Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Trying out some things picked up from Randy Vincent, such as comping chords and arpeggios going 3, 5, 7, 9, R, 3, 5, 7 for the solo up until the Cm chord, where a lick from Mimi Fox kicks in. These guys are helping me extend by blues playing. I don't play exactly what they outline, but have started messing with it already in just a few days.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice, Rob.
    I know that Mimi Fox lick! It's a good 'un.

When you say 'things picked up from Randy Vincent,' are you talking about The Guitarist's Introduction to Jazz or to other books of his?

User Info Menu

Yes, Mark, that's the only book of his I have at the moment. Check out page 64 where he talks about the "perpetual arpeggio". I took that idea and put it through the blues changes up to the Cm chord. I'm exploring using it in different contexts too. Great fun.

User Info Menu

The thing about the 35791357 arpeggio is that the 7 falls to the 3 of the next chord. And you can jump up and down octaves, of course, so it doesn't sound like an exercise. Add some rhythm and approach notes, and it can get interesting.

User Info Menu

I like it!
    Hope you don't mind me stealing a couple of those chords (thanks).

User Info Menu

guitar and playing sounds great as always !!!- I ( ok! my weaver/knitter/tatter/embroiderer wife) want to know about the scarf??

Will

User Info Menu

Paul - well, I already stole them from Randy Vincent, and he probably heard them somewhere else, and on it goes. We are all magpies...

Will - I suggested to my daughter that she open a store called The Scarf Joint, but she failed to see the guitar neck pun there, and who could blame her? She's currently doing a Masters Degree in Textiles at the Royal College of Art in London, selling scarves to help buy food. She made my scarf for my birthday, and it's made from beautiful Italian cashmere It's cold here, so I'm wearing it indoors!

User Info Menu

We can't argue that tone, very nice sound!

User Info Menu

Indeed. It's a gig-worthy guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Indeed. It's a gig-worthy guitar.
    It’s a gig-worthy scarf, too.

User Info Menu

That perpetual arpeggio idea sounds great. Are those nice comping moves in Randy's "Intro" book too?

User Info Menu

Yes, they are. It's a good book.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Yes, they are. It's a good book.

Thanks for reply. I went through a period of buying way too many jazz books but based on your Bb blues, recommendation and sample pages on Sher website I just ordered it. The book appears to be comprehensive without being overwhelming plus having no TAB is something I appreciate.

User Info Menu

Thanks - very smooth

Check out page 64 where he talks about the "perpetual arpeggio". I took that idea and put it through the blues changes up to the Cm chord.
    I also used that excersise extending basic priciple to whatever changes are there... some kind of navigating harmonies withmodulations and all.

fun excersise for better aprpeggio mapping.

Reminded me the things that Pat Metheny plays when warming up before concerts... he used to say that he likes warming up for hours sometimes ... and he never plays music when he is warming -- only changes and mostly connecting them through arps and lines

User Info Menu

What does HE know?!

User Info Menu

I picked up Randy's Intro book...very good...also working with Garrison Fewell's book.

As we all know so many different ways to look at the same thing on the guitar. I stumbled on this this morning since I am working on both books

Perpetual arpeggio 3 - 5 - 7 -9 is the same thing that Garrison suggests for a dominant chord.....Garrison says play a Min7b5 arpeggio from the third degree of the dominant chord. Same notes.......I think...my head hurts