The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

1991 Gibson "Kalamazoo Award" serial# 92761490. This was a leftover from the Kalamazoo Mi. factory, and was found in a bin at the Custom Shop in Nashville. It was in whitewood. When I got the call to see if I would be interested in the guitar I didn't hesitate. Hutch asked me how I wanted it finished, and I asked for sunburst. I also asked if he would put a Johnny Smith pickup on it. The tuners are special also. I have had this since1994.This guitar is the highlight of my collection. Age has caught up with me and it's time to go to a new caretaker. Sold as is. Sorry, but I will not ship this guitar. Local pickup, or we can arrange to meet halfway within reasonable distance. Includes hard shell case.Price drop to $17,500.00
    Attached Images Attached Images 1991 Gibson "Kalamazoo Award"-resized_resized_20220716_151423-jpg 1991 Gibson "Kalamazoo Award"-resized_resized_20220716_152053-jpg 1991 Gibson "Kalamazoo Award"-resized_resized_20220716_152113-jpg 1991 Gibson "Kalamazoo Award"-resized_resized_20220716_160008-jpg 1991 Gibson "Kalamazoo Award"-resized_resized_20220716_160850-jpg 1991 Gibson "Kalamazoo Award"-resized_resized_20220716_160030-1-jpg 1991 Gibson "Kalamazoo Award"-resized_resized_20220716_160035-jpg 
    Last edited by Johnny Mac; 03-12-2024 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Price Drop

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What defines "Local" for you? In other words, where are you?

User Info Menu

I posted comments about Jonny's collection when he listed his beautiful Johnny Smith. I bought his Legrand late last year, all his Gibson's are pristine. Like his guitars, he's a special guy you'll enjoy speaking with. I know you won't find a better example of a J.S. or a Kalamazoo Award, anywhere.

User Info Menu

The OP is definitely an enabler. I can just imagine all the "but honey" discussions going on across the US in the coming days. I would venture to say that in this case, "local" means anybody who is willing to drive to the OP's location to make the buy. I have never seen one of these guitars, and only knew of their existence through my association with the Citation, since they seem to be mentioned in the same breath and paragraphs, so as special as it looks, it must also be equally rare.

I don't need another guitar...I don't need another guitar...I don't need another guitar...I don't need another guitar...I don't need another guitar...I don't need another guitar...I don't need another guitar...I don't need another guitar...I don't need another guitar...I don't need another guitar...I don't need another guitar...I don't need another guitar...

I don't need another guitar...still not convinced.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tbeltrans
    I don't need another guitar...still not convinced.

Tony
    You're not convinced because it just ain't true.

As people of good will, we seek beauty in everything we do.

We are guitar players, and when it comes to guitars, these are as beautiful as it gets.

Draw your own conclusion!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    What defines "Local" for you? In other words, where are you?
    He is north of Grand Rapids, Michigan, or therabouts.

User Info Menu

Johnny lives in Rockford MI, just north of Grand Rapids, He's not being arrogant or hard to work with, these instruments are irreplaceable & he's not a young man, so driving a long distance won't work either
    The hard fact is these guitars are to perfect & rare not to sell, it's just a matter of how bad you want one or "BOTH" (I got the third one).
    Last edited by 17571; 02-20-2023 at 07:04 PM.

Hi Tom, It took me awhile to figure out the site, but I made it thru finally. Johnny Mac.

User Info Menu

What a magnificent guitar. I can’t believe this, and the most beautiful guitar I’ve ever seen (the custom natural L5) made its way to the market at the same time.
    There are beautiful guitars, standard L5’s, Super 400’s , Johnny Smiths, Legrands.. then a cut above, there are these guitars. Truely the best of the best of the best.
    Good Luck with the sale.
    And thanks for posting this beautiful instrument here for us to see.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    What a magnificent guitar. I can’t believe this, and the most beautiful guitar I’ve ever seen (the custom natural L5) made its way to the market at the same time.
    There are beautiful guitars, standard L5’s, Super 400’s , Johnny Smiths, Legrands.. then a cut above, there are these guitars. Truely the best of the best of the best.
    Good Luck with the sale.
    And thanks for posting this beautiful instrument here for us to see.
    Joe D
    To quote Hammertone from months back (I think it was him), "Things are finally starting to get real here."

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Geez, I have an uncle and his family in Rockford out on Nine Mile Road, they've been there for decades. Had a family reunion there back in 1990. Small world!

JM, all of those guitars you've posted are just lovely. Out of my tax bracket, sadly, but best wishes to you and the eventual delighted buyers.

User Info Menu

Stunning!!!

User Info Menu

I’m just curious. Was the pickguard already on it and finished sunburst?

I really don't know the answer, but I would assume that it was in whitewood until I requested sunburst. Hope this helps. We have a storm going on here in Michigan and the internet is down. I'll keep trying.

User Info Menu

I will answer the question. No they did pg separate.

It plays fine. I would put new strings on her, as these are the original strings but I prefer to leave that up to the person who buys it, or if they choose so, I am quite capable of doing it, if I know what their string preference is.

User Info Menu

bump

User Info Menu

I've never seen one of these Kalamazoo Award models (maybe I saw one in a magazine ad). Thanks for posting the pics and I'm sure it's a great guitar. Something you said struck me, that they are the original strings. I didn't know strings could last 30 years and still sound good. Did you play it often?

Yes, I played it in my home and wiped with a soft cloth when I was done. I never took it to a gig. I have other guitars that I take out to play. My Johnny Smith is the same way. Thanks for inquiring.

Price Drop $17,500.00
    Last edited by Johnny Mac; 03-12-2024 at 01:00 PM.