Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

A new vid of a tune by Dave Stryker.

DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

More cool sounds from you! Enjoy every video you post. Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Cool tune. (And tone.) Stryker is one of my favorite contemporary jazz guitarists. I think it's because he's so steeped in groove / blues, that organ trio vibe.

Great playing. Really enjoyed that, DB. What a way to start my day!
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Another outstanding single note improvised solo from DB!

Very creative soloing played with lots of feeling.

Thank you for posting your video!

Regards,
    Steven Herron

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron View Post
    Another outstanding single note improvised solo from DB!
    Very creative soloing played with lots of feeling. Thank you for posting your video! Regards, Steven Herron
    Thanks for listening and the kind words Steven. My pleasure.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    Cool tune. (And tone.) Stryker is one of my favorite contemporary jazz guitarists. I think it's because he's so steeped in groove / blues, that organ trio vibe. Great playing. Really enjoyed that, DB. What a way to start my day!
    Thanks Mark. Glad you dug it. Yes, Dave Stryker is indeed just that!

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeatyOcre View Post
    More cool sounds from you! Enjoy every video you post. Thanks for sharing.
    Good to know Meaty. Thanks for listening and the kind words.

DB

User Info Menu

Beautiful man !

is that an Es300 ?
    great sound , what gauge top E you using ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    Beautiful man ! is that an Es300 ? great sound , what gauge top E you using ?
    Thanks Pingu. Yes, it's an ES 300 from 1947.

The set is a 0.11 TI set, so from 0.47 to 0.11. A very light string gauge but it still sounds big enough.

DB

User Info Menu

Sure does ....

i'm up to a 14 now to get a similar thickness of tone !

nice ax !
    and you play great

User Info Menu

I am really happy to see that you are able to play. You had some of us worried.

Nice Blues you laid down there, with a nice medium tempo groove that just keeps going. You were really talking through that guitar and exploiting the entire fretboard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
    I am really happy to see that you are able to play. You had some of us worried.

Nice Blues you laid down there, with a nice medium tempo groove that just keeps going. You were really talking through that guitar and exploiting the entire fretboard.
    Thanks Alsoran. I did play with a brace on. Maybe you noticed. It's on my fretboard hand.

The wrist tendonitis is still not gone but I am postponing the inevitable ... probably an operation.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog View Post
    Thanks Alsoran. I did play with a brace on. Maybe you noticed. It's on my fretboard hand.

The wrist tendonitis is still not gone but I am postponing the inevitable ... probably an operation.

DB
    Of course you know to due your due diligence in acquiring a good surgeon. I can tell you from experience, they do not all possess the same degree of skill. But, we know you will take the smartest course in resolving this issue. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

User Info Menu

DB's a DIRTY guitar player!

Maybe we gotta re-tag that picket fence?
    Last edited by Irez87; 06-24-2019 at 03:50 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87 View Post
    DB's a FUNKY guitar player!

Maybe we gotta re-tag that picket fence?
    I wasn't going to say anything, but when I see a guy playing the Blues like that (even traditional Blues), it seems as though they are saying something with the guitar that at times, might not be socially acceptable, if you know what I mean. They seem to have that little smile from time to time and you kind of wonder, just what was he thinking when he played that line? Then they push ahead to the next and you have to move along with them and no one is the wiser to the possible naughtiness.

Just my crazy, personal observation.

User Info Menu

DB's a DIRTY guitar player! Maybe we gotta re-tag that picket fence?
    I grew up on blues, rock and pop and only started my jazz career when I was 37 years old. Before that I was in al kinds of rock and pop outfits. In the early 80s I was even playing punk and new wave. I quit pop music in the mid 80s after a failed record deal with a major label and started working and studying again. That was a good decision that probably saved me a lot of frustration. Ended up as a college professor and picked up the jazz guitar.

But the blues is where I come from.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog View Post
    I grew up on blues, rock and pop and only started my jazz career when I was 37 years old. Before that I was in al kinds of rock and pop outfits. In the early 80s I was even playing punk and new wave. I quit pop music in the mid 80s after a failed record deal with a major label and started working and studying again. That was a good decision that probably saved me a lot of frustration. Ended up as a college professor and picked up the jazz guitar.

But the blues is where I come from.

DB

I was kinda hoping you got my Howard Roberts reference.

No offense to everyone else, but us educators operate on another level of cool

I'm a grade school special education teacher, what do you teach? Philosophy (just from our recent previous conversation)?

User Info Menu

I was kinda hoping you got my Howard Roberts reference. No offense to everyone else, but us educators operate on another level of cool I'm a grade school special education teacher, what do you teach? Philosophy (just from our recent previous conversation)?
    I did. But I felt the need to explain my blues background to Alsoran but probably replied to the wrong post ...

I have recently retired but I worked as a lecturer in Marketing Communications at a university. So quite mundane a subject actually!

DB

User Info Menu

And Irez is a nut
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Cashew or Macadamia?

User Info Menu

cedar!

cheers

User Info Menu

Oh brother. I'm a desert tree, not a cedar

User Info Menu

this cedar looks pretty deserted to me!! hah

but you be whatever you want!! haha

(sorry to crash dbs thread!)