When i originally posted this clip over 10 years ago, the forum exploded in accusations that this isn't jazz, that I'm not playing over the changes, etc...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This forum? Never.

Playing is burning, man, although the backing track seems to compete with the lead through crappy phone speakers...I'll give this a listen through better speakers later.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

It meets the definition of jazz I would say for sure. I know one thing for sure I could not play throught it and make it seem that easy. I cannot say it is my favorite Jack Z clip but it sure is playing. I guess the tune is sort of a work out like running 400 meter repeats on the track, gets your butt in shape in a hurry. I would like to hear it on an L5 the archtop crazy person I happen to be. I like the descending line around 58-62 seconds but it is all beyond my grasps, as Clint Eastwood would say...……..A Man has to know his limitations...……….good stuff!
    specializing in repair and setup, does your guitar play like it should?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    When i originally posted this clip over 10 years ago, the forum exploded in accusations that this isn't jazz, that I'm not playing over the changes, etc...

This wasn’t jazz for ten years ago?! If this wasn’t jazz, where are we now then? Your playing is great and it feels strange that you were accused for not playing over the changes. If you’re not playing over the changes, what are you doing then in this video?

Off topic: Right now I’m listening to Jaco Pastorius and his duo version of ”Donna Lee”. It sounds like he also nailing the changes fairly well.
    Have I found it yet? I said that but I didn’t knew it. Did I knew that I had found it yet? No, it wasn’t what I was looking for. Nevermind. Ok.

-Pataphysical monologue based on Cartesian theory

User Info Menu

Jack,
    I think the forum have to work about jazz ear training...:-)
    Jazzingly Yours
    Kris

User Info Menu

It sounds like you're playing over the changes to me.

And by the way, playing some pretty cool lines over those changes!

Regards,
    Steven Herron

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post

With chops like yours, why would you care what other's opinions are? Donna Lee is jazz...a very high level of jazz. Your version would make Jaco proud.

User Info Menu

Memories....

User Info Menu

jzuck, that reminds me--I gotta revisit your Sheets of Sound book. Your "sweeps" are so fluid that they don't sound like sweeps, they sound like a natural part of the melodic line...

Dang...

But I hear you, it's good to get positive feedback from forumites who all understand the addiction that is jazz guitar.

We are Jazz Guitaroholics Anonymous? Meh, maybe not that... You get the point, I'm sure.
    Last edited by Irez87; 06-20-2019 at 12:33 AM.