Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

An impression of the new trio I am playing in. It was a rehearsal and we are still working to get our stuff together. We are trying to recreate some of the vibes that Chet generated in his trios with guitar (Doug Raney, Philippe Catherine) in the early and mid 1980s.

The fragments are:
    1. Blue Room
    2. In Your Own Sweet Way
    3. Leaving
    4. I Waited For You
    5. Love For Sale
    6. Gnid
    7. For Minors Only
    8. Sad Walk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cool DB,
    Always dug those recordings.
    We've been playing this one lately based on Sonny Rollins "Doxy"

User Info Menu

nice goal to strive for..can't beat that chet-raney-nhop trio vibe!!...one of the best ever...

(i love nhop more and more these days...incredible bassist without all the "outward" flash that gave many of his contemporaries the glory, yet still always amazingly deep and interesting)

nice playing..have fun & enjoy

cheers

User Info Menu

Great project, and it sounds like you guys are up to the task. Have to say I'm a little jealous!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    nice goal to strive for..can't beat that chet-raney-nhop trio vibe!!...one of the best ever...
    nice playing..have fun & enjoy cheers
    Thanks and agreed on the chet raney NHOP. Those records are incredible. Doug was only 23 at the time and already a beautiful player.

DB

Last edited by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog; 10-31-2019 at 07:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft View Post
    Great project, and it sounds like you guys are up to the task. Have to say I'm a little jealous!
    Thanks. We need some rehearsal time but I think we can pull it off to a satisfactory level. It's not that we want to duplicate the original trio with Raney and NHOP of course. Can't be done anyway. We just want to play in that spirit and generate some Chet like lyricism. We have the first try out gig end of november.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog View Post
    Thanks. We need some rehearsal time but I think we can pull it off to a satisfactory level. It's not that we want to duplicate the original trio with Raney and NHOP of course. Can't be done anyway. We just want to play in that spirit and generate some Chet like lyricism. We have the first try out gig end of november.

DB
    I think you are most definitely succeeding in capturing that spirit and vibe. Love those recordings, and your efforts convey the same musicality.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

Great stuff DB!

Midnight Blues

User Info Menu

A) It’s wonderful
    B) I am so thankful you made me discover the Chet Baker trio!

Thanks. Besides, your site is a great source of inspiration and information. One of the few places where I could find something about the wonderful Remo Palmieri!

User Info Menu

Great stuff, DB. I'd love to spend an evening in a club listening to you guys.

Doug Raney at 23 was the mature player already. What a talent. The rest of the band weren't bad either!

Your video has just reminded me that some 30 years ago I was in a band with a trumpet player, with two acoustic guitars and one double bass. We wrote our own music and ruined that of others. Looking back, I have to say it must have sounded pretty poor, but drunk people (who like anything) liked it!

User Info Menu

Good to hear you playing without backing tracks. Sounds good!

User Info Menu

Dick!

(Who're the cats?).

Always nice to 'see' you---JF

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf View Post
    Dick! (Who're the cats?).Always nice to 'see' you---JF
    Hi Joel,

I don't think you'd know them. Just some local jazz heroes. Very good players though! The bass player teaches at a conservatory.

DB

User Info Menu

Hi Joel,

I don't think you'd know them. Just some local jazz heroes. Very good players though! The bass player teaches at a conservatory.

DB
    Try me----you know I know some Netherlanders having lived there (briefly) twice...

User Info Menu

Thanks and agreed on the chet raney NHOP. Those records are incredible. Doug was only 23 at the time and already a beautiful player.

DB

FWIW my thoughts:

Doug was well beyond the embryonic stage in Chet's group (let me clarify: I heard him on a gig with Dad and Mike Moore at 17 and that was talent not yet developed but apparent). He IS playing beautifully, but still using the master's phrases (normal for a 23-year-old with a father who just happened to be an all-time great---at least IMO). Jimmy used to tell me about Doug's time, and you can see how good it was here. What I didn't know was how well he already could comp. Jimmy was one of the greatest soloists yet a sort of indifferent comper to me. Of course he had incredible ears but it was a bland sort of comping with great time (years later he got way bolder with Atilla Zoller on Jimmy and Me---a great conversation!). Doug, though---wow!

Once Doug came out from Jimmy's shadow and spoke in HIS voice (a bit of a fatter sound and other influences than Dad) he really brought it all the way out. He was one of the best.

The Raneys were and are important in my life. Jimmy was an important mentor/teacher in '79-'80. He really helped me with the single string thing then. I regret that I didn't know Doug---only met him at Dad's memorial in '95. Jon has become a friend and came to one of my gigs even. They are special, special people.

I salute you for this project, Dick. That WAS one hell of a trio---what a blend, and what sensitivity to Chet's softer dynamic...

User Info Menu

DB, I truly enjoyed it. You all seem to be having a great time. I'm jealous.

User Info Menu

So good to see, dare I say it, one of our own playing Jazz at such a high level (along with other very competent players).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
    So good to see, dare I say it, one of our own playing Jazz at such a high level (along with other very competent players).
    Glad you liked it and thanks Alsoran. I'm not really satisfied yet with the interplay. We need a few more rehearsals or - even better - gigs but I'm sure this trio can go places. I'll record some more over time and hope it is going to be what I think it can be.

DB