Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

What with virus isolation and all I could use some new material to work with. I'm really sick of iReal's players. I did a search for Jamey A backing tracks and was kinda overwhelmed by all the different options.

I really like what DB is using for Just Friends, and McJazzer's and Lawson's Donna Lees. What are they and what's the best way to get tracks like these? Can you adjust tempo or keys with them?

I don't mind paying fair price for the good stuff.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Have you searched YT? There's some good stuff - you just have to sift through the not so good ones...

Guitare Improvisation has some good ones fo example....

User Info Menu

For Donna Lee I'm using the Hal Leonard tracks generated for their publication of the Real Book Vols. 1-2. I like them a lot. I find the Aebersold backing tracks have the piano way too busy, almost doubling the melody sometimes. The Aebersold have the advantage that you can dial out the piano and just have the bass and drums, though. So I fiddle with both of them.

Some of the backing tracks on YouTube are done on Band-in-a-Box, but by guys who really know how to work that software to produce pretty life-like results. Generally, I prefer to use Aebersold or Hal Leonard because of live musicians being used on the tracks. Aebersold actually did a lot of his backing tracks with a soloist in the booth that the musicians could interact with.

Hal Leonard has also released sets with 10-12 tunes each, backing tracks and lead sheets.

User Info Menu

MrSunnybass
    - YouTube

a playlist:

CONCERT PITCH Jamie Aebersold PLAY ALONGS - YouTube

there is also an aebersold spotify playlist

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    MrSunnybass
    - YouTube

a playlist:

CONCERT PITCH Jamie Aebersold PLAY ALONGS - YouTube

there is also an aebersold spotify playlist
    Many thanks! Was aware of the Sunnybass channel but haven't come across the other one!

User Info Menu

Thanks All. This gives me some tried and true places to start. I believe I'll buy the Hal Leonard download so I can have these when I'm in the sticks and away from internet. I know it's hard to believe in this day and age... but it happens several times a year!

User Info Menu

Not bad sellection of free tracks.

Index of Jazz Standards - Learn Jazz Standards

Example

User Info Menu

Anyone not tired of iRealpro? At first they seemed fresh compared to old Band in a Box material, but the lack of real good styles or more modern styles, makes it ever so boring.

i’ve encountered the same dread some years ago and began tweaking band in a box styles. But even then it didn’t come close to what a good jazz bass player or drummer are doing.

So I came up with my own styles. Took me ages, it is hard to make, but I think I’m really on to something here. And hope it will work for others, too.

an example...

if you hear static or boring jazz styles (yamaha, band in a box, iRealpro), they are not the result of limitations of MIDI or technology. They are the result of lousy or lazy programming. Believe me. There is more to do with midi than most people think.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djang
    Anyone not tired of iRealpro? .
    if you hear static or boring jazz styles (yamaha, band in a box, iRealpro), they are not the result of limitations of MIDI or technology. .
    i understand what you are saying but the bigger picture with ireal pro is it was designed for a specific purpose. which was great rather like a realbook is static it does not change, if one wants more or different get another book.

band in the box is different animal, it costs a load more almost 10x irealpro. obviously its desktop or laptop based. ireal was orig develop on android/iphone so pretty amazing.

whilst on this i agree if irealpro can export as midi why cant it play or allow you put chords on the and upbeats etc. irealpro does not sound that bad exported as wave and [played back as backing track. overall i think it is still pretty darn good, but too wish for a few more bells.
    Last edited by Durban; 04-18-2020 at 09:19 AM.

User Info Menu

listened to several of your tunes . all good don't knock your playing. thats darn fine too. are playing piano on a couple?

User Info Menu

Tried to change from guitar to piano, but then got sucked up by drumming and bass playing. Thx for the comment... I just got so tired of all these corny styles...