Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

A tombeau was a 17th-century dedicatory piece from one musician to another who had passed. I was a big fan of Charlie Haden back in the late 70s and through the 80s, especially his work with Ornette - my favourite album was the one they did together, called Soapsuds, Soapsuds.

Anyway, I've been listening to Charlie again over the Christmas break, and playing bass a lot. I intended to record something else, and set the camera up, but when the time came to record I couldn't be bothered - so I grabbed the fretless, and this came out instead. It's just me thinking about Charlie, his poetry and politics.

The bass is an Ibanez SRH500F, unplugged, with the microphone very close as it's a solid body. Sorry the camera is not placed well for the instrument - it was for the other instrument I never recorded!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds good Rob, I am impressed that you got such a good recorded sound from an unplugged solid bass!

User Info Menu

I like it too! Might do more this way.

User Info Menu

Beautiful tribute. And yes, wonderful sound. Would not have believed it was an unplugged solid body!

User Info Menu

Cheers, Jeff. And a relatively inexpensive bass too.

User Info Menu

I have a fretless "violin" shaped bass that's actually hollow...it's currently living with someone else who was using it for a recording project. I might need to go reclaim it

User Info Menu

Ha. I got my daughter a Hofner "Beatles" bass, which is great fun to play. It did make me think of playing the Hofner hollow fretless...a bit expensive, though!

Tombeau for Charlie Haden-screenshot-2020-01-02-17-29-05-jpg

User Info Menu

nice tribute rob..haden was a fave of mine as well...

hofner beatle bass is lots of fun..easy playing and light as a feather

cheers

User Info Menu

Of course he was a fave of yours as well, my friend. We seem to have lived parallel lives! At least in the 70s/80s.

User Info Menu

Back in the 80s I saw Charlie Haden’s Liberation Music Orchestra, stirring stuff.

User Info Menu

Lucky you! Carla Bley wrote amazing arrangements, tunes too.

User Info Menu

hey rob, don't want to steer away from your beautiful post..but when was the last time you heard this? probably hadens most iconic tune done by the equally iconic robert wyatt...with matching moles bassist bill maccormick (he used a shortscale gibby bass)

robert wyatt-song for che (by haden)

cheers

User Info Menu

Great, isn't it. I love Wyatt too, and Bill never set a foot wrong. As for Che...