Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Yesterday our Chet Baker Project saw its first gig. Here's a video of the trio playing "You Can't Go Home again." It was recorded before a live audience. What a beautiful tune and so tragically true for Chet.

DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Beautiful playing from all of you - thanks for posting!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Simply mesmerizing.

I have to ask you about your comping, DB. We have witnessed years of tips and videos showcasing your single-note lines and improvisation. I don't believe I have ever heard you comping for an extended period of time. Your choice of arpeggiating chords mixed with the soft strumming reminded me of the comping I have heard on my great ballads of yesteryear.

So, do you have a huge chord vocabulary or do you have go-to chords that you use. Did you put as much effort into your comping as you did your single-note prowess?

I am just curious because this is a different side of you that I have not really seen. Bravo to all of you for that somberly beautiful song performance. The tone of all was so otherwordly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
    Simply mesmerizing.

So, do you have a huge chord vocabulary or do you have go-to chords that you use. Did you put as much effort into your comping as you did your single-note prowess?

I am just curious because this is a different side of you that I have not really seen. Bravo to all of you for that somberly beautiful song performance. The tone of all was so otherwordly.
    Thanks Also for the kind comments.

No, my comping did not receive the same attention as my single note playing but I get by just fine using my standard vocabulary, which is not that huge. I am not one to use modern comping harmonies though. For the trio I use the common and pretty standard chord shapes that Doug Raney uses on his 80s recordings with Chet. There are very little hip harmonies in his approach to comping on the Chet albums - he was very young at the time - and often the standard chord shapes are used. However his placing of the chords - so his time - is great. Also I copy little things such as his tendency to play minor 9 chords and dominant 13 chords rather than minor 7s and 7 chords. He does that all the time. I have listened a lot to his comping and his chord shapes are really easy to determine. Very close to what I have been using all my life to begin with. Nothing hip and advanced but really highly effective.

I often leave out the bass notes when playing with a bass player, so rootless voicings rather than the full forms. No need to play in the low register in that case.

Sometimes I drop the pick and play with my fingers. Below there's another clip of last Friday's concert where I do that: How deep is the ocean.

In a duo I often use Freddy Green style chords with some voice leading. I did a video on that once.

DB

User Info Menu

Outstanding. Really captures the vibe of those Baker drummerless trips with Raney.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing your approach. You fellows seem to really capture that smoky, somber vibe that I have heard in great ballads. I was not a fan of ballads, but I am truly coming to appreciate them.

Again, Thanks.

User Info Menu

Exquisitely expressed melancholy.... Thank you!
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

Thank you for posting! Very masterful and tasteful playing. A pleasure to watch and listen to.

User Info Menu

wonderful stuff...an auspicious debut!!

some very lyrical horn playing...ala chet, miles, nat adderley, tony fruscella, art farmer

nodody did ballads like those guys

full speed ahead!

cheers

User Info Menu

DB sounds great as always, that trumpet player's excellent
    cool trio fellas!

User Info Menu

Lovely tune, lovely performance. Thanks for not overdoing it! This was beautiful.
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola