP.


    John

  33. #32

    User Info Menu

    Why aren't you all playing along to your own tracks on the monthly standards thread??? You've got to admit it's fun!

  34. #33

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77


    Nice to play with you Jeff :-)
    Hey, we ain't half bad.

    I'll give that Topsy a go today.

  35. #34

    User Info Menu

    Had a go at Topsy. This has been a very pleasant distraction folks, keep em coming!


  36. #35

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Had a go at Topsy. This has been a very pleasant distraction folks, keep em coming!

    Haha! That’s the vibe!!

  37. #36

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Had a go at Topsy. This has been a very pleasant distraction folks, keep em coming!

    Holy "Charlie Christian" Cow! That was FUN!

  38. #37

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Holy "Charlie Christian" Cow! That was FUN!
    Yeah!!! Love how the guitar breaks up on the double stops!

  39. #38

    User Info Menu

    Edited and looped this one into multiple choruses as well. This time made the video with an iPad (note to self ...), which is definitely better than my phone.



    John

  40. #39

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Had a go at Topsy. This has been a very pleasant distraction folks, keep em coming!

    Sounds great!

    John

  41. #40

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Edited and looped this one into multiple choruses as well. This time made the video with an iPad (note to self ...), which is definitely better than my phone.



    John
    Yeah John, you are COOKIN' right here.

    As am I, right now. Chicken Vesuvio

  42. #41

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Yeah John, you are COOKIN' right here.

    As am I, right now. Chicken Vesuvio
    Man, I got to get to Chicago one of these days.

    John

  43. #42

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Edited and looped this one into multiple choruses as well. This time made the video with an iPad (note to self ...), which is definitely better than my phone.



    John
    Yes.

  44. #43

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77


    Nice to play with you Jeff :-)
    Sounds great. You definitely know your away around the GJ style. Interesting to see a tuber sitting next to a youtuber to boot.

    John

  45. #44

    User Info Menu

    Not that difficult to guess the tune..


  46. #45

    User Info Menu

    Woke up this morning want to play this one.
    Such comping sounds better on my Ibanez with flatwounds but the Tele is my main guitar now, so I've got to accept the squeak, I guess. ;o)


  47. #46

    User Info Menu

    I haven't done this for anyone but as we're all here... I thought I'd try something over those bossa chords. It's a tricky little number, I tell you.


  48. #47

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Woke up this morning want to play this one.
    Such comping sounds better on my Ibanez with flatwounds but the Tele is my main guitar now, so I've got to accept the squeak, I guess. ;o)

    I'll surely jam along with this.

    You can rock flats on a tele, too...I haven't had rounds on mine in at least 15 years! And it still twangs

  49. #48

    User Info Menu

    I think some chicken pickin might work on this


  50. #49

    User Info Menu

    If you are feeling like something a teeny bit more chilled out


  51. #50

    User Info Menu

    Here we go...