The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

1991 Gibson Custom Shop L-5C Prototype One Of A Kind NAMM | Reverb

Or at least think about it seriously, then talk myself out of it.

AKA

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Beautiful! Just needs a floating pu. Light weight, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charleyrich99
    Beautiful! Just needs a floating pu. Light weight, too.
    Maybe a state-of-the-art piezo hidden from view.?

User Info Menu

Beautiful L-5C, but that pickguard might put an eye out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA

Or at least think about it seriously, then talk myself out of it.

AKA
    How did you overcome GAS? (serious question)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Or cut your arm open on the up stroke.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Or cut your arm open on the up stroke.
    Yep - It has it all! Looks, heritage, light weight, and an air of danger!!

AKA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    I retired, and that has left me with lots of time to really get to know the instruments I have. (Well, I did buy a beautiful ‘96 PRS McCarty a couple of weeks ago, but that’s different - right?)
    Attached Images Attached Images If I Hadn’t Overcome GAS I’d Buy This L5-0ea40ea3-f555-4323-9be3-5ecbf6383496-jpeg If I Hadn’t Overcome GAS I’d Buy This L5-9ebb5531-61e9-4b7e-85a5-d91233e58908-jpeg 

User Info Menu

I retired, and that has left me with lots of time to really get to know the instruments I have. (Well, I did buy a beautiful ‘96 PRS McCarty a couple of weeks ago, but that’s different - right?)
    Interesting, as I have found the same thing:

when I am so busy I have little time to play, my eye wanders to gear online, almost as if I'm getting a "quick fix" of an addiction.

But when I am home (mostly ALONE) and have TIME to play alot, my focus really hones in on the gear I love... it's like, by not playing it alot, I forget what I'm REALLY looking for loving, and my eye wanders... but give me quality time with all of it, and I can pretty quickly tell you what would HAVE to stay if I had to thin the heard considerably.

Interesting.

User Info Menu

Well, not feeling it for the Trini Lopez soundholes and metallic Pelham Blue finish. I think I will pass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    I too wonder if anyone gets beyond it. I think I'm almost there, only so much to look at now, after excessive buy and sell.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Well, not feeling it for the Trini Lopez soundholes and metallic Pelham Blue finish. I think I will pass.
    Well, I didn’t want to be the first but that's one ugly L-5 imo
    Last edited by wintermoon; 08-15-2022 at 08:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Well, I didn’t want to be the first but that's one ugly L-5 imo
    Did you try squinting just a bit?

User Info Menu

Did you try squinting just a bit?
    It's so ugly I could tell w my eyes closed

User Info Menu

I retired, and that has left me with lots of time to really get to know the instruments I have.
    My experience has been different. I found myself with more expendable income than I had ever had. Much of my salary went into the IRA, and after I retired I found that we had more money available than we had when I was working. The only guitars I had while working were a couple I bought while still single in the military, plus one my sister gifted to me. After retirement, that number exploded. I think I have almost enough now, but maybe just one more...

User Info Menu

Or at least think about it seriously, then talk myself out of it. - AKA
    Triggs was intrigued by this design.
    Attached Images Attached Images If I Hadn’t Overcome GAS I’d Buy This L5-triggs-bluediamond-03-1-jpg 

User Info Menu

Maybe it was Trigg's original idea and he couldn't let it go?

I like Bauhaus. I like mid-century. But can't say I care for this design on an L5. But there is a lot to be said for designs that are divisive.

As for GAS, I manage it fine until the next guitar I can't resist comes along.

User Info Menu

I like it ... but at $10K I can think of things I like more ..

I would love to grab this Gibson Shark:

Gibson Custom Shop L-5 Non-Cutaway Carved Shark #1 2013 | Reverb

But it's $13K .... and I would need some guidance on dealing with a Japanese vendor. Maybe if one shows up stateside it would be cheaper.

And I need to recover from my most recent purchase anyways.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    I like it ... but at $10K I can think of things I like more ..

I would love to grab this Gibson Shark:

Gibson Custom Shop L-5 Non-Cutaway Carved Shark #1 2013 | Reverb

But it's $13K .... and I would need some guidance on dealing with a Japanese vendor. Maybe if one shows up stateside it would be cheaper.

And I need to recover from my most recent purchase anyways.
    I've had my eye on the Shark as well. I reached out to the seller twice for more info and an audio/ video.......and no response. Also, the price has been fluctuating between 13k and 17k. Without trying to sound prejudice, there seems to be an ongoing challenge getting concise information from some Asian sellers. Maybe it's the time zone , or language conversion......not sure. But I haven't had similar communication issues with any of the European dealers.

Some people have had good success from the more reputable dealers, but exercising caution cannot be overstated.

On the bright side, I did have very good communication recently from a small dealer in Bejing, who advertises on Instagram. Unfortunately, the shipping was cost prohibitive, and would have increased the value of the guitar beyond its market value.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by QAman; 08-17-2022 at 04:09 AM.

User Info Menu

What do you do if you want a wound G? Get a different bridge?

User Info Menu

your post clearly shows you definitely had not ovecome GAS, it is just in a sleeping phase. It will be back in full strength :-)