Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 100 of 214

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    If you are feeling like something a teeny bit more chilled out

"In A Mellow Tone" with a couple extra chords thrown in compared to my contribution....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I'll surely jam along with this.

You can rock flats on a tele, too...I haven't had rounds on mine in at least 15 years! And it still twangs
    Can't wait to hear it, Jeff!

As for flats on a Tele, I guess I could try it. Mine still has the .009s that came with it. Ordered some more strings for it but not flats . Hhmmmm.

User Info Menu

I like it...but I don't know the tune...I feel like I should...
    China Boy, not such a mainstream one

User Info Menu

China Boy, not such a mainstream one
    I learned that one from Frank Vignola's chanel at TrueFire---it wasn't a tune I knew.

Has anyone done "Sweet Georgia Brown" yet?

User Info Menu

Duh, of course it is. The trip to Ab should have gave it away.

User Info Menu

Welp, China Boy is a bit too fast for me...

But that never stopped me before.

Had a few beers out in the backyard, came in and did this. So much fun, I might even keep working on this tune.

User Info Menu

A favorite 8-bar blues. (Especially love the way Grant Green did it.) Since it's only 8 bars, I played through it twice.

User Info Menu

Had a few beers out in the backyard, came in and did this. So much fun, I might even keep working on this tune.

haha I love it!

User Info Menu

Let’s try and keep this going!

on TOMMO’s backing

User Info Menu

Let’s try and keep this going!

on TOMMO’s backing

Wow! Never thought my rhythm was good enough to be chosen by anybody to play over...

User Info Menu

Chicken picking' or Western swig?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. Beaumont
    welp, china boy is a bit too fast for me...

Had a few beers out in the backyard, came in and did this. So much fun, i might even keep working on this tune.

hot!!!!

User Info Menu

Your turn, Mr Rhodes:

User Info Menu

Your turn, Mr Rhodes:

Thanks, Christian! That was neat. Love the tone of that guitar (much of which I suspect comes from your hands.)

User Info Menu

Ah thanks. Yes it's the Loar LH600 with TI bebops on it - just acoustic for this one.

You know it's funny it was sitting in its case for ages, I was thinking of selling it, and I picked it up and thought 'this is a dull sounding, nondescript guitar, why did I ever dig it?'

Then I played it for a bit, put new strings on it, thinking of getting it fixed up for a sale... Actually lowered the action and lightened the string gauge a little, and played it a bit more... using it more as a guitar with an acoustic voice rather than the sheer cannon I was playing it as before... and the guitar opened right up. Now it has that early L5ish warmth-with-strident-edge, and I love the sound of that Krivo pickup with it... Jason has made a magnetic pickup that is the most acoustic I've heard, using vibrations from the instrument as well as the strings.

And it's great for solo guitar, because my Gibson ES175 is flipping terrible for that. It's an ensemble guitar. I can barely finger chords on that stupid little '60s neck (look at my big stupid, cloddish fingers...) So the Loar's getting a lot of love. The more it's played, the better it sounds.

Sorry for that ramble haha.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Wow! Never thought my rhythm was good enough to be chosen by anybody to play over...
    Not at all, really enjoyed playing with you!

User Info Menu

As I'm studying Flying Home this week here is my impro over Mark's rhythm.

User Info Menu

Great to this is still going...I'll try a few more this week. Great fun.

User Info Menu

Really cool to see you guys find a way to sort of collaborate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by corpse
    Really cool to see you guys find a way to sort of collaborate.
    Join us!

User Info Menu

Ah thanks. Yes it's the Loar LH600 with TI bebops on it - just acoustic for this one.

You know it's funny it was sitting in its case for ages, I was thinking of selling it, and I picked it up and thought 'this is a dull sounding, nondescript guitar, why did I ever dig it?'

Then I played it for a bit, put new strings on it, thinking of getting it fixed up for a sale... Actually lowered the action and lightened the string gauge a little, and played it a bit more... using it more as a guitar with an acoustic voice rather than the sheer cannon I was playing it as before... and the guitar opened right up. Now it has that early L5ish warmth-with-strident-edge, and I love the sound of that Krivo pickup with it... Jason has made a magnetic pickup that is the most acoustic I've heard, using vibrations from the instrument as well as the strings.

And it's great for solo guitar, because my Gibson ES175 is flipping terrible for that. It's an ensemble guitar. I can barely finger chords on that stupid little '60s neck (look at my big stupid, cloddish fingers...) So the Loar's getting a lot of love. The more it's played, the better it sounds.

Sorry for that ramble haha.
    I had a Samick HF 650 for many years, which looks like the same thing as later MIK incarnations of the Aria Herb Ellis that people sometimes tout as a 175 clone (I never really thought it had the 175 sound, but that's another story). Anyway, it had that 60s-Gibson-based skinny neck/narrow nut. I didn't realize how much this factor came into play because I had never paid attention to neck dimensions. But it was always sort of "hmm, it's easy to play fast single note style on this, but why do I suck so badly at chord-melody?" I didn't really try to play that sort of thing on my Strat or my LP so comparing that dimension didn't dawn on me. Then I got my D'Angelico semi hollow, and I was all "wow, I can play a lot of stuff on this guitar." And at that point, I also tumbled onto the whole neck dimension discussion and figured it out. Sold the Samick, and didn't get another archtop for a few years until I picked up the Godin I have now (same nut width as my D'A and Fender, but chunkier neck than either). Bottom line, there are other fish in the sea, especially 175's its 1 11/16" nut widths.

John

User Info Menu

Hello.

I've been reading this forum for a long time but this time I decided to post a video. Mr. Beaumont thanks for encouragement.

Here is my one chorus of rhythm:

Tadej

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TAdej
    Hello.

I've been reading this forum for a long time but this time I decided to post a video. Mr. Beaumont thanks for encouragement.

Tadej
    Thanks for posting - is that an Ibanez AF85?

records remarkably well for rhythm
    guitar. I have one upstairs but never thought of using it for GJ lol.

User Info Menu

Ok, I crash the party with some rhythm tracks, here's one, a modern GJ standard, can you guess?

User Info Menu

a trad jazz tune

User Info Menu

I think some chicken pickin might work on this

That's my fav! Fast tunes like that kill coronavirus.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    That's my fav! Fast tunes like that kill coronavirus.
    Yes mate

User Info Menu

Yes mate

Positively smokin!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Ok, I crash the party with some rhythm tracks, here's one, a modern GJ standard, can you guess?

Dorado baby...another one I want to try.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting - is that an Ibanez AF85?

records remarkably well for rhythm
    guitar. I have one upstairs but never thought of using it for GJ lol.

Thanks for listening.
    It's an AF105. Yes it has guite nice and loud acoustic sound. I wouldn't use it for GJ either...

Tadej

User Info Menu

i hear Motherland's call in your playing?
    And she keeps calling...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jonah
    i hear motherland's call in your playing?
    And she keeps calling...

lol!

User Info Menu

Kid's got natural rhythm

User Info Menu

If you are feeling like something a teeny bit more chilled out

I tried to fumble through it by ear - I did not recognize the tune -- got lost soon and interrupted in the end --- I'll give another try tomorrow but it wont be fair as I know the changes already

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TAdej
    Hello.

Tadej
    thanks for posting

Another blind take.. it seems fun to try the tune without knowing it in advance...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Glad this thread is still going strong! Thanks again for Jeff (Mr. Beaumont) for getting this ball rolling.

A Harold Arlen tune

User Info Menu

I like the blind take idea....

User Info Menu

I actually did this in reply to Jeff (mr.beaumont) on Facebook last week. Finally got a chance to upload it here.

Loar LH-300, recorded on an iPhone XR.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    i hear Motherland's call in your playing?
    And she keeps calling...

Ha, yea, tunes like that always do

User Info Menu

I cant pass up by China boy, obviously, via Christian's track.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Glad this thread is still going strong! Thanks again for Jeff (Mr. Beaumont) for getting this ball rolling.

A Harold Arlen tune

thank you

Here is a 'blind take'. To be fair it is a second take as I did not catch the key at first.

I do not like my playing -- I like only first lines - there was something interesting in it... all the rest seemed empty and non-expressive really..
    And too much similar type of pharsing \...

But uploading somehow pushes me to go on...

I like in that 'blind take' idea is that I really hav eto listen and I very clearly see where I just 'pass by' playing a pattern (or trying it ) and where I really 'sing' a line... I deliberately try to make it more 'song-like' rather than a jazz solo...

Last edited by Jonah; 04-10-2020 at 03:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Oh, how didn't i stumble across this earlier? What a nice thread!

Some really nice contributions on here!

This is my take on one chorus of "teach me tonight" .
    Played on an unamplified Baton Rouge Prototype archtop (supposedly made by eastman)

Paul

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Webby

Played on an unamplified Baton Rouge Prototype archtop (supposedly made by eastman)

Paul
    Dayum, nice rhythm chops and tone. Is this a model that’s going to come out soon? Or a path not taken?

User Info Menu

Dayum, nice rhythm chops and tone. Is this a model that’s going to come out soon? Or a path not taken?
    Thanks for the nice words, especially coming from such a masterful player!

It never went into production, sadly because it certainly is my dream guitar! I tried to find out the backstory to this guitar, it probably was made somewhere in asia, for the BR label. Probably either by eastman or yunzhi.
    But to be true, i couldn't care less. It sounds and plays fabulous, and I only paid about 700€ for it!

Paul

User Info Menu

Paul
    That's the way to do it! Nice guitar.

User Info Menu

Paul
    Yea, nailed this style, very authentic!

User Info Menu

Yes mate

Dayum, somebody's been eating his Wheaties ...

John

User Info Menu

Couldn't resist. At least I got round it :-)

User Info Menu

OK earholing a couple of tunes I didn't know

Good practice. Don't 100% nail it, but do this a bit more and I think I'd get better.