Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

Emigrantvisa or Vi sålde våra hemman, as it also called, is a Swedish folk/traditional song from the mid 19th century. Speaking about the big emigration of Swedes over the atlantic, fleeing poverty and famine and seeking for a better life, even if the world mostly has become a better place since then, for many, sadly this song still seem so relevant today. Recently I recorded a solo guitar arrangement of the song, I hope you'll like it!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is a beautiful arrangement. As I mentioned in my YouTube comment, the two part counterpoint section is especially ear catching. Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Beautiful Playing My Friend, I could hear the song breath in your arrangement--really pretty.

By the way, is this the same song? IT sounds very similar, but different name:

To Sweden With Love,
    is an amazing album.

Jim Hall and Art Farmer were the perfect pair in my opinion. I love Jim Hall's playing on this album, and Art Farmer is my favorite trumpet player by far.
    Last edited by Irez87; 04-29-2019 at 12:37 PM.

User Info Menu

I've never heard that song before but it sure is a pretty melody.

A lot of times those traditional folk songs are some of the most beautiful melodies you'll ever hear.

And your solo guitar arrangement of that song was just lovely - bravo!

Regards,
    Steven Herron

User Info Menu

Beautifull arrangement and playing. I love the guitar tone as well. Therefore technical question - the guitar is recorded from pickup, microphone or both mixed?

Wys?ane z mojego ANE-LX1 przy u?yciu Tapatalka

Quote Originally Posted by GO'C View Post
    This is a beautiful arrangement. As I mentioned in my YouTube comment, the two part counterpoint section is especially ear catching. Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just saw your comment on YouTube too Thank you man, I'm really glad to hear that, I really enjoy playing it too, it's something that I also want to investigate more, for example Ted Greene has some amazing stuff, kind of improvising in the style of Bach, I would love to be able to do that one day! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87 View Post
    Beautiful Playing My Friend, I could hear the song breath in your arrangement--really pretty.

By the way, is this the same song? IT sounds very similar, but different name:

To Sweden With Love,
    is an amazing album.

Jim Hall and Art Farmer were the perfect pair in my opinion. I love Jim Hall's playing on this album, and Art Farmer is my favorite trumpet player by far.

Wooow, that's amazing! I didn't know this version, woow listened to the record too, it's really good! I'm Swedish myself and that's how I know it.

It is definitely the same song; it actually is sometimes referred to as "Emigrantvisa" but the actual original title is "Vi Sålde Våra Hemman" or "De Sålde Sina Hemman", and it means either "We Sold Our Home" or "They Sold Their Homes".

Thank you so much for showing me this version, that's probably becoming a new favourite!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron View Post
    I've never heard that song before but it sure is a pretty melody.

A lot of times those traditional folk songs are some of the most beautiful melodies you'll ever hear.

And your solo guitar arrangement of that song was just lovely - bravo!

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Brazilian & Celtic Guitar Tabs - Solos, Tab Books, Instruction DVDs + Video Lessons
    Thank you so much Steven! I really agree, many of the traditional tunes are so beautiful and especially, I really recommend you to check out "Jazz På Svenska" it's an album by Jan Johansson, which consist of only traditional tunes from Sweden, it's a gem!

Thanks again Steven, all the best!

Quote Originally Posted by slusar View Post
    Beautifull arrangement and playing. I love the guitar tone as well. Therefore technical question - the guitar is recorded from pickup, microphone or both mixed?

Wys?ane z mojego ANE-LX1 przy u?yciu Tapatalka

Hey,

First of all thank you so much, I'm glad you enjoyed that! In this case the recording setup is very basic, it's my guitar, into a Princeton Reverb 68 reissue with a bit of reverb, recorded only with a Audix i5 (similar to an sm-57) places straight in front of the amp, dead center, and 1 cm from the front. Then going into a Zoom H5 (not using the mics of the zoom in this one, I always change the setup every time, trying new things). Then a bit of EQ and a bit of roomy reverb in the DAW. That's it.

Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Very nice !
    Last edited by emilP; 05-04-2019 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emilP View Post
    Very nice !
    Thank you so much emilP! I'm glad you enjoyed it

User Info Menu

Beautiful. It sounds like a vocal quartet and hymn-like. I love arranging pretty folk melodies, but my arrangements never end up so clean.

My wife is half Swedish and her grandparents were part of that migration. She suspects they had a particularly hard time, because they would never talk about their life in the old country. Her grandmother sang Swedish folk songs though. My wife wishes she could remember them. A few years ago we visited Stockholm in September (just after cruise ship crowds were gone) and loved it. We’ve been listening to some Swedish folk groups since then, Väsen in particular. They visit Seattle every couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
    Beautiful. It sounds like a vocal quartet and hymn-like. I love arranging pretty folk melodies, but my arrangements never end up so clean.

My wife is half Swedish and her grandparents were part of that migration. She suspects they had a particularly hard time, because they would never talk about their life in the old country. Her grandmother sang Swedish folk songs though. My wife wishes she could remember them. A few years ago we visited Stockholm in September (just after cruise ship crowds were gone) and loved it. We’ve been listening to some Swedish folk groups since then, Väsen in particular. They visit Seattle every couple of years.
    Nice, yeah Väsen is a really really good band, I've seen them in Sweden once, really great performance!!

Yeah, I can imagine it was very hard for the majority of people that left. There's a museum in my home town of Växjö dedicated to the "america emigrations" and reading the letters that the migrants wrote back to their families all paint a bright picture, filled with success stories, while the reality looked completely different. People didn't want their loved once to know about the hardships so they lied about how great it was in america, leading to even more people leaving!

Thanks for your nice feedback of the arrangement, I really appreciate it!

All the best! Say "hej!" to your wife from me!
    //Emanuel

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelSonkaMusic View Post

Emigrantvisa or Vi sålde våra hemman, as it also called, is a Swedish folk/traditional song from the mid 19th century. Speaking about the big emigration of Swedes over the atlantic, fleeing poverty and famine and seeking for a better life, even if the world mostly has become a better place since then, for many, sadly this song still seem so relevant today. Recently I recorded a solo guitar arrangement of the song, I hope you'll like it!
    Hi/Hej!

Excellent guitar arrangement! There’s another clip on Youtube from 1968 with Rune Gustafsson where he plays this traditional folk tune or ”folkvisa”, as we call it here in Sweden.
    Last edited by Bbmaj7#5#9; 06-17-2019 at 03:21 PM.
    Have I found it yet? I said that but I didn’t knew it. Did I knew that I had found it yet? No, it wasn’t what I was looking for. Nevermind. Ok.

-Pataphysical monologue based on Cartesian theory

User Info Menu

It's nicely played but I'm not sure you can successfully 'jazzify' a traditional folk song of that kind. Personal view, of course :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    It's nicely played but I'm not sure you can successfully 'jazzify' a traditional folk song of that kind. Personal view, of course :-)
    I know how you mean, because folk music always adds tonal colour to the whole sound picture. But actually it works perfectly both practical and in theory.

Many Swedish ”folkvisor”/folk songs contains very much tonal vocabulary that’s identical to jazz music. That’s why so many jazz musicians from this nation are mixing jazz with their native folk music. A majority of the songs are built up by major and minor triads that’s easy to improvise over. The most used scales in Swedish folk music are usually ionian and aeolian but also dorian, melodic minor, harmonic minor etc. Blues scale and quarter tones, locally called ”grey-blue” notes, are also widely used.

Another famous ”folkvisa”/folk song in Sweden is ”Visa Från Utanmyra”, a song I play very often. The song is usually played in A minor and often the (jazz) performers are improvising over the chord progressions. A aeolian and A melodic minor are useable scales in this context. Pianist Jan Johansson made a duo record with bassist Georg Riedel in 1964 where they made a jazz version of ”Visa Från Utanmyra”.

Haha, this became a very Swedish thread I think!
    Last edited by Bbmaj7#5#9; 06-17-2019 at 05:27 PM.
    Have I found it yet? I said that but I didn’t knew it. Did I knew that I had found it yet? No, it wasn’t what I was looking for. Nevermind. Ok.

User Info Menu

I thought Jim Hall and Art Farmer did a good job of jazzifying that folk tune.

What about this:

I heard this gut wretching version of Nick Drake's "Time Has Told Me"--with a vocalist who was respectful to the song--the other day. Now I can't find it on the Youtube!

User Info Menu

I'm not sure I'm convinced yet! The Train and River vid has just enough blues sounds, or implied blues sounds, to pass... probably.

Don't think I'm not up in Swedish sounds, btw, I am. I played with Ben Paley who did all that and I knew a girl who played Swedish tunes on the bagpipes... but none of it was jazz, exactly :-)

Svenska Latar | Ben Paley

User Info Menu

oh ragman

User Info Menu

Congratulations Emanuel! New fan here

Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9 View Post
    Hi/Hej!

Excellent guitar arrangement! There’s another clip on Youtube from 1968 with Rune Gustafsson where he plays this traditional folk tune or ”folkvisa”, as we call it here in Sweden.

Yeaaah, that one's great too, I love it!

Är du också från Sverige? Som smålänning så känns emigrant-temat relevant, trots att det är massor av generationer sedan så finns det liksom ändå kvar i den "småländska själen", kanske låter flummigt men, själv växte jag upp och hörde de där historierna om och om igen!

Tack för din feedback!

Hälsningar från ett svettigt Barcelona

Wooow, lots of stuff going on in this thread, been busy and not checking the forum much! Thanks for all the comments guys, always nice to have feedback, both the criticisms and the positive stuff!

Thanks a lot and all the best to all of you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelSonkaMusic View Post
    Yeaaah, that one's great too, I love it!

Är du också från Sverige? Som smålänning så känns emigrant-temat relevant, trots att det är massor av generationer sedan så finns det liksom ändå kvar i den "småländska själen", kanske låter flummigt men, själv växte jag upp och hörde de där historierna om och om igen!

Tack för din feedback!

Hälsningar från ett svettigt Barcelona
    Hej Emanuel!

Ja, jag är också svensk. Jag håller med om det ”själsliga” som du nämner. Folkmusik är en fantastisk uttrycksform på det sättet. Som du säger så har dessa historier om visorna berättats i generationer och det gör såklart att vi som spelar får en relation till musiken. Själv spelar jag och komponerar gärna jazz som sammanfogar eller har typiska drag av folkmusik (svensk/nordisk och internationell). Älskar bland annat att spela ”Visa Från Utanmyra”, ett annat tema som återger det karaktäristiska vemodet som nordisk folkmusik är känt för. Jan Johansson, Rune Gustafsson, Lars Gullin etc. är alla exempel på genier som gör lysande blandningar av jazz och folkmusik.

Ha det så bra i Barcelona!
    Last edited by Bbmaj7#5#9; 06-22-2019 at 01:57 PM.