The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

Hi all. I purchased this a few months ago for a project. The project is done, and I'm putting the guitar back on the market. In excellent shape. Comes with the original Soloway case. Pics below.

Please note that any little dots you see in the photos are light reflections. There are no blemishes in the finish.

$1750
    $1650
    $1500 shipped CONUS. Will ship elsewhere - shipping cost will depend on destination.

Here are the specs:

Model: Original Swan
    Serial Number: G154
    Weight: 5.80 lbs
    Neck: Maple
    Neck Shape: D
    Fretboard: Maple
    Scale Length: 27"
    Pickup: Single Coil Kent Armstrong SS Hum Cancelling
    Nut Width: 1 11/16"
    Tuners: Locking
    Controls: Volume
    Frets to Body: 16

Finally, here is a video of John Stowell playing this very guitar:

Soloway Swan (27" Scale) - Price Drop - 00-img_20221030_171931749-jpg

Soloway Swan (27" Scale) - Price Drop - 00-img_20221030_171919543-jpg

Soloway Swan (27" Scale) - Price Drop - 00-img_20221030_171907463-jpg

Soloway Swan (27" Scale) - Price Drop - 00-img_20221030_171853478-jpg

Soloway Swan (27" Scale) - Price Drop - 00-img_20221030_171901190-jpg

Soloway Swan (27" Scale) - Price Drop - 00-img_20221030_172005712-jpg

Soloway Swan (27" Scale) - Price Drop - 00-img_20221030_171957580-jpg

Soloway Swan (27" Scale) - Price Drop - 00-img_20221030_172054189-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Soloway Swan (27" Scale) - Price Drop - 00-img_20221030_172030145-jpg 
    Last edited by jcc; 11-12-2022 at 09:53 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I love that little pickguard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I love that little pickguard.
    John insisted on it. He thinks of it as a finger rest and it's basically a part of his playing position.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    John insisted on it. He thinks of it as a finger rest and it's basically a part of his playing position.
    Mine too, that’s why I like it. How thick is it, it’s hard tell.

How thick is it, it’s hard tell.
    I like it too. Comfortable momentary resting spot for the pinky when not in use.

By "thick", do you mean how tall off of the top of the guitar?

Looks like it is 2 mm from the top of the guitar to the top of the finger rest.

bump

bump - price drop to $1650

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jcc
    Looks like it is 2 mm from the top of the guitar to the top of the finger rest.
    Wow, it looks much thicker, maybe because of the bevel.

Wow, it looks much thicker, maybe because of the bevel.
    So sorry... was multi-tasking and didn't check what I (mis)typed...

Make that 10 mm.

bump - price drop to $1500

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jcc
    So sorry... was multi-tasking and didn't check what I (mis)typed...

Make that 10 mm.
    Ah, that's more like it, thanks. Love that early strat burst.

Ah, that's more like it, thanks.
    I went to the guitar and measured it at "10", then walked back to the computer and typed "2". My excuse is I had knee replacement and pain meds were involved.

User Info Menu

does john use baritone guitar tuning?

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I'll see if Jim can answer that. I do not know.

User Info Menu

He had it tuned down by a minor third. So not quite baritone but low enough to be obvious.

I'm unsure of what pickup this guitar has. John get trying different options getting hotter and hotter with each one. It's changed hands a few times since it was John's and I have no idea if his pickup choice remains. His taste in pickups and mine are definitely not the same.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    He had it tuned down by a minor third. So not quite baritone but low enough to be obvious.

I'm unsure of what pickup this guitar has. John get trying different options getting hotter and hotter with each one. It's changed hands a few times since it was John's and I have no idea if his pickup choice remains. His taste in pickups and mine are definitely not the same.
    i read recently that he's using .038 - .010 strings on his guitars now. I assume they are standard scale. If this guitar had a humbucker in the neck I'd probably jump on it but I'm not sure I want to deal with the single coil size pickup for what I do. The only one I've found that works (for me) is the barden and a while back they went out of business so when one of the pickups failed in my tele, I had to get it rewound locally.

[edit] - it seems that barden is back in business now...Not sure if the new owner is making them exactly the way the originals were made. Back when I had the bad one, I bought a fralin hum canceling split blade but found it to be think sounding compared to the barden...

User Info Menu

i read recently that he's using .038 - .010 strings on his guitars now. I assume they are standard scale. If this guitar had a humbucker in the neck I'd probably jump on it but I'm not sure I want to deal with the single coil size pickup for what I do. The only one I've found that works (for me) is the barden and a while back they went out of business so when one of the pickups failed in my tele, I had to get it rewound locally.

[edit] - it seems that barden is back in business now...Not sure if the new owner is making them exactly the way the originals were made. Back when I had the bad one, I bought a fralin hum canceling split blade but found it to be think sounding compared to the barden...
    The Bardens are absolutely unique. Lindy is thinking in terms of Fender single coils without noise. Barden was thinking something entirely different ... much more three dimensional. I like both buth they certainly aren't interchangeable.

bump

bump

bump

bump

bump

User Info Menu

Jim, I always thought your extended "S" Soloway logo was very elegant and to the point. Whoever designed that deserves a hand.

User Info Menu

Jim, I always thought your extended "S" Soloway logo was very elegant and to the point. Whoever designed that deserves a hand.
    Thanks. I designed the basics of it and then had a calligrapher draw me a bunch based on my design and picked the best of her bunch. If you look at our the various design elements of our early guitars you'll see the logo repeated in several places in the lines of the guitar.