The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I recently had built and imported an acoustic guitar from the UK and am familiar with the duty (8.7%), etc. but don't know about bringing a used, MIJ guitar (GB-10) from Japan. Has anyone dealt with any of the Japanese stores that advertise on Reverb? There seem to be new or exc cond GB-10s available on that side of the world but don't know if I'll get hit with extra $$$. I know some countries are duty free into the U.S. but not sure which. Any help?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have purchased Archtops, flat tops and Classical guitars from Japan. When they get to the US, there is always a tariff due. The amount depends on the invoice that must accompany the instrument.

Cincy

User Info Menu

I've bought a number of guitars from Japan, mostly from Ishibashi. So if you are looking on reverb for something Ishi is selling, go right to Ishi's U-Box instead and buy directly from them. You may save yourself hundreds of dollars, but you will definitely save money no matter how much. I've done this a few times and saved anywhere from $100 to $300 buying directly from the store and ignoring their ad on Reverb. And I've never been hit with customs charges on anything I've gotten from Japan.

User Info Menu

U.S. import duty for acoustics, archtops, semi-hollows is currently 8.7% of the value. Solid body guitars have no duty to import.

User Info Menu

No duty is imposed on anything below $800 in value, whatever it is.

User Info Menu

The rules and rates seem to change based on how they’re feeling that day.

User Info Menu

I bought a MIJ archtop, an expensive instrument. Got hit with a totally unexpected tariff which was substantial enough that I would have reconsidered my purchase initially. Frankly, it came as such a surprise that I initially thought it was a scammer looking to steal my money. Maybe it was, in its own way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    No duty is imposed on anything below $800 in value, whatever it is.
    Yes, this is the “de minimus” exception.

User Info Menu

do you get hit with import taxes on a usa made guitar from japan?

User Info Menu

Not if they fill out the proper customs forms stating it originated in the US.
    But make sure, I almost got burned once

User Info Menu

8.7% o.O I wish we had the same here.... Here we have 30% (VATS + Duty + customs clearance costs) on everything outside the EU. I paid 480 Euros to the government when my Yunzhi got shipped to Hungary...

User Info Menu

I have bought many guitars from Japan and have never paid an import duty. That includes a new $1700 archtop guitar I bought just a couple of months ago.

But maybe I'm lucky. I think it would be best to expect to pay the tax and figure that into your buying decision.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrblues
    my Yunzhi got shipped to Hungary...
    I am in the process of buying a Yunzhi and getting it into England, how did your guitar end up in Hungary? Anything that I should check with the Yunzhi delivery schedule?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nbevan3
    I am in the process of buying a Yunzhi and getting it into England, how did your guitar end up in Hungary?
    He lives there. Top right corner of each post shows the poster's location, if (s)he has entered it in the forum profile. His shows Hungary.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    He lives there.
    whoops, do I feel stupid!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nbevan3
    I am in the process of buying a Yunzhi and getting it into England, how did your guitar end up in Hungary? Anything that I should check with the Yunzhi delivery schedule?
    Hi nbevan3!

I arrived as it should. There were no problems, the electronics was not on the guitar, but in the case. They dismantled it before shipping. It was in a very good hard shell case, and the case was in a very thick styrofoam package. No worries, it will be just fine .