The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Gorgeous!

User Info Menu

I have revised my earlier post: Super V’s were typically offered in two versions: CES (double humbucker) and BJB (single floating pickup). I originally posted that I believed this guitar had been modified, but additional information has been added to the listing explaining the non-standard single pickup configuration. The label says “Super V BJB”. would normally be a fully acoustic Super V with a BJB (floating) pickup, but the seller has said it was a custom one-off order with a single humbucker.
    Keith
    Last edited by floatingpickup; 08-15-2022 at 07:08 AM. Reason: New information

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    That guitar has been modified. If you look at the label, it says “Super V BJB”. That would indicate that it was originally a fully acoustic Super V with a BJB (floating) pickup. The seller goes on and on about not selling guitars with any issues unless stated, yet he does not mention this significant modification and refers to the built-in humbucker as a “factory pickup”. I guess there is a chance that the modification was done at the Gibson factory at some point in the guitar’s life, but that doesn’t really make it ok to call it a factory pickup. Any potential buyer should be careful on this one and ensure the modification did not damage the braces etc.
    Keith
    Agreed. I have the 2 pickup model and I’ve seen the one floating pickup model but this is the first time I’ve seen a Super V with one inset pickup. Suspicious.

User Info Menu

Other than the issues this one might have, what are you thoughts on this model in general?

Agree. It looks like the pu is a wee bit crooked, slanting down to the right. That's not to say it wasn't done properly.

User Info Menu

Here is the contact site to ask questions.
    Play It Again Music LLC

It's hard to tell what the full story is. Gibson has put the wrong label in guitars before. Also, it may be a custom variant of the BJB, meaning it was ordered with a single mounted pickup.

The dealer looks to be well experienced. He likely would be happy to answer any questions.

Here's a pic from his Facebook.

For those who want a Super 400 without the big 18" body.-296984808_6088063747875960_6412870710068388332_n-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charleyrich99
    Other than the issues this one might have, what are you thoughts on this model in general?
    Given the issue I would avoid and frankly a real Wes L5 would be a better guitar all the way around, including the out clause if you want to sell it down the line.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Given the issue I would avoid and frankly a real Wes L5 would be a better guitar all the way around, including the out clause if you want to sell it down the line.

I thought this one would have sold by now. Another new Wes on Reverb for $22k. Ouch.

2021 Gibson Custom Shop Wes Montgomery L-5 - Crimson Series, | Reverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomvwash
    I thought this one would have sold by now. Another new Wes on Reverb for $22k. Ouch.

2021 Gibson Custom Shop Wes Montgomery L-5 - Crimson Series, | Reverb
    This one is $9499 which seems reasonable by comparison...How do the new ones sound?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charleyrich99
    I have owned a 1980 Super V that I bought in 1981 and it’s still going strong. I have nothing bad to say about it. This particular guitar looks to be in excellent condition. I would, however, like to know the story about the pickup.

User Info Menu

For those who want a Super 400 without the big 18" body.-super-v-bjb-front-jpg

For those who want a Super 400 without the big 18" body.-super-v-ces-front-jpg

For those who want a Super 400 without the big 18" body.-super-v-cesn-front-2-jpg

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by setemupjoe
    Agreed. I have the 2 pickup model and I’ve seen the one floating pickup model but this is the first time I’ve seen a Super V with one inset pickup. Suspicious.
    The only other single built-in pickup Super V that I have ever seen, was a modified BJB version. I’m sure this one is the same situation. Having said that, it looks great and if the braces haven’t been affected by the modification, it could be a very nice guitar (at the right price).
    Keith

I just noticed he states in the listing that the "humbucker is factory."

From the listing:

"The original owner was a Gibson dealer for over 50 years in Illinois and had many 1of1 Gibson guitars made for him over the years. This guitar is 100% factory and has never been modified or altered, the humbucker is factory!"

In this pic the pickup looks perfectly straight. Maybe the first pic had a funky camera angle.

Last edited by Woody Sound; 08-15-2022 at 06:46 AM.

I really prefer the look of the S-V neck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    From the listing:

"The original owner was a Gibson dealer for over 50 years in Illinois and had many 1of1 Gibson guitars made for him over the years. This guitar is 100% factory and has never been modified or altered, the humbucker is factory!"

In this pic the pickup looks perfectly straight. Maybe the first pic had a funky camera angle.
    I don’t recall seeing that important information in the original listing. Perhaps I just didn’t notice it, or it may have been added to the listing to explain the unusual configuration. If this was a one-off custom order with a single built-in humbucker, it would be a very attractive guitar.
    Keith
    Last edited by floatingpickup; 08-15-2022 at 08:05 AM.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Bruce Bolen (BJB) later went to work for Fender.

Last edited by Woody Sound; 08-15-2022 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    I don’t recall seeing that important information in the original listing. Perhaps I just didn’t notice it, or it may have been added to the listing to explain the unusual configuration.
    It makes me wonder if the seller reads here.

User Info Menu

. . . frankly a real Wes L5 would be a better guitar all the way around . . .
    Some probably are.
    Some almost certainly aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I really prefer the look of the S-V neck.
    Ohhhh yeah.