Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Here's a full clip of our Chet Baker Tribute from last sunday. The tune is "Sad Walk." Sound and audio are lofi, with some distortion. The bass player had placed his camera in the wrong place so our trumpet player is not visible unfortunately. The camera gave up after about 20 minutes so not much was left ...

DB

Last edited by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog; 02-15-2020 at 08:19 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

nice db..i have said it before..great project to be involved in!

much luck

cheers

User Info Menu

Beautiful tune (Bob Zieff?) and playing. A very sensitive, low-volume setting and performance. Love that trumpet tone. It is sad---in the way Jobim meant when he said 'sadness is more beautiful than hapiness'...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Beautiful tune (Bob Zieff?) and playing. A very sensitive, low-volume setting and performance. Love that trumpet tone. It is sad---in the way Jobim meant when he said 'sadness is more beautiful than hapiness'...
    Thanks Joel and yes, it's a Bob Zieff tune. Chet played that tune all his life.

DB

User Info Menu

Let me tell you folks, I was never a big fan of the trumpet, at least not the way I loved the Sax - but you have converted me guys.

By the way, I loved the sound quality of all the instruments in the recording.

This was IMHO, exceptionally nice, smoky Jazz. And I like the way the guitar sits strong in the mix instead of sounding like a lesser stepbrother they way it is in so many recordings.

Really good, empathetic Jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Let me tell you folks, I was never a big fan of the trumpet, at least not the way I loved the Sax - but you have converted me guys. By the way, I loved the sound quality of all the instruments in the recording. This was IMHO, exceptionally nice, smoky Jazz. And I like the way the guitar sits strong in the mix instead of sounding like a lesser stepbrother they way it is in so many recordings.Really good, empathetic Jazz.
    Thanks a lot Also. We did not use a sound system so no mixing was involved. Just our amps. What you hear is the sound on the stage. The camera was directly in front of it.

DB

User Info Menu

I have to ask about the reception you are getting, given the fact that Jazz is not the most popular music in these times and your group is really good (IMHO). Are you drawing an audience with these performances? Are you gents starting to become popular enough that other venues are asking you to play? Is this style of Jazz even popular in your area?

I ask this because I am curious about the "current state of demand" for Jazz. I can't help but hearken back to comments in a thread in which it was sad that Joe Pass himself was playing in a small restaurant, and the customers were hardly paying attention to him.

Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Love this. What a great project...Chet's European trios are some of my favorite music ever made.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    I have to ask about the reception you are getting, given the fact that Jazz is not the most popular music in these times and your group is really good (IMHO). Are you drawing an audience with these performances? Are you gents starting to become popular enough that other venues are asking you to play? Is this style of Jazz even popular in your area? I ask this because I am curious about the "current state of demand" for Jazz. I can't help but hearken back to comments in a thread in which it was sad that Joe Pass himself was playing in a small restaurant, and the customers were hardly paying attention to him.Thanks in advance.
    I think the situation for jazz is only slightly better over here in Europe than in the US, if at all. Jazz is not really popular but has a small fanbase in each city probably. Not so much in the country though. It's an urban thing. We are still starting up as a trio and have only done 2 gigs so far but the reactions were really positive on those and we succeeded in capturing the audience well enough.The Chet thing is really cool and people seem to love the intimate setting and the lyricism. We will have to hustle for each new gig probably. Maybe later the word will go around a bit so that we will be asked to come and play. But we are not name players, just local ones. We don't think big and we'll be happy to do the occasional gig in this trio. We will not work for free though, as so many do around here.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    I think the situation for jazz is only slightly better over here in Europe than in the US, if at all. Jazz is not really popular but has a small fanbase in each city probably. Not so much in the country though. It's an urban thing. We are still starting up as a trio and have only done 2 gigs so far but the reactions were really positive on those and we succeeded in capturing the audience well enough.The Chet thing is really cool and people seem to love the intimate setting and the lyricism. We will have to hustle for each new gig probably. Maybe later the word will go around a bit so that we will be asked to come and play. But we are not name players, just local ones. We don't think big and we'll be happy to do the occasional gig in this trio. We will not work for free though, as so many do around here.

DB
    It will be interesting to see this goes. You have a solid group there, and I know you would get many invites over here to play if you so desired. Its great that you are not obsessed with getting gigs and playing out.

I hope you guys get at minimum, satisfaction, from this endeavor. As you can see from the reactions around here, you three sound really good.