Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I have to start with some sad news: my mother-in-law died last week, and today was her funeral. We had a complex relationship, and while the funeral service is one she would have liked, I did not feel it dealt with my emotions (and why should it have?). So when I came home I recorded these beautiful atonal pieces by Reginald Smith Brindle - one of my favourite classical composers for guitar in the 20th century. They have beautiful moments interspersed with playful moments, some anger and frustration, some serenity. The performance helped me deal with the day, but it's not jazz, and appears here only because my chosen tool for expressing this pieces was an archtop (Eastman ar503ce, unplugged) rather than a classical. I hope you can get something out of it. Brindle used to play jazz guitar in and around London's West End, and even in his atonal moments familiar chords appear, such as the Eb7b9 chord which starts the last of the four short pieces, though it's played over the open E 6th string.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very cool. Smith-Brindle is a fine composer, and the arch top brings a new viewpoint that is really cool.

User Info Menu

Sorry for your loss, Rob. The pieces evoke an appropriately melancholic feel. The playing is wonderful. Best wishes for you and yours.
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

Cheers Ron. Cheers, k. Thanks for listening.

User Info Menu

My condolences, Rob.
    Video doesn't play here so I'm sorry to say I couldn't give it a listen...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Tommo. I haven't changed any of my YouTube settings, so I've no idea why you can't view it in Germany. That's a pity. I wonder if YouTube has changed something.

User Info Menu

Hi Rob.
    sorry for your loss. Lovely piece and playing to remember her by.
    Darryl

User Info Menu

Like others, I'm sorry for your loss, but grateful you chose to share these pieces with us. All were played beautifully. I think my favorite was the third selection VIII.Little Barres--with it's double stops in 4ths, I flashed on the solo from "Owner of a Lonely Heart".

I'm sorry for your loss Rob! Music can really be a great place to go in hard times and to deal with complex emotions. I'm really glad you shared this with us, the music is beautiful and as always so masterfully performed, with so much care and emotion. Thank you for that!

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys. All comments appreciated!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    Thanks, Tommo. I haven't changed any of my YouTube settings, so I've no idea why you can't view it in Germany. That's a pity. I wonder if YouTube has changed something.
    Not a yt problem just the plain fact that I'm still running XP and browsers aren't supported there any more. About time to get a new machine....(sigh)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Rob,
    Thank you so much for posting. Today is my late mother-in-law‘s birthday, with whom I, too, had a complicated relationship. She passed away last year.

I have a copy of Reginald Smith-Brindle‘s Preludes, pulled it out tonight, and played through the lot. I thought the music was too beautiful. I talked it through with my wife and it helped me a lot. Talk about the therapeutic effect of music.

I‘ve been writing about myself all the time - this is just to say that I feel for you and hope you‘ll get it worked out for you in time.
    All the best, Stephan

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Good post, Stephan. Thank you for your comments. And I'm sorry to hear about your mother-in-law as well.

The music is indeed beautiful. One day I'd like to record all ten pieces, though on a classical guitar.

Music therapy is very important, and hugely undervalued in the medical profession.

Best wishes.

User Info Menu

Sorry for your loss, Rob. Independent of complexity, the weave of our life's fabric changes as other souls arrive and depart.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    Music therapy is very important, and hugely undervalued in the medical profession.
    Music is therapy!

User Info Menu

Thankyou Rob. I'd like to say that I enjoy your use of archtop on this. Your implementation very much suits the repertoire. I'm not very familiar with modern classical guitar, but I really think you have something interesting there. A different sort of cross-over. You have a great talent for it. Makes me want to hear more. On the bigger subject of loss I have nothing meaningful to add. It's a fact of life that grows stronger as time marches on.

User Info Menu

Cheers, Michael. Cheers, ccroft. I've tried these pieces on classical guitar, but they can sound too mellow in places. Besides, the archtop guitar was created initially to play classical music - those rude jazz boys stole it!