Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

The second of 5 songs that I had the great pleasure of recording at Cadenza Studio in Barcelona. Working with simple set up, using great ribbon microphones in front of the guitar and amp. I hope y'all will enjoy this one!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That’s a great arrangement—beautiful and inspiring for an aspiring solo guitarist. It’s stunning on a big screen with a good sound system set to concert volume. I love your voicings and use of open strings. That first chord voicing (Am6add11?) hooked me and leads nicely into what follows. I should watch that a few more times with guitar in hand and see what else I can learn. Thanks!
    Last edited by KirkP; 08-15-2019 at 04:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Very nice! I’ve been checking out Emanuel’s YouTube page, he has done several solo guitar videos, all good stuff.

User Info Menu

Great inspiration from Emmanuael Sonka! Thank you!
    "You've got to be in the sun to feel the sun. It's that way with music too." - Sidney Bechet

User Info Menu

That was a beautiful solo guitar rendition of Corcovado - one of my favorite Jobim tunes!

And what a lush sound.

Thank you for posting your video for us all to enjoy!

Regards,
    Steven Herron

User Info Menu

Such a nice tone, man! Great, great sound and style!

User Info Menu

Nice playing, Emanuel! However, the tempo is too slow and challenges the Bossa concept/feel for me. And, a little too much rubato which disturbs the natural flow of the music. There are some pieces that require playing at a steady tempo. This is one of them. Nice full sound and arrangement, though. Good playing . . .Marinero

User Info Menu

Hej Emanuel!

Som vanligt så låter det mycket bra! Jag hör också soundmässiga influenser från Pat Metheny, speciellt låten ”Unity Village”. En passage i klippet som jag tycker särskilt bra om är mellan 1:14 och 1:25. Lysande arrangemang, sound och spel!

Jag önskar dig en fortsatt trevlig vistelse i Barcelona!
    Last edited by Bbmaj7#5#9; 08-20-2019 at 04:54 AM.
    Have I found it yet? I said that but I didn’t knew it. Did I knew that I had found it yet? No, it wasn’t what I was looking for. Nevermind. Ok.

-Pataphysical monologue based on Cartesian theory

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero View Post
    Nice playing, Emanuel! However, the tempo is too slow and challenges the Bossa concept/feel for me. And, a little too much rubato which disturbs the natural flow of the music. There are some pieces that require playing at a steady tempo. This is one of them. Nice full sound and arrangement, though. Good playing . . .Marinero
    The tempo sounds quite close to the famous Getz/Gilberto version, at least to me.

User Info Menu

Beautiful song, wonderful playing, envious tone.

Thank You!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    The tempo sounds quite close to the famous Getz/Gilberto version, at least to me.
    Hi, Graham,
    Perhaps Astrud's opening vocals, but not once the music reaches tempo. Someone care to put a metronome to the test? Thanks for your reply . . . .Good playing . . . Marinero.

Here's a second version that starts at tempo from the beginning.

User Info Menu

Here's another version by Charlie Byrd which I believe is a faster than normal tempo. He also uses the slower, expressive opening followed by up tempo as in my first example. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Hi, Graham,
    Perhaps Astrud's opening vocals, but not once the music reaches tempo. Someone care to put a metronome to the test? Thanks for your reply . . . .Good playing . . .
    No I meant when they are at tempo, not at the beginning.

For what it’s worth I have checked with a metronome and I make Emanuel’s version about 110, and Getz/Gilberto’s about 120. Whether that is ‘quite close’ is subjective I guess.

User Info Menu

Beautifull arrangement and performance. Also Your guitar tone - pure gold

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    No I meant when they are at tempo, not at the beginning.

For what it’s worth I have checked with a metronome and I make Emanuel’s version about 110, and Getz/Gilberto’s about 120. Whether that is ‘quite close’ is subjective I guess.
    Wow! Thanks, Graham for the legwork on tempo. I think tempo is one of the most important aspects of performance. I also play Classical and once heard a rendition/performance of Beethoven's Sonata "Pathetique" by a famous Classical guitarist whose tempo was so slow (due to their concept of 'expressiveness") that it changed the nature and the important cadence of the piece. We must remember that in most cases, the music/notes indicate the tempo. For some musicians, it is instinctive; for others, it must be both learned and practiced irrespective if you're a Jazzer or Classical Musician. Imagine Charlie Parker's Classic "Yardbird Suite" played too slowly. It just doesn't work. Thanks for your input. Good playing . . . Marinero

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
    That’s a great arrangement—beautiful and inspiring for an aspiring solo guitarist. It’s stunning on a big screen with a good sound system set to concert volume. I love your voicings and use of open strings. That first chord voicing (Am6add11?) hooked me and leads nicely into what follows. I should watch that a few more times with guitar in hand and see what else I can learn. Thanks!
    Thank you so much! I'm really glad you liked it, and especially that it has inspired, that means a lot. I've been without a steady internet connection the last week, so that's why I'm responding a bit late. Yeah that's is the voicing it's basically A-6, and then letting the melody notes (5th and 11th) ring into each other.
    Thank you again, all the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9 View Post
    Hej Emanuel!

Som vanligt så låter det mycket bra! Jag hör också soundmässiga influenser från Pat Metheny, speciellt låten ”Unity Village”. En passage i klippet som jag tycker särskilt bra om är mellan 1:14 och 1:25. Lysande arrangemang, sound och spel!

Jag önskar dig en fortsatt trevlig vistelse i Barcelona!

Tack, alltid lika fint att höra! Intressant liknelse, har självklart hört Bright Size Life, oändligt många gånger, så omedvetet har jag kanske plockat upp något, vem vet?

Tack igen, hoppas allt är bra med dig med! P.s. Själv är jag nu på Kap Verde (för att lära mig musik härifrån) och har haft dålig tillgång till internet, därav långsamt svar!

Thank you all for all the nice feedback received, I've been with a very limited access to Internet for the past week and haven't been able to read or respond! Just wanted to say that I really appreciate all you guy's comments and feedback, it's so encouraging to read!

Thanks again to all of you! All the best!

Wow! Thanks, Graham for the legwork on tempo. I think tempo is one of the most important aspects of performance. I also play Classical and once heard a rendition/performance of Beethoven's Sonata "Pathetique" by a famous Classical guitarist whose tempo was so slow (due to their concept of 'expressiveness") that it changed the nature and the important cadence of the piece. We must remember that in most cases, the music/notes indicate the tempo. For some musicians, it is instinctive; for others, it must be both learned and practiced irrespective if you're a Jazzer or Classical Musician. Imagine Charlie Parker's Classic "Yardbird Suite" played too slowly. It just doesn't work. Thanks for your input. Good playing . . . Marinero

Thanks for you comments, I really agree with you about that some music needs to be played within a certain range tempo. I'm aware that this version is played a bit slower than the original, but it has also been played countless times slower than that too. About the tempo it was a conscious choice to play it at around 110bpm (grahambop, thanks for checking that! I'm happy to see it seems close to were I was trying to play, I appreciate your feedback and comments too!), if it does come of as Rubato it wasn't my intention, actually my intention is the opposite, to play it in a slow but steady tempo from beginning to the end.

Thanks again for your feedback, I really appreciate it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelSonkaMusic View Post
    Thanks for you comments, I really agree with you about that some music needs to be played within a certain range tempo. I'm aware that this version is played a bit slower than the original, but it has also been played countless times slower than that too. About the tempo it was a conscious choice to play it at around 110bpm (grahambop, thanks for checking that! I'm happy to see it seems close to were I was trying to play, I appreciate your feedback and comments too!), if it does come of as Rubato it wasn't my intention, actually my intention is the opposite, to play it in a slow but steady tempo from beginning to the end.

Thanks again for your feedback, I really appreciate it!
    Spoken like a gentleman and a true musician. Good playing . . . Marinero

Midnight Blues