Likes Likes:  0
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Hey guys. I just put up a myspace, there's really nothing much on it. I never had one before now. Anyway, I put a recording of myself playing Easy to Love on there. The qualities really poor but if you can give it a listen and tell me what you think, that'd be great. I tried to put I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face on there too but it said the file was too big. I'll figure something out and I'll let you know when there's other stuff up there. Until then, I want honest comments (don't worry about it, I've got thick skin).

MySpace.com - Que Pasa Hombre - ELDORADO, Ohio - Bassanova - www.myspace.com/quepasahombreva

that should work. Anyway, any opinions are more than welcome.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great stuff, looking forward to hearing more!!

MW

User Info Menu

any suggestions for anything?

User Info Menu

Alright I think I just added There'll Never Be Another You and I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face. Damn. I picked all the songs with long names.

User Info Menu

I would just say to keep listening to ALOT of jazz. Really try and figure out HOW they are playing their notes, maybe not only what they are playing. You have great ideas and I can tell you are really digging on the theory of jazz and working on playing lines and the proper scales/arps. The next step is to take the same material and really dig in on the time, make the tune really swing hard.

But that's how to get to the next level, you're already starting at a very good place, keep it up man great work!!

MW

User Info Menu

Yeah, I sort of catch myself losing the swing and turning it back on in the middle of a song, so I sort of go in and out. The parts where I sort of slip out of it I find myself sounding kinda mechanical. I'm still really trying to get in the habit of singing while I play because that helps me a lot. It's sort of a cycle. I start playing a lot better when I sing. When I play better I really start getting into it. When I start getting into it I start to lose my focus a little and sort of lose the groove. Then I catch myself and start the singing again.

User Info Menu

Hey guys, I'm going to be going away for a week and won't have access to a computer or an electric guitar (I will have my classical though, no worries), so if you have any comments or anything I probably won't be able to respond for a few days. Thanks again.

User Info Menu

Hey guys, I just got back. I'd love some more comments on my playing. Thanks again.

User Info Menu

This has nothing to do with this thread but I figure, since it's just about my music, this is as good a place as any. I actually am really excited because I just got offered my first official teaching job with a music store teaching beginners. I'm pretty psyched.

User Info Menu

Congrats!!!!! That's great man, just remember that even though it might be a local music store, you are the first person to teach most of these kids music. So you never know you might have the next Pat Metheny walking through your studio, or you might just turn a bunch of kids onto the guitar. Either way it's a great job and you will do great at it!

MW

User Info Menu

DMB:Teacjing beginners takes great patience. Make sure they know the essentials above all else before you even start. Knowing how to tune the guitar would be 1st...Your 'Easy to LOve" is a little hesitant, not as fluid as the listener might want. Take the toughest section and practice it. Take, say, four chords and play them repeatedly until you drive yourself crazy. Soon you'l be able to play those four without consulting the fretboard-you'l play then while staring straight ahead. That's where you want to be..I think you're on the cusp of this and some nice single lines as well....I had a friend who had an autographed album cover-it read, 'Joe-keep practicing, Jimi Hendrix."

User Info Menu

Yeah I've taught beginners before, just never as an official job. I'm pretty excited.

Thanks for the comments about the Easy To Love. That's definitely the biggest challenge, for me, of making the transition between blues/rock and jazz. The phrasing sort of comes and goes but I'm getting a little better at it. It's a little bit slow going, but what can you do. MW's suggestion was listening more and I got Pure Desmond from Amazon on the same day he made that post. That album's been the background music for my life over the past few days. It's on at work, in the car, in my room when I go to bed, etc. I'm also trying to learn some of his solos of the album (MW posted some transcriptions). Anyway, thanks for the advice any comments are welcomed.

User Info Menu

PLay the changes again and again until they flow. You will eventually feel the 13 chords, the 7b9s- you'l feel how they go under your fingers.I now purposely play some of these CM charts while not looking at the fretboard.
    McCartney's guitarist Rusty Anderson used to teach extensively and he said the beginners truly burned him out on teaching....Desmond is the greatest....If you can, take a peek at Robert Yelin's CM of 'Easy to Love."I use this one, and it's a crowd pleaser....Also-your cover of Accustomed reminded me whAt a terrific tune it is.....Thanks!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the compliment on the Accustomed to Her Face. I love that song. I have Wes doing it chord melody. Beautiful. I really am trying to get the changes under my fingers. I pick two or three songs a week and try to get really in depth with those.

I did some lessons this week at the store as a sub. A couple of beginners that required some patience, but there were also some pretty interested kids who were starting to improvise (pattern 1 pentatonic, but still) and I had some fun with them. Anyway. Thanks for the advice.

User Info Menu

Dmathews - You've only been playing guitar 3 years?? I think you sound great, I was strumming folk songs for the first ten years myself!!

I spent a lot of time learning to play and teach classical music but this jazz thing has really got me. I've also been in rock bands, reggae bands, etcc... but now I just want to learn to play standards.

I can't believe you sound this good after 3 years!

Sailor

User Info Menu

Wow. Thanks a lot. I appreciate the compliments. Yeah I did the whole blues and rock thing for a while, and I'm trying not to totally cut that out. It's hard because the jazz thing seems to require a musician's full concentration. The fact that nobody in the area plays jazz doesn't really help either. haha. Anyway, thanks alot.
    Last edited by DMatthewsBand07; 07-17-2008 at 07:49 AM.

Yeah man, that's great stuff! Congrats, for 3 years you are really good! I added you on myspace, btw.

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot man. By the way, I just put up two new songs.

I did Everything I Love, that one's pretty much fun with a four track. I did the walking bass and comp as seperate tracks. I got bored and decided I was going to add a little percussion. haha. My percussion is an old paintbrush and an empty CD case. It sounded alright, but didn't record well. It sounds almost like static. Oh well. I figured it was worth a shot. The other one I did is Wave. The chord melody is pretty sloppy but oh well.
    Last edited by DMatthewsBand07; 07-18-2008 at 12:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Hmm... can you post the .wav files somewhere? I'd like to try to remove the noise and boost the levels a little with some of the recording software I have.

Or p.m. me at flmason@earthlink.net

User Info Menu

Good stuff man,
    I really don't have the knowledge to criticize from a know it all point of view, but to me it sounds great!

You've got that thing to make variations, like slow restful moments, and then a tension, some rushes, I love it, dynamical, like jazz should be (in my humble opinion).
    Hope to one day be as good at it as you!
    Peace
    &
    Dynamics
    Skei (the looking for a tone one)

User Info Menu

This is great for so little time playing DM. Watch that time amigo. Work on that like nuts. And listen to a lot of swing. Try singing along with sinatra then once it's in your voice (listen very carefully to the entry of the notes) try playing along on guitar. Brilliant practice. But if you're doing this after only three years you're gonna be steamin amigo!!

Best

Mike

User Info Menu

Hey thanks man... MW was talking about the same thing... that's by far the hardest thing for me to get the hang of... swing.

I can't really seem to keep it swinging, but I'm improvising twice as much everyday now as I used to and it seems to be coming. I haven't added anything in the past three weeks or so but I'll add something soon and you guys can let me know how I'm coming along.

User Info Menu

Hey, DMatthews,
    I ear your post on myspace and I find you have much talent. Easy Love I can't ear,There'll Never Be Another wonderfull,to quickly for me and yuor interpretation of "I've Grown Accustomed" is wonderfull too, that is the style I want to play. Maybe you can post a PDF of the arrangement. Keep it up.
    Best for the future
    Antonio

User Info Menu

I don't have anything to write it out with. If anyone has any ideas for how I might be able to do that then I'd be glad to.

User Info Menu

Hey, DMatthews,
    Have you windows as operating system oder Mac????

User Info Menu

Try this one, I use myself sometime, it's completely free.

Power Tab .net - Download Center

User Info Menu

Mac... I'll see if I can try the Power Tab. Does it do standard notation as well?

User Info Menu

Yes, it can both.
    Sorry but Power Tab is just for windows.
    I don't know if existing for mac, maybe someone in the forum can help you.
    I will follow up a matter.

User Info Menu

You know what... It must be too early for me. I have no idea why I just said I have a Mac. Definitely windows. Wow. I'm gonna go get some coffee. I'm going to check that link out.

User Info Menu

Theory wise, your choice of notes is really good... I think you need to listen and transcribe some blues records and players to help your phrasing though. Well done though, you're sounding alright for 3 years.

User Info Menu

I'm no critic but I enjoyed it.
    When you outlaw guns, Only outlaws have them!