Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

It's been several months since I last posted stuff online. Firstly, because I had wrist problems - my hand was in a brace for 6 weeks - and secondly because I had some motivational problems to be online anyway. That happens to me regularly. So no Blog entries either for months ...

Well, as it is I am playing again. Hopefully my new trio (Trio Chet, think a tribute to the classic trio with NHOP and Doug Raney from the 1983 recordings) can lift the playing spirits again ...

Here's a vid from from me playing an Eric Kloss tune from the great album "About Time" with Pat Martino and Don Patterson. I thought the title was kind of appropriate. Hope you like. It's a head you don't hear often.

DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

DB-What brand brace is that? If I wear one, will I play like you?Missed you. Glad you're back. Love to hear and see you play. That Tal just KILLS. Or Makes Alive. You and it are lightning and thunder.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Good to see and hear you, DB. You do that Tal proud! Take care of that wrist!
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    DB-What brand brace is that? If I wear one, will I play like you?Missed you. Glad you're back. Love to hear and see you play. That Tal just KILLS. Or Makes Alive. You and it are lightning and thunder.
    LOL. You don't want my brace. You want a Tal Farlow! Get one Lawson and you will sound like me right away.

All kidding aside. I recorded the Tal through a valve pre-amp only and added a little reverb. That's all. It's a tone monster.

DB

User Info Menu

Classic sound with some classy playing. Thanks for posting!

Sooo.... is that a custom 20" Tal, or are you a leprechaun? :-)

(the wide angle distortion in the opening shot kinda cracked me up)

User Info Menu

Great playing. I always like your videos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog View Post
    LOL. You don't want my brace. You want a Tal Farlow! Get one Lawson and you will sound like me right away.

All kidding aside. I recorded the Tal through a valve pre-amp only and added a little reverb. That's all. It's a tone monster.

DB
    Well I am really happy with the tone I'm getting from my guitars and amps, but I was still totally wow'd by your sound. And your playing, of course.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Never played a Tal Farlow, is it common it sounds that way or is it an upgraded or a very good sounding one ? I'm impressed by the playing too, not just the guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft View Post
    Classic sound with some classy playing. Thanks for posting! Sooo.... is that a custom 20" Tal, or are you a leprechaun? :-)
    (the wide angle distortion in the opening shot kinda cracked me up)
    No, it's a normal TF. I am not a tall guy but, like you say, the opening shot is distorted by the wide angle camera. Every time I sit too close to the camera the guitar looks incredibly big. It's better on the following shots. I need to keep some distance from the camera.

Thanks,

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tatayoyo View Post
    Never played a Tal Farlow, is it common it sounds that way or is it an upgraded or a very good sounding one ? I'm impressed by the playing too, not just the guitar.
    It's a stock Tal Farlow from 1998. I cannot imagine it to be very different from other ones. It's just that they are fantastic guitars.

Thanks,

DB

User Info Menu

Cool, our organ trio's been playing that for yrs., based on Trane's Impressions of course.
    btw, did you change your shirt between the head and solo?
    That was fast!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    Cool, our organ trio's been playing that for yrs., based on Trane's Impressions of course.
    btw, did you change your shirt between the head and solo? That was fast!
    Yeah, I had to change shirts in between the head and the solo. I thought nobody would notice. Ah well ....

DB

User Info Menu

BD it is great you are playing storm.
    specializing in repair and setup, does your guitar play like it should?

User Info Menu

So happy for you. Great to see (and hear!) you playing again!