View Poll Results: who played it best

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • beamont

    4 21.05%
  • hep

    6 31.58%
  • tomato

    5 26.32%
  • christian

    4 21.05%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 54
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Beaumont:


    Hep:


    tomato:


    christian:

    who came out on top?

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    I'm still kind of wound up from the free jazz thread,
    so I clicked all four entries to play at the same time.

    No more coffee tonight...

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Next round, 320

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    (I thought the other versions were too tasteful and melodic.)

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    I'm still kind of wound up from the free jazz thread,
    so I clicked all four entries to play at the same time.

    No more coffee tonight...
    More is more. I like it.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Did I hear somebody talkin bout cuttin???


    I grabbed a couple fun bits from my shedtime a couple weeks ago to post, trying to get it uploaded now. I liked all the takes, nice playing gentlemen.







    PS, pic is of my old man, RIP... solo starts :51

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    From the voting it's clear the cute kid factor is in full swing. Then again, I can't do ANYTHING with kids all over me, Mr. B. has s seriously badass-dad thing going here. Playing with kids, grinning, playing Cherokee at unauthorized tempos ON AN ACOUSTIC! Is that seriously... a 000 flat-top????

    Next I suggest: Ornithology on BANJOS

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Next round, 320
    Next round 420 for me.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    I thought we agree everyone is playing to the backing track? Head and 2 choruses?
    cutting cherokee-images-jpg

  11. #10
    maybe we can enforce rules more strictly for the...


    2019 JGF BRACKETED TOURNEMENT!!!!!

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Consider my vote in for everyone who's not me My clip without the kid is pretty lame! All flash, no content, about all I can manage this fast...

    I'd say tomato, christian, and hep failed at cutting though--way too tasteful, coherent, and musical. Great job fellas!

    Oh, and Lawson, it's one of them "django guitars."

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Nah i was talkin about tomato, thats high quality jammin no doubt, but id never guess its a Cherokee.

    I have an idea, kinda complicated, but that would be real fun. Just the solos, on one track, all of participants. It would require sharing the track, and basic recording app. But it took me 3 min to download and start recording with this one, so its doable.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Nah i was talkin about tomato, thats high quality jammin no doubt, but id never guess its a Cherokee.

    I have an idea, kinda complicated, but that would be real fun. Just the solos, on one track, all of participants. It would require sharing the track, and basic recording app. But it took me 3 min to download and start recording with this one, so its doable.
    Don’t worry too much about my submission. I had read one post referencing 280 and doing solo / unaccompanied with metronome and was inspired to try my hand at it. If I participate again I’ll make sure to adhere to the rules. I don’t have too much stake in this so I’m not offended if it’s not counted among the others! I’m just happy to have actually tried!
    Last edited by MarketTomato; 11-26-2018 at 10:29 AM.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Nice work from everyone ! Remember this guy who posted his Cherokee on the forum a few years back?


  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MarketTomato
    Don’t worry too much about my submission. I had read one post referencing 280 and doing solo / unaccompanied with metronome and was inspired to try my hand at it. If I participate again I’ll make sure to adhere to the rules. I don’t have too much stake in this so I’m not offended if it’s not counted among the others! I’m just happy to have actually tried!
    I don't man. It's not your fault of course, Don King should've seen to it, but he already admitted it, so no problemo on my part.

    Obviously I'm gonna lose here anyway, which I should've guessed.. But it's all goof and tomfoolery, I did it for a laugh first of all too.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Nice work from everyone ! Remember this guy who posted his Cherokee on the forum a few years back?

    Whatever happens here, this guy should be a winner!

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I don't man. It's not your fault of course, Don King should've seen to it, but he already admitted it, so no problemo on my part.

    Obviously I'm gonna lose here anyway, which I should've guessed.. But it's all goof and tomfoolery, I did it for a laugh first of all too.
    For what it's worth, I found your take to be very musical and happening (the others as well). It might not be a terribly healthy attitude, but I think as players we sometimes assume the worst of our own playing because we know it more intimately and see all of our flaws more immediately (speaking from my own experience).

    All in good fun of course, and it's productive for everyone if we get to listen/be inspired/actually put ourselves out there in the wild.

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MarketTomato
    For what it's worth, I found your take to be very musical and happening (the others as well). It might not be a terribly healthy attitude, but I think as players we sometimes assume the worst of our own playing because we know it more intimately and see all of our flaws more immediately (speaking from my own experience).

    All in good fun of course, and it's productive for everyone if we get to listen/be inspired/actually put ourselves out there in the wild.
    Thanks! Oh no, I'm not insecure about my playing, I stand by it. I mean id tweak a few things here and there, naturally, but at its core that's exactly how i want to sound.

    It's just I'm not particularly popular player around these parts. I get hints that my tone and style is not exactly jazz, or maybe not jazz at all, and most def not bebop. Im very fine with that. If being a pro player in NYC counts for something, i dont need to prove anything here.

    In fact, I'll take it as a badge of honor if i end up with 1 like! Id prefer that actually haha

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Thanks! Oh no, I'm not insecure about my playing, I stand by it. I mean id tweak a few things here and there, naturally, but at its core that's exactly how i want to sound.

    It's just I'm not particularly popular player around these parts. I get hints that my tone and style is not exactly jazz, or maybe not jazz at all, and most def not bebop. Im very fine with that. If being a pro player in NYC counts for something, i dont need to prove anything here.

    In fact, I'll take it as a badge of honor if i end up with 1 like! Id prefer that actually haha
    I liked your solo a lot. and I love traditional jazz, bebop, all that, and thought you were hanging right in there. I heard whispers of everybody from Charlie Christian through Herb Ellis and Kessel, some Joe Pass and Wes, clearly natural strands of musical DNA that you have just made your own. Your solo didn't sound like you were having to work especially hard, either.

    Great job indeed. I'd love to be able to improvise like any of you guys!

    And lets here it for PLAYING instead of TALKING about playing. People love to bloviate, but you guys play.

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    I like the idea of this being a forum where we set ourselves slightly stupid goals that we wouldn’t normally (cos we are too busy trying to play actual music I think it’s fair to say)

    I think it’s good. I wouldn’t normally try and cut something at 305.

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Thanks! Oh no, I'm not insecure about my playing, I stand by it. I mean id tweak a few things here and there, naturally, but at its core that's exactly how i want to sound.

    It's just I'm not particularly popular player around these parts. I get hints that my tone and style is not exactly jazz, or maybe not jazz at all, and most def not bebop. Im very fine with that. If being a pro player in NYC counts for something, i dont need to prove anything here.

    In fact, I'll take it as a badge of honor if i end up with 1 like! Id prefer that actually haha
    Hey, all the more power to you! Sure sounded like jazz to me. Pro in NYC? That's a dream, let alone being a pro player at all.

  23. #22
    I am now TRIPLING the pot!

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    In fact, I'll take it as a badge of honor if i end up with 1 like! Id prefer that actually haha
    sorry, I couldn’t resist...

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Thanks! Oh no, I'm not insecure about my playing, I stand by it. I mean id tweak a few things here and there, naturally, but at its core that's exactly how i want to sound.

    It's just I'm not particularly popular player around these parts. I get hints that my tone and style is not exactly jazz, or maybe not jazz at all, and most def not bebop. Im very fine with that. If being a pro player in NYC counts for something, i dont need to prove anything here.

    In fact, I'll take it as a badge of honor if i end up with 1 like! Id prefer that actually haha
    Haha don't be so coy - you love being a little bit of contrarian, having a different style, not being a bopper etc, trolling the modern geeks a bit. It's not manufactured, but you enjoy it!

    As I'm sure you'd agree, if everyone liked your playing, it would be bland and forgettable. You might work every night but no-one would recognise your playing on a record...

    I admire a bit of character in a player...

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I liked your solo a lot. and I love traditional jazz, bebop, all that, and thought you were hanging right in there. I heard whispers of everybody from Charlie Christian through Herb Ellis and Kessel, some Joe Pass and Wes, clearly natural strands of musical DNA that you have just made your own. Your solo didn't sound like you were having to work especially hard, either.

    Great job indeed. I'd love to be able to improvise like any of you guys!

    And lets here it for PLAYING instead of TALKING about playing. People love to bloviate, but you guys play.
    Thanks Lawson, appreciate the comment, glad you dig it!

  27. #26

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    sorry, I couldn’t resist...
    You ruined it haha!

  28. #27

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Haha don't be so coy - you love being a little bit of contrarian, having a different style, not being a bopper etc, trolling the modern geeks a bit. It's not manufactured, but you enjoy it!

    As I'm sure you'd agree, if everyone liked your playing, it would be bland and forgettable. You might work every night but no-one would recognise your playing on a record...

    I admire a bit of character in a player...
    Ok you got me. I do enjoy those things, I confess. Pissing against the wind is something i cant help myself with, comes with the price too haha.

  29. #28

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Ok you got me. I do enjoy those things, I confess. Pissing against the wind is something i cant help myself with, comes with the price too haha.
    I totally get the contrarian mode (which is not based on the diatonic scale at all).

    I once said at a faculty meeting "I like being around people that I'm different from" to which a colleague said "That's not hard to do!"

  30. #29

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I totally get the contrarian mode (which is not based on the diatonic scale at all).

    I once said at a faculty meeting "I like being around people that I'm different from" to which a colleague said "That's not hard to do!"
    Yes, the contrarian mode is based on altered (reality) scale, where flats are sharps and sharps are flats!

    Last edited by Hep To The Jive; 11-27-2018 at 01:05 AM.

  31. #30

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Nice work from everyone ! Remember this guy who posted his Cherokee on the forum a few years back?

    Sounds like he's been shedding with Jackie King's version, and I mean that as a high compliment.

    Likewise if he was able to transcribe Metheny licks from behind the sax lines in
    .

    Oh, and my vote has to go to Jeff for maintaining focus at all... you wanna cut heads, just bring that little dude to the gig
    Last edited by starjasmine; 11-27-2018 at 12:09 PM.

  32. #31

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    You ruined it haha!
    Actually I liked yours a lot as a musical performance. Best recording quality so all the notes were clearer. Also I liked the use of lots of chords. It sounded like high-speed rockabilly swing, very enjoyable.

  33. #32

    User Info Menu

    Wow ... head to head race

    Hep, that's is a killer track .. but without visuals it's starts with a handicap

  34. #33

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Yes, the contrarian mode is based on altered (reality) scale, where flats are sharps and sharps are flats!

    Major swing

  35. #34

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Wow ... head to head race

    Hep, that's is a killer track .. but without visuals it's starts with a handicap
    Yea, agree. I thought about, I prefer videos myself, but it was hard to do that day. Still, i regret, it would be more fun.

  36. #35

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Major swing
    Rhythm A Ning?

  37. #36

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Rhythm A Ning?
    Hahaha, nice

  38. #37
    this was fun to put together. the point is it brought a bunch of our top players to post in a very short amount of time. what do you guys think of doing a round robin tournement!?

    i’ll set up the matches and voting threads and provide the tunes and backing track.

    only prerequisit is postings a vid about 1 x per week and not having too fragile of an ego (i’m disqualified)

  39. #38

    User Info Menu

    What is round robin tournament?

  40. #39
    it’s like everyone faces a one-on-one with every other player and gets a score, then a final

  41. #40

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    it’s like everyone faces a one-on-one with every other player and gets a score, then a final
    I'm not sure I'm up for that

  42. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I'm not sure I'm up for that
    k I’ll mark christian down as “scared.” anyone else?

  43. #42

    User Info Menu

    "Scared"

  44. #43

    User Info Menu

    I'm in, but only if the loser has to post a follow up in which they self harm.

  45. #44
    k loser has to listen to Bruce Willis’ country record

  46. #45

    User Info Menu

    Loser eats the guitar!

  47. #46
    ok cool so beau and hep are in

  48. #47

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I'm not sure I'm up for that
    It does seem a bit overboard .. but one of these once in a while would be cool. It's was a pleasure to watch all of your takes on cherokee

  49. #48

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    ok cool so beau and hep are in
    As of now my status is ''scared''. I have commitment issues. This one was cool because it was on a spur of the moment thing. Committing in a long run could be not much fun. We'll see

  50. #49
    why does everyone hate me

  51. #50

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    this was fun to put together. the point is it brought a bunch of our top players to post in a very short amount of time. what do you guys think of doing a round robin tournament!?

    i’ll set up the matches and voting threads and provide the tunes and backing track.

    only prerequisit is postings a vid about 1 x per week and not having too fragile of an ego (i’m disqualified)
    I probably couldn't commit to a video a week, and am not sold on the idea of competition. But I'd be willing to record a tune here and there and let people have their say about it.

    John