Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I kind of dig the guitar & piano duos. I am looking for a piano player to start a duo. I was thinking of creating some kind of ad and made this vid to post on the internet. It turned out ok I think and thought I'd like to share it here too.

The ES 300 looks a bit naked without the pickguard but as some may know I had to remove it because it was outgassing and corroding my frets and strings. It still sounds like a million bucks though.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Another gem, so thoughtful how you interweave your lines with the piano, starting and stopping in a way that compliments what the piano track is playing. Do you intentionally interact with the piano, or does it just flow out of you that way. It seems pretty effortless.

Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Another gem, so thoughtful how you interweave your lines with the piano, starting and stopping in a way that compliments what the piano track is playing. Do you intentionally interact with the piano, or does it just flow out of you that way. It seems pretty effortless. Thanks in advance.
    It just came out this way. The only thing I anticipated was the way the tune ended. I had played along the track a few times. Maybe I picked something up but there was not much thinking involved during playing apart from the modulation at the end.

Thanks for listening Also!

DB

User Info Menu

I'm puzzled that this didn't get more respnses. Have commented on your YT channel already so I will do here as well:

Immensely enjoyable - great playing and love that tone!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    I'm puzzled that this didn't get more respnses. Have commented on your YT channel already so I will do here as well:
    Immensely enjoyable - great playing and love that tone!
    Thanks for the kind comment Tommo. I saw your comment under the vid in my channel.

I often ask myself too what makes people tick here. I think the common interest is more in the chord melody field. Not single note improvisation. Correct me if I am wrong.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog

I often ask myself too what makes people tick here. I think the common interest is more in the chord melody field. Not single note improvisation. Correct me if I am wrong.

DB
    Could be an explanation... but then there's a lot of threads about improvisation....

User Info Menu

Well played!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

That's great. Loved it.

User Info Menu

Hi, D,
    Nice playing. I have listened to many of your recordings and it seems to me that your guitar in this video is using a lot more treble than in the past. For my ears, I'd like the sound better if you kicked back off the treble for a slightly more rounded sound while not losing overall clarity. However, if that's your sound-- o.k. Secondly, shouldn't we all ask why we need a pickguard? Classical guitars have never used one and if your nails scarred below the strings(tremolo/rasgueados) it was considered by most as character to your instrument. However, it is my opinion that the pickguard was developed for the hordes of Rock and Rollers and Country Western guitarists who beat the death of of their instrument with a pick . . . especially below the strings. You're not in that category.
    As far as those on this Forum preferring Chord Melody vs. linear playing, I would guess it's probably evenly divided but I don't think that's an issue here. Who knows why some respond while others don't.
    Finally, when I was playing for a living(????), I used to contact the Chicago Federation of Music 10-208 when I needed a sub and they would , many times, provide names of quality musicians who could do the gig. Try your local union. You might be pleasantly surprised. And, many times you'll get the better player since no one wants to pay dues unless they need it to get the better paying jobs. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, D,
    Nice playing. I have listened to many of your recordings and it seems to me that your guitar in this video is using a lot more treble than in the past. For my ears, I'd like the sound better if you kicked back off the treble for a slightly more rounded sound while not losing overall clarity. However, if that's your sound-- o.k. Secondly, shouldn't we all ask why we need a pickguard? Classical guitars have never used one and if your nails scarred below the strings(tremolo/rasgueados) it was considered by most as character to your instrument. However, it is my opinion that the pickguard was developed for the hordes of Rock and Rollers and Country Western guitarists who beat the death of of their instrument with a pick . . . especially below the strings. You're not in that category.
    As far as those on this Forum preferring Chord Melody vs. linear playing, I would guess it's probably evenly divided but I don't think that's an issue here. Who knows why some respond while others don't.
    Finally, when I was playing for a living(????), I used to contact the Chicago Federation of Music 10-208 when I needed a sub and they would , many times, provide names of quality musicians who could do the gig. Try your local union. You might be pleasantly surprised. And, many times you'll get the better player since no one wants to pay dues unless they need it to get the better paying jobs. Good playing . . . Marinero
    Thanks for listening Marinero. How did you listen to the clip? I'd be interested because on my hifi speakers it does not sound overly trebly. I did use some more compression on the guitar though. I don't like trebly sounding guitars at all. I prefer a dry, pretty dark, woody tone.

I never mix my clips so that they sound good on iPads and iPhones/Android phones. These invariably add treble to the sound and sharpen up everything and kill the lows. I mix on hifi speakers and assume that most listeners use these as well. Hence my question.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    Thanks for listening Marinero. How did you listen to the clip? I'd be interested because on my hifi speakers it does not sound overly trebly. I did use some more compression on the guitar though. I don't like trebly sounding guitars at all. I prefer a dry, pretty dark, woody tone.

I never mix my clips so that they sound good on iPads and iPhones/Android phones. These invariably add treble to the sound and sharpen up everything and kill the lows. I mix on hifi speakers and assume that most listeners use these as well. Hence my question.

DB
    Hi, D,
    I'm a low tech dinosasur from the Mesozoic Era--ergo, on my computer. I haven't quite become a member of Hominidae who in recent times dabbles in the Dark Sciences. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

sounds good DB
    did you wind up keeping all the guitars after you got the 350?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    sounds good DB
    did you wind up keeping all the guitars after you got the 350?
    Yes, I still have them, including the ES 300 as you can see.

DB