Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 27 of 27

User Info Menu

Hey guys,

I started a Jazz Transcription series on youtube where I want to upload one transcription every week.
    So far Ive done a Nir Felder one last week and today one from Kurt Rosenwinkel.
    If theres demand I might right some of them down as well and can share them if anyone is interested.
    Other then that check it out:

Week 1: Bandits II - Nir Felder

Week 2: Conception - Rosenwinkel

Week 3: Presley - Julian Lage

Week 4: Cupcake-Peter Bernstein

Week 5 : St.Thomas - Sonny Rollins

Week 6: Milestones - Canonball Adderley

Week 7: Stella by Starlight - John Coltrane

2020 back at it Just Friends - Pat Martino

Im happy about any kind of feedback or critic regarding the video and/or of course the playing.

Have a good one
    Matt

Last edited by matty91; 05-04-2020 at 02:53 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great playing. Its all so easy and natural floating...

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot for the kind words! Im glad you liked it
    I can assure you its not easy and floating in my head while im playing

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

I got a new Video for this week.
    This time its a blues by Peter Bernstein. Initially I thought that it sounded great but also quite "easy".
    Not very technically etc.... I had no Idea. This one is probably one of the hardest I did so far.
    The feel is incredible. And the nuances in his phrasing make him still stand out in the crowd of modern guitarists.
    Simply a great musician.
    Check it out :

Week 4: Cupcake-Peter Bernstein

User Info Menu

Hey ,

Another week, another Video.
    This time for a change I went back to an old landmark recording.
    I did the first part of Sonny Rollins solo on St.Thomas from Saxophone colossus.
    Its so amazing to me how he develops his Ideas in this solo.
    I hope you enjoy

Week 5: Sonny Rollins - St.Thomas

Cheers
    Matt

User Info Menu

Hey guys,

And yet another one.
    Keeping hold of the sax solos for now.
    This is a famous one as well. Canonball Adderley on Milestones. What a solo...

Hope you guys enjoy

Week 6: Milestones - Canonball Adderley

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,

This weeks transcription is a Coltrane one. Its not the usual crazy fast "out there" Coltrane stuff.
    Partly because I cant really pull that of in one week and partly because there is some beautiful lyrical playing from him in this one.
    Hope you enjoy it

Week 7: Stella by Starlight - John Coltrane

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

This is week 8! The whole project is still a lot of fun and even some people subscribed to my channel which I thought would never happen with just posting Jazz Transcriptions! (really ... who watches those =?? ;D)
    Thanks a lot for watching the videos and leave a comment if you have
    any thoughts about them.

This week I did this lovely Miles Solo from "Someday My Prince Will Come".
    Its one of my favourite standards and the Coltrane solo later on probably my favourite solo.
    But the Miles one is also beautiful in the way he "re-phrases" the melody so gently !
    Enjoy!

Week 8: Miles Davis - Someday My Prince Will Come

User Info Menu

These are all so good. I subscribed to your YouTube channel and liked your Facebook page. Are you writing up and making the transcriptions available for PDF download or just recording video versions? I am still a rank beginner and it helps me to read along with what I am hearing.

User Info Menu

On a little brake with the Transcriptions cause I got more busy playing with the quartet
    But here a little snippet in the meantime

Heres a little clip from my last quartet gig. Visual is not great but its sounds alright ! We tried this lovely little Bill Evans Intro there.
    Enjoy

#jazz #standards #guitar # autumnleaves

User Info Menu

Its the summer again !

Which means every teaching musician has suddenly a lot more time and a lot less money....
    And starts again his youtube series!

I did this transcription of Dexter Gordons Solo on Herbies Driftin. What a tune and what a Solo.
    Its his trademark feel and great vocabulary that stand out on this one.
    Even better is Freddy Hubbards Solo afterwards which I hopefully get done in the next couple of weeks!

Anyway, enjoy and let me know what yous think !

regards matt

User Info Menu

Hey guys,

Its been a while but at least for this week im back at it !
    I was listening a lot to the record Boss Guitar from Wes Montgomery. At the same time I was working a lot on "The Days of Wine and roses" which for me is still a bit tricky at times. (first 4 bars...)
    So what better to do then to check what one of the best did on this.

I learned a lot from this solo. The way he plays and changes around the harmony especially in those first 4 bars is inspiring.
    Also of course, feel, touch, tone... Its Wes...

Hope you enjoy my attempt !

User Info Menu

Great work.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Thank you Kris !

User Info Menu

Got another one of these done.
    I know this record (Intercontinental - Joe Pass ) for a while now but never really worked on it. Its still one of THE jazz guitar records though.
    And the way Joe Arranges melodies with chords is so so so so so so so so good...
    Anyway... it was a good reason to get the lovely Tele out again and pretend to be Ed Bickert...
    Hope yous enjoy

User Info Menu

Do you have Transcriptions for these tunes ?

User Info Menu

I assume you mean do I have them written ?
    No, not for the most part. Sometimes I write out parts to remember or work on but I dont usually have them written out.
    Sorry

User Info Menu

Hey there ,
    After a wee brake of transcriptions here is a new one. Connecting the triplet, pentatonic point from last weeks video to the great Grant Green! Who does a marvellous job using those tools.
    This solo was way tougher to learn then it might look!

If your into Grant Green or into the blues have a look a the video!
    I deeply appreciate everyone taking the time to have a wee look!
    Also let me know what you think !

User Info Menu

Hi Matt, not too many replies in this thread and I think it deserves more, so let me add my appreciation and admiration to the growing list .

You said you'd welcome comments, so mine is more a question: How does it sound to you when you play these solos against, say, a backing track, that is, without the original soloist? I ask this because in my own experience, when I recorded myself without the original, it didn't sound quite so convincing ... Partly because the guitar lacks the sustain and envelope of the horn, and also because the phrasing is revealed to be not as authoritative as the phrasing of my own lines. I can't sound like I own them, y'know? I worked on them a lot too, to get them as well as a seriously good player might (technically I mean, which is no big deal...). I was hoping that I would either "lift" some of the lines as vocab, or that by osmosis all that work would rub off and inform my playing a little. If it did, I didn't really notice...

So was wondering what your own reasons for doing this are? Do you try to phrase like some of these lines in your own solos? Does it come off as a strong statement when you do? Or like me, do you find your own natural way of playing/expressing to be more satisfying and/or compelling ?

Perhaps it's just for curiosity or instruction? Do you take apart the lines and analyse them? I at least find that part to be useful, and like yourself, I don't write them down, so it would be difficult to share any insights without a written transcription to refer to.

My suggestion therefore would be to write them down, and then discuss each solo in detail, trying to get into the thinking process behind the note choices. Might be cool also to ask others for alternative ways to finger or phrase sections of the solos. I think you'd really be onto something then, that a few of us might like to follow and share? You seem to have a good head for this, it takes patience and a good memory! You certainly seem to have the enthusiasm as well.

Just some thoughts....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matty91
    Hey ,

Another week, another Video.
    This time for a change I went back to an old landmark recording.
    I did the first part of Sonny Rollins solo on St.Thomas from Saxophone colossus.
    Its so amazing to me how he develops his Ideas in this solo.
    I hope you enjoy

Week 5: Sonny Rollins - St.Thomas

Cheers
    Matt
    I've worked on this solo off and on over the last year, and never got it together as good as this. Nice work!
    I have stolen some smaller pieces from this solo even though I can't do the whole thing this cleanly. The lick from :45 - :51 is a great one, but have a hard time using it elsewhere.

User Info Menu

Hey Matty, great job but you missed a chance to make some money ! There was this fool on another thread offering $1000 to anyone who can post a transcription they done by ear. No joking!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Hi Matt, not too many replies in this thread and I think it deserves more, so let me add my appreciation and admiration to the growing list .

You said you'd welcome comments, so mine is more a question: How does it sound to you when you play these solos against, say, a backing track, that is, without the original soloist? I ask this because in my own experience, when I recorded myself without the original, it didn't sound quite so convincing ... Partly because the guitar lacks the sustain and envelope of the horn, and also because the phrasing is revealed to be not as authoritative as the phrasing of my own lines. I can't sound like I own them, y'know? I worked on them a lot too, to get them as well as a seriously good player might (technically I mean, which is no big deal...). I was hoping that I would either "lift" some of the lines as vocab, or that by osmosis all that work would rub off and inform my playing a little. If it did, I didn't really notice...

So was wondering what your own reasons for doing this are? Do you try to phrase like some of these lines in your own solos? Does it come off as a strong statement when you do? Or like me, do you find your own natural way of playing/expressing to be more satisfying and/or compelling ?

Perhaps it's just for curiosity or instruction? Do you take apart the lines and analyse them? I at least find that part to be useful, and like yourself, I don't write them down, so it would be difficult to share any insights without a written transcription to refer to.

My suggestion therefore would be to write them down, and then discuss each solo in detail, trying to get into the thinking process behind the note choices. Might be cool also to ask others for alternative ways to finger or phrase sections of the solos. I think you'd really be onto something then, that a few of us might like to follow and share? You seem to have a good head for this, it takes patience and a good memory! You certainly seem to have the enthusiasm as well.

Just some thoughts....

Hi Man,

Thanks so much first of all for taking the time wo write this and listening to the transcriptions !!
    It´s a hell of a question so ill try to answer it the best I can!

The first one really depends on how deeply I studied the solo. Some transcriptions I did in college (joe pass - all the things e.g.) I studied very deeply. Meaning I could play them fairly convincing even just with a metronome and the phrasing was pretty much there.

Most of the ones in this thread though I did sort of as a "challenge" to myself . To see if I can do one a week. I took little parts from all of them and try to understand the harmonic approach and learn from it.
    Most of them I wouldn't have been able though to play them convincingly without the original track.

My main motivation for transcribing these solos is really the harmonic approach of those great players.
    At the beginning I of course stole lines like everyone probably did. In the last year or two it is way more about learning what harmonic concepts those guys use and how I can learn from it for my lines.
    The osmosis thing for me is more about maybe swing feel and maybe arranging your Ideas. Leaving spaces and constructing an interesting solo over a few choruses kinda "sunk" in for me after transcribing a lot.

The discussion part is something Im currently thinking about. I did a video recently where I discussed my own playing and all that comes with that. Im planning on doing that a bit more in depth for future transcriptions.
    It just takes a lot of time and this youtube thing is really more a hobby atm.
    But your definitely right in that it would be more of an interesting discussion with that !

I hope I could answer some of your questions!
    Thanks for your time !

Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morroben
    I've worked on this solo off and on over the last year, and never got it together as good as this. Nice work!
    I have stolen some smaller pieces from this solo even though I can't do the whole thing this cleanly. The lick from :45 - :51 is a great one, but have a hard time using it elsewhere.

Thanks man ! It is a great solo. Do you mean the one that goes over // Em7b5 A7 / Dm7 G7 //
    Have you tried practicing it over any different 1 6 2 5 or 3 6 2 5 ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Hey Matty, great job but you missed a chance to make some money ! There was this fool on another thread offering $1000 to anyone who can post a transcription they done by ear. No joking!
    Damit !!! but well , I went to college to study Jazz guitar so it wouldn't be the first time I passed an opportunity to make money :P

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matty91
    The discussion part is something Im currently thinking about. I did a video recently where I discussed my own playing and all that comes with that. Im planning on doing that a bit more in depth for future transcriptions....
    Matt
    I'll be looking out for that, we need more "advanced" content on this Forum

User Info Menu

Hi guys,After a long brake I am back with another transcription video on the first Chorus of Moment's Notice.Always loved Blue Trane and finally got around doing some work on this tune.I also put some information I read up on about the record into the video.I hope you enjoy it!

User Info Menu

back at it. Fighting through Pat MArtinos amazing solo over Just Friends