User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    One chorus of rhythm.-wes3-jpg

User Info Menu

Getting there

One chorus of rhythm.-20200418_144605-02-jpg

User Info Menu

Heh heh :-)

Jeff, did you see the comment I left under this vid of yours?

User Info Menu

Lovely playing, Jeff... and the guitar looks mmm... what is it? Kay? Harmony?
    Last edited by Jonah; 05-04-2020 at 05:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Heh heh :-)

Jeff, did you see the comment I left under this vid of yours?

I had no idea that was you!

Not sure I could teach it. My "listen to and play nothing but jazz for 20 years and you too can be okay at it" concept hasn't been a huge seller.

User Info Menu

Jeff -

It was. Alf Scoggins is my YouTube name, god knows why...

Not sure I could teach it.
    You could, but I understand the reluctance. I could show anyone how to get round anything but I always have this feeling they wouldn't trust it, don't know why. Also, there's the thing of experience. You couldn't pass on the instincts and memory in the fingers.

So I don't know. Don't know much, do I?

My "listen to and play nothing but jazz for 20 years and you too can be okay at it" concept hasn't been a huge seller.
    :-)

User Info Menu

PS. I was hoping someone might try using that 'Yesterdays' backing track but it doesn't look like it. It's really fun.

User Info Menu

PS. I was hoping someone might try using that 'Yesterdays' backing track but it doesn't look like it. It's really fun.
    I was definitely considering it, but for the sake of brevity and ease of doing multiple takes I was probably going to cut your melody off, which seemed rude, so I didn't.

Re: teaching...I suppose I could relate it, but I think most people would think it's weird because the concept is so simple...and from what I've heard, itd be pretty much exactly the same as Herb Ellis's approach...my guess is folks would trust him.

User Info Menu

I did actually eat smashed avocados on toast for breakfast today.

it was lurvely.

User Info Menu

Be careful what you wish for -- you may get it. Telecaster my Ass-O-caster. Use a real guitar.

John
    Last edited by John A.; 05-05-2020 at 01:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I was definitely considering it, but for the sake of brevity and ease of doing multiple takes I was probably going to cut your melody off, which seemed rude, so I didn't.
    Oh, go for it. Heavens to Betsy, who c-a-r-e-s?

Re: teaching...I suppose I could relate it, but I think most people would think it's weird because the concept is so simple..
    That's what stops me usually. I think I said that before somewhere. But, between you and me, I think simple is exactly what they all want. Really. And you're a teacher. Sorry, that's not meant to be pressure.

it'd be pretty much exactly the same as Herb Ellis's approach...my guess is folks would trust him
    Maybe, although I'm not that stuck on Herbie myself, I prefer Joe. There was a thread about a book+audio he (Herb) did. I had it and it was quite good. Chord shapes + arpeggio + scale = nice lines ready to go. I think yours is actually simpler than that.

(But, having tried doing the instruction thing myself, I know it starts out simple but then you realise it's not.... and then it begins to defeat its own object. So I don't know).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I did actually eat smashed avocados on toast for breakfast today.
    You'll get avocado tummy. Nasty

I used to know someone who liked cold curry on toast for breakfast. Nuff said. I never did try it. But I do like avo's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Be careful what you wish for -- you may get it. Telecaster my Ass-O-caster. Use a real guitar
    John, you're a dark horse :-)

User Info Menu

The Devil's Rhumba!
    Was trying to find the right drum / percussion part for a song of mine and experimented with a rhumba beat. Always liked that rhythm. Very much a part of the New Orleans sound. (Though the NOLA rhumba is not exactly the same as The Official Rhumba.)
    Anyway, I played these changes ("Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea" in Ab) over the rhumba rhythm I found on YouTube and I liked how it felt.
    Played it this morning but without any backing, just a chorus of rhythm. I like this feel at this tempo (around 120). It becomes a two-measure rhythm and it's not the straight 4 to the bar comp but it's not the Charleston either. It's fun for me to play. I hope others like it too.

As for the recording, I plugged a lavalier mic into my iPhone. The iPhone was on a tripod atop my amp. The mic dangled down over the amp's face.

By the way, this is NOT the only shirt I own. I have five more just like it and sleep in one each night. It's what I have on first thing in the morning, which is when I tend to practice, so...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    The Devil's Rhumba!
    Was trying to find the right drum / percussion part for a song of mine and experimented with a rhumba beat. Always liked that rhythm. Very much a part of the New Orleans sound. (Though the NOLA rhumba is not exactly the same as The Official Rhumba.)
    Anyway, I played these changes ("Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea" in Ab) over the rhumba rhythm I found on YouTube and I liked how it felt.
    Played it this morning but without any backing, just a chorus of rhythm. I like this feel at this tempo (around 120). It becomes a two-measure rhythm and it's not the straight 4 to the bar comp but it's not the Charleston either. It's fun for me to play. I hope others like it too.

As for the recording, I plugged a lavalier mic into my iPhone. The iPhone was on a tripod atop my amp. The mic dangled down over the amp's face.

By the way, this is NOT the only shirt I own. I have five more just like it and sleep in one each night. It's what I have on first thing in the morning, which is when I tend to practice, so...
    That's a cool groove! And I love this standard, I think George Harrison brought it back from obscurity, well kinda.

Btw, too much info about the shirts

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    That's a cool groove! And I love this standard, I think George Harrison brought it back from obscurity, well kinda.

Btw, too much info about the shirts
    Thanks, Hep. Coming from you that means a lot to me.
    That tune has a great lick in it that is often heard in solos: "you've got me....in beTWEEN...the DEvil and the DEEP Blue Sea" Great lick and the rhythm is strong. It's just a killer lick. I think the lick is played a lot more often than the tune!

About the shirt: got it! It was my wife who said, "Did you know you're wearing the same shirt in every video? People will think you only have one shirt." I probably should have just said, "Honey, it's all guys. They wouldn't care if I did only have one shirt."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    About the shirt: got it! It was my wife who said, "Did you know you're wearing the same shirt in every video? People will think you only have one shirt." I probably should have just said, "Honey, it's all guys. They wouldn't care if I did only have one shirt."
    Yup, Mike Stern also only owns one shirt.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=cosmic gumbo;1031849]Yup, Mike Stern also only owns one shirt.[QUOTE]

Must be a Tele thang. ;o)

User Info Menu

Or a number of identical shirts

like Rick Beato.

Choice is overrated

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Lovely playing, Jeff... and the guitar looks mmm... what is it? Kay? Harmony?
    Missed this, thanks.

The acoustic archtop I play rhythm on in the first video is indeed an old Kay.

If you were referring to the electric, that's a Heritage 575.