Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Here's Jimmy Smith, organ; Herman Riley, sax; and Terry Evans, guitar on the famous sax standard: Honky Tonk. If you were a sax player in the 50's, 60's and 70s, this was soup du jour. The last time I played this as a saxophonist was in a strip club in Chicago in 1974 on the South Side of Chicago. Good playing . . . Marinero


  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Wow, imagine going to a strip club and hearing good music, not the crap they play now. So I've been told.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    And people ask why have a bridge pickup on a jazz box!

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    on a sociological old chicagoan studs terkel bend...the old strip clubs grew out of vaudeville...they had live music...lots of first rate jazz players went through that mill...

    carried thru to the 60's..when typical LA clubs had dancing girls and girls in the cages around rock bands..

    todays world is all pre-recorded and kick drum beat driven

    cheers

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Wow, imagine going to a strip club and hearing good music, not the crap they play now. So I've been told.
    A

    And the places with the cheap buffets!

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    A

    And the places with the cheap buffets!

    I've played with guys who would carry Tupperware to gigs.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Back to Honky Tonk; you can't argue with that backbeat.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    on a sociological old chicagoan studs terkel bend...the old strip clubs grew out of vaudeville...they had live music...lots of first rate jazz players went through that mill...

    carried thru to the 60's..when typical LA clubs had dancing girls and girls in the cages around rock bands..

    todays world is all pre-recorded and kick drum beat driven

    cheers
    A lot of name jazzers had work in those strip joints: Joe Pass, Art Pepper, and who-all else I don't know, but plenty. It was work, and they played jazz behind the gals. That was L.A.. Dunno what went down back East. Probably the same. Lotsa drooling guys (many married) who wanted to drink and see women undress...

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Here's Jimmy Smith, organ; Herman Riley, sax; and Terry Evans, guitar on the famous sax standard: Honky Tonk. If you were a sax player in the 50's, 60's and 70s, this was soup du jour. The last time I played this as a saxophonist was in a strip club in Chicago in 1974 on the South Side of Chicago. Good playing . . . Marinero

    I was tight with a lovely cat and underrated tenor player, Percy France. (He helped me get started in the biz at the old West End in the '80s). Anyway, Percy recorded with Smith on Home Cookin', and played Honky Tonk umpteen times in umpteen situations. He was so associated with it I assumed he was on the original Bill Dogget (sp?) recording. It was someone else.

    Lord only knows how many other tenor players played Honky Tonk in organ groups at the height of their popularity. No escaping it, and anyway not a bad tune of that ilk. I love blues and grease myself...

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    I would be disturbed to hear this in a strip club. I only can focus on one single thing....

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    A lot of name jazzers had work in those strip joints: Joe Pass, Art Pepper, and who-all else I don't know, but plenty. It was work, and they played jazz behind the gals. That was L.A.. Dunno what went down back East. Probably the same. Lotsa drooling guys (many married) who wanted to drink and see women undress...
    I remember reading Coltrane's comment that he'd jumped of the bar he was honking & squealing along & ran out the back when Mal Waldren (?) came looking for a tenor player...

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Not really, but:



    (Couldn't get the full LP up, sorry)...

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    I remember reading Coltrane's comment that he'd jumped of the bar he was honking & squealing along & ran out the back when Mal Waldren (?) came looking for a tenor player...
    I think that was Benny Golson who walked in. The story is in his autobiog. They were good friends and Trane was very embarrassed. I think the walking out the back door is apocryphal. In the book he just put his head down and said something like 'You would? have to come in here!'...

  15. #14
    Geez, Guys,
    Didn't you see those two girls in the corner? I think the horns will get them dancing . . . Marinero's on his way!


  16. #15
    Sorry, guys,
    I just can't help myself. Here's Bill Doggett in France, 1972. Check out that guitar! I hope you enjoy!
    Good playing . . . Marinero



  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    I think that was Benny Golson who walked in. The story is in his autobiog. They were good friends and Trane was very embarrassed. I think the walking out the back door is apocryphal. In the book he just put his head down and said something like 'You would? have to come in here!'...
    Trane's or Golsons' - I don't remember reading either....not sure where I did read it tho'