Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Recorded in duet with Ray Macchioralla 3 years ago for the now available Joel Fass and Friends Jam for Eddie Diehl. A bit out of both our comfort zones, and you gotta do that sometimes or stay in the same place:


  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    cool...replete with brief round about midnight quote!! hah

    reminds me of coryell...maybe the duets with mclaughlin on spaces a bit

    good stuff


    cheers

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    cool...replete with brief round about midnight quote!! hah

    reminds me of coryell...maybe the duets with mclaughlin on spaces a bit

    good stuff


    cheers
    Thanks. I guess the quotes kept it real, and me centered!

    I just said to Ray 'let's make something up', and it came out that. If you know Ray's playing at all, he can swing you into next year, and I like that myself, plus a variety of 'regular' things. So when he consented to go this way with me I wasn't surprised---just delighted.

    I wanna do more like this...

  5. #4
    One of the more adventurous duets with great players stretching: Jimmy and Me---Jimmy Raney/Attila Zoller. They're mostly playing standards, but taking them places they didn't usually go. (Well, Attila did---with Lee Konitz and Don Friedman)...

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Thanks for sharing this. I enjoyed it; definitely get the Coryell echo. Great that the two of you were open to taking chances.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by L50EF15
    Thanks for sharing this. I enjoyed it; definitely get the Coryell echo. Great that the two of you were open to taking chances.
    Thanks. It was spur-of-the-moment. Ray is one of the most swinging players. He's recorded with Doug Lawrence, Richard Wyands, etc., etc. I've know him forever, and in my wildest dreams could never imagine him going so out of his comfort zone on a whim of mine. And it came out! And made me want to explore this kind of thing a lot more.

    I never heard the Coryell things mentioned here a few times. What are they, and where can I hear them?

  8. #7
    One final thought: going 'out'---and some would even find this tame---doesn't have to be screaming or shrill. You just have to listen, trust and offer...

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    The albums to get are Spaces and Planet End. Some amazing stuff with Coryell and John McLaughlin, and a Coryell-Miroslav Vitous duet on Scott LaFaro’s “Gloria’s Step.”

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    It's wonderful when you discover artists you may not have heard of or listened to before, Brother Fass.

    Here is a clip from Youtube, as suggested by L50EF15 - Planet's End.






  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by L50EF15
    The albums to get are Spaces and Planet End. Some amazing stuff with Coryell and John McLaughlin, and a Coryell-Miroslav Vitous duet on Scott LaFaro’s “Gloria’s Step.”
    Thanks!

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Just out of bed. Enjoyed that a lot! Great way to enter the day.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quiet out is my favorite space in the multiverse. I could totally live there

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    Quiet out is my favorite space in the multiverse. I could totally live there
    Maybe we could share an apartment.

    Long as you pay...

  15. #14
    Gents, check this out---it's wonderful:


  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Gents, check this out---it's wonderful:

    Nice!

  17. #16
    Or (and this one turned me around):


  18. #17
    I'm putting this up again b/c I think it's one of the best things I've ever done (that goes for Ray, too)---I want to do more like it; the CD is out (and reviewed already); and just---because...