Likes Likes:  0
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,

I've posted a video of me playing Moon River by myself on Youtube if anyone is interested . I'm playing a Sadowsky Semi Hollow through a Henricksen JazzAmp. Any and all comments and opinions very welcome.

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very nice. Gorgeous tone and elegant touch.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I loved it jon!! I also really dig your There Will Never Be Another You!

I would love to see your chords or arrangements for either. I play There will... in Eb, and Moon River in C.

Sailor

User Info Menu

Thanks for listening!
    Moon river was in E (I think the original was in F), but if you want it in C my changes would be:

C | Am | F | C |
    F | C | Bm7b5 | E7 |
    Am | C7 | F | Bb7 |
    Am | F#m7b5 B7 | Em7 A7 | Dm7 G7 |

C | Am | F | C |
    F | C | Bm7b5 | E7 |
    Am | Am/G | F#m7b5 | B7 |
    C | F | C | F |
    Em7 | A7 | Dm7 | G7 |
    C | ... | ... | ... |

For a turnaround I played C Eb7 D7 DbM7

I'm pretty sure "Another You" is just the standard real book changes in Eb.
    Hope that helps,
    Jon

User Info Menu

Great playing,
    and a wonderful sound from your guitar too!

I like the tune, and you made it sound even better!
    Peace
    &
    all else that goes with it
    Skei (the practicing all the time one)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skei View Post
    Great playing,
    and a wonderful sound from your guitar too!

I like the tune, and you made it sound even better!
    Peace
    &
    all else that goes with it
    Skei (the practicing all the time one)
    Thank you! Glad you liked it.
    Jon

User Info Menu

Jon,

Lovely piece. What kind of setup did you have for this?

Cheers,
    Sardius

User Info Menu

Jon thanks for the changes. I forgot to mention that I play this song in 4 instead of 3 and with a Bossa beat! Sounds cool.

Sailor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sardius View Post
    Jon,

Lovely piece. What kind of setup did you have for this?

Cheers,
    Sardius
    Thanks for listening!
    my setup is: Sadowsky Semi-Hollow, Alesis Nanoverb, Henriksen Jazzamp, D'addario .012's. Recorded on my webcam and an iRiver h340 with a little sony mic.

Hope that's what you were after. All the best,

Jon

User Info Menu

Nice vid, has that Frissel vibe, have you heard his version of Moon River from his album with Elvin Jones and Dave Holland. You might dig it.

MW

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m78w View Post
    Nice vid, has that Frissel vibe, have you heard his version of Moon River from his album with Elvin Jones and Dave Holland. You might dig it.

MW
    Hey thanks for the heads up. No, I haven't heard that version. I've been listening to the Mehldau one on Art of the Trio Vol 2, but I'd love to hear Frissell play it. I'll check it out. Thanks a lot!

Jon

User Info Menu

Ausgezeichnet, Jon. I loved the arrangement. It really flows well and is loaded with feeling. That's the kind of stuff I like to play. Thanks also for the changes.

User Info Menu

I assume the C is CM7 and F is FM7, etc....... what other turnarounds can I use here. I-vi-ii-V-I or C - C#dim - Dmin -G7???

Great song in 4 ala Bossa Nova!

Sailor

User Info Menu

Full of soul. Thanks for posting it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    I assume the C is CM7 and F is FM7, etc....... what other turnarounds can I use here. I-vi-ii-V-I or C - C#dim - Dmin -G7???

Great song in 4 ala Bossa Nova!

Sailor
    Sure, you could use that for a turnaround. Really though, if you are playing on your own, you could use absolutely any combination of 4 (or more) chords which resolve nicely back to the first chord in the tune. If there's no other instrument playing, then it's up to you what you want to do. The options are literally unlimited. My version was pretty conservative in this way.

Likewise with the C and F: C just means some kind of C major chord - could be maj 7, could be a C Triad, could be sus2, could be maj7#11, could be 6, could be... The basic chord is C, and after that it's up to the player/s.

I think it's good to learn early that none of this stuff is set in stone, and to try very hard not to get fixed ideas about a tune should or even could be played. Good exercise - play it 4 times in a half hour - each time with a totally different feel and with slightly different versions of the basic chords/turnarounds. Now do it for another half hour. Keep going until you absolutely can't think of anything new, then stop. Don't play it all the way through in the same style more than once in that time.

Hope that means something

Jon

User Info Menu

Great response Jon- Your advice and comments are spot on! I end up always playing a tune the same way once I get a good version, which is probably very limiting!

I'm a long time musician but a relative new jazzer, and I do tend to look for things "set in stone.; I want to know the rules before I break them!!

I also have a big chord question I'm posting under "chord" section; love to get your input.

Thanks Sailor