LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

London Jazz Guitar Society:
    www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M. View Post
    I recently purchased his master class series from Mymasterclass.com. It is loaded with great information and well worth the cost. He demonstrates the material very clearly and carefully, yet it moves along well and covers a lot of ground. I recommend all 4 parts of the series. His explanation of chromatics within triads and 4 note chords was a revelation for me. An incredible player and excellent teacher as well.
    Which part is that in, please? I have the first two (so far).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot View Post
    Which part is that in, please? I have the first two (so far).
    Part 3, 15:53-22:39

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    Thank you!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thanks for responding. I haven't been back to this thread for awhile.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

There are plenty of videos of Grasso with bassist John Lang backing vocalist Yaala Ballin at this link.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

In reference to the Poor Butterfly video Joan Chamorro replied to a comment stating in July there will be a CD of the Grasso brothers and in September a CD of the violinist. I don't know if that means the Grasso brothers will appear on the violinist's CD as well though but the July CD is suppose to be ready for this year's Jazzing Festival. I don't know whether the CD recordings are from the same session from the video performance or if they are studio recordings from another session date.

Update: I asked Chamorro about the CDs and he replied:
    The Grasso brothers appear in my next 4 cd's
    1) arrangements by Luigi Grasso (agost 2017)
    2) Joan Chamorro presents Elia Bastida (september 2017)
    3) Jazzing 7 (only Luigi Grasso), from the sant andreu jazz band (september 2017)
    4) Jazzing 8 (with Luigi and Pasquale), sant andreu jazz band (the next year 2018)
    Last edited by Ovader; 06-25-2017 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Additional information.

User Info Menu

Deserves more:

User Info Menu

well - don't blame me - that was rather good

the wonder of it is that he can hear all that so clearly and so unhesitatingly

you can catch a lot of it as a (practiced) listener - but he is hearing all of it (and probably lots more around it that he doesn't quite play) all the time.

that must be a very good thing indeed

User Info Menu

And there's nothing sinister about a mission to mould and enfranchise young talent. (Oh... wait a minute... Yes, there is.)

Back to the music, I thought it rather good, too.

And I'll go to the concerts and take great pleasure from them ('practised listener' that I am).

Nevertheless, I'd love to hear Pasquale play Poor Butterfly with Ken Peplowski, who - like Pasquale - inhabits the standards 'like a boss' (in the parlance of our times). A seasoned player, KP has shared the following life lessons on his blog:

1. Never address a police officer as “sport”

2. White men (speaking as one myself) should never, ever (a) wear baseball hats backwards (and, incidentally, unless you’re in a softball team, have skin cancer, or are under six years old, it’s probably a bad idea to wear them forwards, too) (b) do the “fist-bump” (or any other kind of “soul” greeting) and (c) dance to any kind of music (especially at weddings)

3. If you hang out, on purpose, at a “Chuck-E-Cheese” restaurant by yourself and you’re over 18, you will eventually be arrested.

4. You should never take your shirt off at the opera.

5. A hospital emergency room is probably not the best place to break out that jar of marinated herring you’ve been longing to try.

6. While most dogs like to be petted, they do not like to be shaved (the same rule applies to my friend Chuck Redd)

7. The term “drive-through window” should not be taken literally.

8. Despite the many times you try to casually work it into your conversations, the word “Nipples” will never be accepted as an appropriate nickname by your wife.

9. When one wants to express one’s overall delight to the guy in the next seat while exiting a funny movie or play, the proper expression is NOT: “I laughed so hard, I think I just shat in your pants!”

10. Important business meetings should not be interrupted by a “spontaneous” performance of “KP’s Puppet Theatre”.
    Last edited by destinytot; 06-26-2017 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Remove quoted text

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Groyniad View Post
    well - don't blame me - that was rather good
    You're talking about the video in post no. 99! :

...as Signor Roberto put it, "Ma come ci capiamo male!"
    Last edited by destinytot; 06-26-2017 at 09:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Check out the playing of Agostino Di Giorgio (with whom Pasquale studied) in this great clip - especially 4m25 to 7m05:

User Info Menu

I was just tipped off that Pasquale Grasso is on Zaid Nasser's new album 'The Stroller', released last Friday.

Pasquale Grasso-150908-jpg

User Info Menu

The same friend has also just hipped me to 'Wail' by the Fat Bros Quintet. I had no idea this existed. It's on iTunes if you search for "Fat Bros"

Pasquale Grasso-1200x630bb-jpg

User Info Menu

To those that might not know it but Pasquale runs the jam at Mezzrow on Monday nights almost every week. So can get a dose of Grasso for free either at Mezzrow or on the Smalls Live Stream.
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

User Info Menu

The same friend has also just hipped me to 'Wail' by the Fat Bros Quintet. I had no idea this existed. It's on iTunes if you search for "Fat Bros"

Pasquale Grasso-1200x630bb-jpg
    Thanks for the heads up on this. I did not know that this existed either.

User Info Menu

With the new recordings, I just hope people have figured out how to record his guitar so it doesn't sound like a shitty bootleg.
    Navdeep Singh.

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot View Post
    Check out the playing of Agostino Di Giorgio (with whom Pasquale studied) in this great clip - especially 4m25 to 7m05:
    I love everything about that solo!

User Info Menu

At a jam session last month.

User Info Menu

His Trenier sounds like a piano.

User Info Menu

His Trenier sounds like a piano.

User Info Menu

Bassist Jamale Davis has his second album coming out this October. The first video from the recording session just dropped on Facebook.

Last edited by David B; 09-17-2017 at 04:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Can I just say, that for a while I thought the guitar wasn't the instrument i wanted to play. It doesn't have the harmonic capabilities of a piano nor the articulation of a horn.

Grasso has completely changed my opinion.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Saw a Facebook post by Matt Pierson stating he was recording Grasso in a solo guitar setting with his Trenier and Fender combo amp at Sear Sound. Hopefully this will be a great sound recording compared to previous attempts. I saw a video camera present as well so perhaps this is an instructional session instead of a new solo album. Lots of Bud was mentioned

Edit: The video camera was documenting the sessions as new recordings will be released later this year.
    Last edited by Ovader; 02-04-2018 at 12:04 PM.

User Info Menu

I missed a March 1st FB post by Matt Pierson stating with a selfie with Grasso that this is day three of recording solo Pasquale. Lotsa Monk today.

User Info Menu

He's going to play solo Monk?!

If I could hear anything in the world it would be him playing solo Monk
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

I just noticed Pasquale Grasso appears on yet another Chris Byars album "New York City Jazz" on the Steeplechase label. It was released this past January but recorded in December 2016. I have a wireless keyboard and can't copy/paste a link but it is easy to locate to get more details on the album. I like how PASQUALE GRASSO is listed amongst the list of musicians on the album in upper case letters while the others are not

User Info Menu

Wow! Not sure how anyone could listen to that and not be blown away.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ovader View Post
    I just noticed Pasquale Grasso appears on yet another Chris Byars album "New York City Jazz" on the Steeplechase label. It was released this past January but recorded in December 2016. I have a wireless keyboard and can't copy/paste a link but it is easy to locate to get more details on the album. I like how PASQUALE GRASSO is listed amongst the list of musicians on the album in upper case letters while the others are not
    Thanks for the heads-up on that. Listening now on Spotify. Sounds like the same performances that appear earlier in this thread, with the band sat in a circle.

Last edited by David B; 03-23-2018 at 10:29 AM.

User Info Menu

I have to admit I like that solo playing SO MUCH more than the Sextet. It begs the question (easy to answer for myself, I know. But you guys are my jazz buds and I trust your opinions), are there solo guitar recordings I should get and listen to?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett View Post
    Wow! Not sure how anyone could listen to that and not be blown away.
    To be honest ... pluck pluck stab .. back forth .. pluck plink stab .. chord .. quick scale run .. stab pluck pluck .. short pause .. stab .. chord down up .. quick scale run ... pause ... stab.

I can appreciate that it is probably impossible to play if you're not PG .. but I can also really dig that someone might not like it

User Info Menu

I'm blown away by it, from a technical standpoint...his mastery of the instrument and his concept are waaaay out there, like I'd say few come close, really.

From a musical standpoint, I get the same vibe as I do from Joe pass' virtuoso records. It's fine for a few minutes, but then my ears need a break.

Now that clip of him just playing at Trenier''s shop is lovely.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

I have to admit I like that solo playing SO MUCH more than the Sextet. It begs the question (easy to answer for myself, I know. But you guys are my jazz buds and I trust your opinions), are there solo guitar recordings I should get and listen to?
    Pasquale has a solo record out ‘Reflections of Me’, you can get it in from iTunes, Amazon etc. Must admit I have not got it because it sounds a bit ‘busy’ for my taste, also the guitar sound is a bit hard or at least there’s something about the sound that puts me off for some reason.

As it happens I’ve been searching out solo jazz guitar stuff recently (apart from the obvious Joe Pass or Martin Taylor stuff, already got some of those). Those I liked and purchased were:
    Mimi Fox - Perpetually Hip (2 CDs, one is solo), Standards
    Andy Brown - Soloist
    Peter Bernstein - Solo Guitar (live at Smalls)
    Howard Alden - My Shining Hour.

User Info Menu

The thing I like most about Pasquale is his harmony. Not just the beautiful movement, but the old school romantic flavor. Sometimes reminds me of the string intros on old Sinatra etc or wih strings albums. I’d like to see him chill out with the virtuoso type runs as well, though. I think he will. I’d like to see him go in the direction of the above video in the shop. Talk about romantic! It’s too bad about the recording quality on reflections. Really looking forward to the nww album
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758 View Post
    The thing I like most about Pasquale is his harmony. Not just the beautiful movement, but the old school romantic flavor. Sometimes reminds me of the string intros on old Sinatra etc or wih strings albums. I’d like to see him chill out with the virtuoso type runs as well, though. I think he will. I’d like to see him go in the direction of the above video in the shop. Talk about romantic! It’s too bad about the recording quality on reflections. Really looking forward to the nww album
    Yes I like his playing and sound on that video in the shop. If his solo CD had sounded more like that, I would probably have got it. There’s something unpleasant in the recording of that CD, almost sounds like two out-of-phase mics were used.

User Info Menu

It begs the question (easy to answer for myself, I know. But you guys are my jazz buds and I trust your opinions), are there solo guitar recordings I should get and listen to?
    Pasquale has the aforementioned 'Reflections of Me' and some additional streaming live tracks on his website.

Other solo guitar records I like:
    Peter Leitch - 'Self Portrait'
    Howard Alden - 'My Shining Hour'
    Johnny Smith - 'The Man with the Blue Guitar'
    Jonathan Kreisberg - 'One'
    Nelson Veras - 'Solo Session vol.1'

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Does anybody know if Pasquale Grasso's gig at Mezzrow tonight at 11pm is solo guitar or group?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar View Post
    Does anybody know if Pasquale Grasso's gig at Mezzrow tonight at 11pm is solo guitar or group?
    Duo with Ari Roland on bass.

User Info Menu

Pasquale's guitar sounds like a piano in the video from Luca's. An amazing player!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

User Info Menu