The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hofner Verythin Standard - Red
    Here’s the last new German-built Verythin Standard I have to sell. This one is New Old Stock from 2007 and has been resting comfortably in the main bunker. It has a gloss translucent red finish, anigree front, back and rims, flamed maple neck, end-to-end mahogany block, rosewood fret board and mother-of-pearl dot inlays. It's a striking guitar, with Hofner’s classic “lilies-of-the-valley” headstock inlays in mother of pearl.

It comes with an OEM Hofner hardshell case by Winter, made in Germany as well.

Price drop to $1,800 (from $1,950) plus shipping to anywhere. Payment by Paypal Friends & Family, check, bag o' cash.

Hofner reintroduced its iconic Verithin with the Verythin Classic, in 2000; and the Verythin Standard, in 2002. These German-made guitars have been made in very limited quantities - fewer than 500 Verythin Standards were made from 2002 to @2020, when German production of these models ceased, although lower-cost Chinese versions are still available. This particular guitar was a display guitar at the Hofner booth at the NAMM show, and I grabbed it for myself. I've gotten to that point in my life where I've decided that I don't need multiple Verythins. I'm keeping one Verythin Standard and one Verythin Classic.

Specifications:
    -Schaller tuners, nickel-plated
    -tune-o-matic-style bridge & tailpiece, nickel-plated
    -two volume, two tone controls, Hofner OEM knobs, three-way pickup selector switch.
    -laminated anigree top, back and rims
    -solid mahogany block
    -maple neck
    -dark rosewood fretboard
    -Hofner’s classic “lilies-of-the-valley” mother of pearl inlaid headstock overlay
    -25.25" | 25 1/4” | @641mm scale length
    -1.25" | 1 1/4” | 31.75mm rim depth
    -16 1/2" wide
    -1.684” | 1 11/16” | 42.78mm nut width
    -.845” | 27/32” | 21.46mm neck depth at first fret
    -.882” | 113/128” | 22.4mm neck depth at twelfth fret
    -“C” shape neck profile
    -weight 3.09 kg | 6.8123 lbs
    -medium frets, shiny and new, with ovalized ends - MANY hours went into this fretwork, which is gorgeous
    -Schaller Straplocks, nickel-plated
    -Hofner OEM vintage-style humbucking pickups supplied by Schaller, nickel-plated covers
    -Neck pickup - @7.45 DC out
    -Bridge pickup - @16.25 DC out
    -Hofner OEM double-arched Winter German-made hardshell case

Condition:
    The guitar has never been sold at retail.
    It is as new, with no fret wear. And the frets are gorgeous - many hours of work spent on them.
    There are a few tiny finish flaws around the tops of the f-holes, baked into the finish, and very minor discolouration of the clearcoat on the headstock, as shown in the pix. This is why I'm selling it for 2k as opposed to 2.5k. I've taken it out to play a couple of times over the years, so I can polish it up if you want. This particular guitar has a VERY thin finish.

Despite its passing resemblance to an ES-335, the guitar feels and sounds quite different - MUCH lighter, and brighter sounding. The longer scale gives it a much snappier sound - I’ve always considered these guitars as semis for Fender players. With a suede backed-strap, it balances fine. With a strap made of seatbelt material, not so much. It is so light that it's simply not an issue. Or install a Bigsby! Or I'll install a new Bigsby for you, at cost (I get them wholesale). When I did take this guitar out, I got more comments about it that any of my many
    other guitars - chicks dig big red guitars, who knew?

Over at Hofner, European-built Verythin Classics and Standards have disappeared from their website, along with all other European-built archtop guitars. German-built archtops are gone, after having appeared continuously since 1951. They won't be coming back anytime soon. Not a surprise, since they have literally made only a handful of any of them in the past few years.

Pix below. Plays great, sounds great, feels great, and so forth. And it weighs under seven pounds! Come on down!
    Last edited by Hammertone; 02-22-2024 at 03:22 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

A rare bird indeed: a German made Hofner Verythin Standard with a mahogany center block! How do this sound compared to it's sister VTSs that have the spruce center block?

For there own good, somebody needs to buy this one from you, Hammertone!

User Info Menu

Xmas bump!

I'll be in the US between Xmas and New Year's, and can ship from there to a US address for cheap.

What's that, trades? Yeah, sure.
    I really don't need two of these, as well as my swell Verythin Classic. Here's my other Standard, which has a whopper neck:

Attached Images Attached Images NOS Hofner Verythin Standard - Red - Made in Germany-hof-verythin-standard-sbc-n-2-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 01-30-2024 at 04:18 AM.

User Info Menu

In the news, Höfner is re-introducing this made-in-Germany model in 2024, motivated no doubt by my fabulous success selling this one on this forum.

OK, let's celebrate that with a price drop from $1,950 to $1,800, with umlauts added FOR FREE. Someone buy this really great new-old-stock Höfner!