The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Those of you in the Midwest have likely heard of and probably visited Dave's Guitar Shop. Highly reputable in these parts.

Anyway, this one made me stop and say "WHOA" so sharing the wow factor for anyone looking for a nice Super Eagle. Not sure how the pricing compares, but that back...

'96 Heritage Super Eagle for monster maple fans ,495.00-m20802c_1800x1800-jpg
    '96 Heritage Super Eagle for monster maple fans ,495.00-m20802e_1800x1800-copy-jpg

Super Eagle 96
    – Daves Guitar Shop
    Last edited by daveyisgreat; 12-03-2022 at 06:30 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

A Gibson Super 400C could not be had for that money today. That guitar has some premium wood for sure.

User Info Menu

Quilt maple has a noticeable more mellow tone then flamed.
    Gorgeous.

User Info Menu

looks great but would've been nice if they used a more figured piece of maple for the neck
    I see guitars like this and wonder if they just randomly pick out maple w/ out trying to match to the rest of the guitar or at least something close. Gibson used to do this for years but modern ones are pretty consistent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    looks great but would've been nice if they used a more figured piece of maple for the neck
    I see guitars like this and wonder if they just randomly pick out maple w/ out trying to match to the rest of the guitar or at least something close. Gibson used to do this for years but modern ones are pretty consistent.
    I love that Super Eagle! Dave's photos are not typically the best. Anyone considering purchasing it should request more images. The neck might be from the same quilted maple blank, but the lighting and angle do not show the true figure on the neck. Plus the curl is so wide, there's not much room to show it off due to the relative narrow width of the neck.

My '93 Golden Eagle has similarly dramatic quilt/ribbon curl maple back-sides and neck and the neck figure pops only in certain light.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I think Gitfiddler is on the money in that this neck and back wood are likely from the same lumber.

When Heritage or other manufacturers have a custom order that specifies quilted maple, they order a package with neck wood that matches the back and sides. The wood on this super eagle was not randomly selected, but thoughtfully planned.

The 2 pics I've attached will tell the story as to why it doesn't match the way many would like to see it, but makes perfect sense to the builder.

The pic of the wide face shows the lovely, wide quilted board that will be used for a carved back.

The other pic shows the same board turned on end. Note that it doesn't have nearly the ammount of figure, and that the figure is different with this orientation. This is how they utilized it for the neck.

Quilted figure reveals itself on the flat sawn facet of the lumber. The neck wood on this Heritage is flipped on the quartered facet, laminated and carved.

They do this for a few reasons. They like building necks with qaurtered wood for strength and stability. Secondly, it would take up to 16/4 quilted, flat sawn piece of lumber to make a neck with the same grain orientation as the back. Most suppliers won't offer this even if a builder wanted to go that route.

The lumber for the back, sides, and neck likely all came from the same 4/4 or 5/4 lumber. It's simply that the same wood reveals different figuring with the way its orientated for the back and neck wood of this intrument.
    Attached Images Attached Images '96 Heritage Super Eagle for monster maple fans ,495.00-20221204_175055-jpg '96 Heritage Super Eagle for monster maple fans ,495.00-20221204_175041-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarcarver
    I think Gitfiddler is on the money in that this neck and back wood are likely from the same lumber.

When Heritage or other manufacturers have a custom order that specifies quilted maple, they order a package with neck wood that matches the back and sides. The wood on this super eagle was not randomly selected, but thoughtfully planned.

The 2 pics I've attached will tell the story as to why it doesn't match the way many would like to see it, but makes perfect sense to the builder.

The pic of the wide face shows the lovely, wide quilted board that will be used for a carved back.

The other pic shows the same board turned on end. Note that it doesn't have nearly the ammount of figure, and that the figure is different with this orientation. This is how they utilized it for the neck.

Quilted figure reveals itself on the flat sawn facet of the lumber. The neck wood on this Heritage is flipped on the quartered facet, laminated and carved.

They do this for a few reasons. They like building necks with qaurtered wood for strength and stability. Secondly, it would take up to 16/4 quilted, flat sawn piece of lumber to make a neck with the same grain orientation as the back. Most suppliers won't offer this even if a builder wanted to go that route.

The lumber for the back, sides, and neck likely all came from the same 4/4 or 5/4 lumber. It's simply that the same wood reveals different figuring with the way its orientated for the back and neck wood of this intrument.
    Maybe on this particular guitar but I'm not a fan of quilted maple for necks, doesn't really show up very well in the end unless it's very tight figuring. But I've seen a zillion guitars w outrageous maple used for back sides or neck but nearly zero for the other components.
    Gibson seems to have corrected that w their post 80s guitars.

User Info Menu

I know what you mean. My L5 from the early 2000's is not lacking figure anywhere. They really do a good job . I have noticed that Gibson will commonly use flat sawn curly maple for the sides with well quartered backs and necks. They probably have less issues bending the flat sawn sides.

User Info Menu

An extraordinary presentation grade instrument from Heritage. I don’t see it lasting long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I’m passing on that SE because of its neck woods. Yeah, right!

User Info Menu

And it's sold. No surprise, what a stunning instrument.

User Info Menu

I’ve had great service with the two purchases I’ve done from Dave’s everyone always eager to answer questions etc.

User Info Menu

I'll say it once, I'll say it again...The folks at Parsons St. sure do know how to shade a burst.

User Info Menu

This looks like and fantastic instrument. Would be cool do do a side by side comparison to an acoustic super 400 from same year. Any takers on which would sound better?

User Info Menu

Gone!