User Info Menu

Another restored video from the vintage vault. I recorded this one 15 years ago. I had no idea what HD was and the camera was probably a webcam. Later I recorded the "Charlie Parker on Guitar" video (with the solos in real time over the original tracks) so you could say this one is a "prequel". I do not think I ever shared this one. Sound and vid is not very good.

For the later "Charlie Parker on Guitar" vids click here.

Bird's playing is not guitaristic of course and that means that it is downright hard to play on guitar. Realising Bird created this stuff on the spot was a very humbling experience for me and made me first aware of the limitations of the instrument.

Since then I take all statements about guitarists sounding like a horn with a grain of salt. Nobody REALLY sounds and plays like Bird, Coltrane or Potter on a guitar. IMHO that is.

Regards,

DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice, DB. "Bloomdido" is my favorite blues head by Bird. (I started to say 'my favorite Bird blues,' but it's not what we normally mean by a "Bird blues"...)

I agree that no guitarist sounds like Bird. Which reminds me again why Wes was so great---Wes did things only guitar players can do in a way that appealed to non-guitarists (and non-musicians, for that matter.)
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Dick Onstenk!

Quote Originally Posted by joelf View Post
    Dick Onstenk!
    Joel Fass! LOL. How have you been?

User Info Menu

jimmy raneys parker 51...

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog View Post
    Joel Fass! LOL. How have you been?
    Alive---more or less---now in Philadelphia.

I'm getting some action on my songs---a good thing---and have 2 CDs of my own. Otherwise, on the hustle like all other no-names (and names, too---just on a higher level).

Hello to all my Netherlands friends----I think you know who they are (Den Hague crowd) and best to you...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog View Post
    Another restored video from the vintage vault. I recorded this one 15 years ago. I had no idea what HD was and the camera was probably a webcam. Later I recorded the "Charlie Parker on Guitar" video (with the solos in real time over the original tracks) so you could say this one is a "prequel". I do not think I ever shared this one. Sound and vid is not very good.

For the later "Charlie Parker on Guitar" vids click here.

Bird's playing is not guitaristic of course and that means that it is downright hard to play on guitar. Realising Bird created this stuff on the spot was a very humbling experience for me and made me first aware of the limitations of the instrument.

Since then I take all statements about guitarists sounding like a horn with a grain of salt. Nobody REALLY sounds and plays like Bird, Coltrane or Potter on a guitar. IMHO that is.

Regards,

DB
    I do so love to hear you play. You have the style and vibe that I wish I could find. Maybe some day. You are a huge inspiration to me!
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town