Jazz Guitar
+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 39 of 39

"Top Dog" in Finals at International Songwriting Contest!

I am really proud to announce that "Top Dog" is in the Finals at the International Songwriting Competition!

Now it will be judged along with 9 other compositions by a jury including Joshua Redman and McCoy Tyner.

Here's the recording from of the song from our album "Push":

Jens
    jenslarsen.nl --- My YouTube Channel with lessons and live videos--- YT Lesson Facebook page --- Træben album: Storm on itunes

I endorse Ibanez guitars, John Daw Custom picks and QSC monitors

2. # ADS
    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Awesome...
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

Thanks Frank!

Jens
    jenslarsen.nl --- My YouTube Channel with lessons and live videos--- YT Lesson Facebook page --- Træben album: Storm on itunes

Congratulations! Sounds like a good augur for the future. The first association I had when listening was of a band I listened to quite a bit years ago - weather report. Zawinul, Shorter, Vitous, can't remember the drummer .

Quote Originally Posted by targuit View Post
    Congratulations! Sounds like a good augur for the future. The first association I had when listening was of a band I listened to quite a bit years ago - weather report. Zawinul, Shorter, Vitous, can't remember the drummer .
    Alex Acuna?
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

Quote Originally Posted by targuit View Post
    Thanks! That's quite a compliment!

Jens

You guys sound great! Congratulations and good luck.

Thanks Evan!

Jens

congratulations. Sounds great. Good luck the rest of the way.

Thanks Colin! Glad you like it!

Jens

Congrats Jens,

while you're soloing, are you playing those chords underneath your solo? :-) Sounds almost like another guitar track or a second guitar player - great stuff!

Your single lines seem unaffected by the fact that you're playing the harmony as well, I'm always struggling to do so, it's more like a "oh, he just started playing chords (during his solo) and forgot almost completely about the melody" :-)

Question is - how do you do it? (stupid one) or maybe - how to practice these skills?

Quote Originally Posted by jzjazz View Post
    Congrats Jens,

while you're soloing, are you playing those chords underneath your solo? :-) Sounds almost like another guitar track or a second guitar player - great stuff!

Your single lines seem unaffected by the fact that you're playing the harmony as well, I'm always struggling to do so, it's more like a "oh, he just started playing chords (during his solo) and forgot almost completely about the melody" :-)

Question is - how do you do it? (stupid one) or maybe - how to practice these skills?
    Hi Jzjazz!

Thanks for checking out the song! Great that you like it.

There is indeed only one guitar on the song How about this: I sometimes write lessons on the blog on my website, so I think I could write one with some exercises for this and then I'll PM you when it is up? I think I have a bit of time the coming week so it should be pretty soon. I did work on it specifically but not only using one approach though.

Jens

Hi Jens,

this would be perfect, I believe I wouldn't be the only one enjoying such a lesson :-) If it's no problem PM me please, but I'll try to visit your blog anyway from time to time, so I should find it on my own

Thanks and good luck with the next competition stage,

Jakub

And here's then the blog about using chords in solos:
    http://jenslarsen.nl/using-chords-solos/

I hope it's useful.

Jens

That is an awesome lesson. Thanks, Jens!

You're welcome Dan! Thanks for checking it out!

Jens

Congratulations! That's quite an achievement. Good luck in the final round of judging. O, and I like the tune too!
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

Congrats & Good luck

Hi Jens,

just found "Nordic Project" on Deezer, I will certainly listen to it!. Just out of curiosity - what's your influence on being or not being on Deezer/Spotify? I don't see "Push" (I guess that the album "Top Dog" is from?).

Do you get fair money from Deezer/Spotify? Since I discovered Deezer, I buy much less CD's but listen to much more music, especially music I wouldn't buy just because I didn't know the artist...
    '

Thanks Mark and Kris! Glad you like it!

As for the Deezer thing. Nordic Project is on released on the OAP label and they get all money that is coming in through that so I have no idea about how much that might be. I'll check it out, we should make "Push" available. It is on spotify, and also Itunes and CdBaby as download and cd.

AFAIK we don't make any money from Spotify, we get something like €0.0008 per time somebody listens...
    That said it is IMO always better to be available for a band like us, we almost only sell cd's at concerts anyway, and that is going quite well.

Jens

Congratulations and good luck! This is a wonderful tune, brilliantly played by all. Your technique, tone, and musical choices are all excellent. Love this track, well done. I bought the album on itunes and am listening to it as I write this, very nice. Also, thanks for the blog lesson, most informative.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by VanDan View Post
    Congratulations and good luck! This is a wonderful tune, brilliantly played by all. Your technique, tone, and musical choices are all excellent. Love this track, well done. I bought the album on itunes and am listening to it as I write this, very nice. Also, thanks for the blog lesson, most informative.

Dan
    Thanks Dan! I am glad you like it

Jens

Very cool, congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Soco View Post
    Very cool, congrats!
    Thanks Jostein!

Jens

Hi Jens,

I'm practicing the chord thing every day - thanks for that! :-) At yersterday's rehearsal I felt that I'm getting quite good at it, I was playing amazing! solos including chords. But unfortunately there was also a Zoom H4 present and there is still a lot work as it turned out today :-)

I've also found your second CD on Deezer, it's spelled with ae and not the with joined "AE", that's why I didn't find it before.

So far I've listened a couple times to the first CD and love it! Great stuff, I already started to look for people to create a similar band! :-) Great compositions and bass-grooves, great guitar of course. Great overall sound (I'm a sound engineer when I don't play guitar). Congratulations!
    Last edited by jzjazz; 03-26-2014 at 07:43 AM.

very nice!

WOW, I just checked that one!
    Good luck, you guys rock!! Sorry, I mean jazz!!

I checked out a few of the other contestants. You guys are in good company. I see Ben Monder is playing on the Bruno Raberg tune. And I see McCoy Tyner is one of the judges. But I got a feeling, especially with a name like Top Dog! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jzjazz View Post
    Hi Jens,

I'm practicing the chord thing every day - thanks for that! :-) At yersterday's rehearsal I felt that I'm getting quite good at it, I was playing amazing! solos including chords. But unfortunately there was also a Zoom H4 present and there is still a lot work as it turned out today :-)

I've also found your second CD on Deezer, it's spelled with ae and not the with joined "AE", that's why I didn't find it before.

So far I've listened a couple times to the first CD and love it! Great stuff, I already started to look for people to create a similar band! :-) Great compositions and bass-grooves, great guitar of course. Great overall sound (I'm a sound engineer when I don't play guitar). Congratulations!
    I am glad it's working for you! If you have any questions then post it here or pm me.

Good luck with the band!

Jens

Quote Originally Posted by markf View Post
    very nice!
    Thanks Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by disco~juice View Post
    WOW, I just checked that one!
    Good luck, you guys rock!! Sorry, I mean jazz!!
    Thanks! Jazz'n Roll!

Jens

Quote Originally Posted by jster View Post
    I checked out a few of the other contestants. You guys are in good company. I see Ben Monder is playing on the Bruno Raberg tune. And I see McCoy Tyner is one of the judges. But I got a feeling, especially with a name like Top Dog! Good luck!
    Thanks Paul, I didn't actually check the other ones.... e.g. Ben Monder immediately sounds scary..

I am curious how it is going to go but I am mostly thrilled that the song made it this far already. I wrote it 12 years ago when I was still studying, and we played it with a group I was in once and left it for a few years.

Jens

I am very proud to announce that my composition "Top Dog" has received honorable mentions at the international songwriting contest 2013, a contest with a total of more than 20.000 entries!

"Top Dog" receives honourable mention at ISC! | Jens Larsen

congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by JensL View Post
    I am very proud to announce that my composition "Top Dog" has received honorable mentions at the international songwriting contest 2013, a contest with a total of more than 20.000 entries!

"Top Dog" receives honourable mention at ISC! | Jens Larsen
    Congratulations Jens!

Thanks Franklin and Kris! I am in a really good mood today!

Jens

Congratulations. That is quite an achievement.
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

Love it! Great tune and great performance. I'd buy this CD!

Thanks Mark and Jack!

If you want to order the actual cd in the States this is probably the best place:

Traeben | CD Baby Music Store

iTunes and all that is in my signature.

Jens

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed