Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Ellington's beautiful piece played more or less rubato. Available for purchase (Joel Fass and Friends Jam for Eddie Diehl. The other tracks are duets w/Sheryl Bailey and Ray Macchiarolla, and one live track of Eddie w/Bob Dorough and Bill Takas):

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What a great piece of music. Nice stuff.

User Info Menu

nice!..very evocative of the duke version & era in general

a beauty

cheers

Thanks, gents.

Now, as a preventative to my head getting even a little swelled---ha!---here's the Maestro:

...and Bill Evans's rendition, which moves me so (he also played it on-air on Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz back in '78):

User Info Menu

Really splendid Joel. Beautiful.

User Info Menu

Wonderful, lyrical voice. Big sound. Very nice! Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Lovely, Joel. Thanks.

Thank you all for the kind words----of course I'm humbled and inspired by the two masters alluded to here, also the great pianist Chris Anderson. I've mentioned Chris before. Many of his recordings, including the rubato ballads that make me want to do it myself can be found here: Chris Anderson Jazz Please check him out---he was very special.

It goes w/o saying I wouldn't dare to try to be them. You put your influences and your own gifts and feelings in a funnel, marinate---and in the end it comes out you...

User Info Menu

always nice to see a chris anderson mention!!!

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    always nice to see a chris anderson mention!!!

cheers
    I'll tell you more about him sometime. We were friends, and I played with him a few times.

He was as warm, honest, and unique as his music. For all his sidelining maladies---including bones so brittle he may have spent half his life in hospitals---he got through it, and with an elfin sense of humor about himself and life. After he died I wrote a dedication piece: Waltz For a Laughing Pixie. It's in my ad-hoc bands' repertoire.

He was special, special, special...

User Info Menu

Nice, fass! I gave it a Like, now I better not find out that you didn't give my shit on YT a Like, or I'm gonna whoop yo' ass, fass! Now that you live down in the South...

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Nice, fass! I gave it a Like, now I better not find out that you didn't give my shit on YT a Like, or I'm gonna whoop yo' ass, fass! Now that you live down in the South...
    You can't get me. Got my spiked suit on---with a Joe Puma mask, which would scare anyone. Nyuk, nyuk...

User Info Menu

"why i oughta..."

haha

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    "why i oughta..."

haha

cheers
    Don't get me started! An equine-faced salty dog comedian---and great player...

User Info Menu

Great stuff, Joel.

John