The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Hey there,

    just found this add. First time I see a 2 PU ES-300. I had to check in my books to see if it was factory designed, and yes, Gibson did this model for a short period of time. Scratched SN on the label, so might have been stolen at some point, who knows...

    Gibson ES-300 1946 - 1956 | Reverb

    No personal interest. For the price, I would take an ES-350

    Best and take care.
    Last edited by Fred Archtop; 08-09-2022 at 06:21 PM.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Just curious,
    it looks like in this or other cases that no one cares about CITES certificate for the braz. rosewood fretboard...

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote61
    Just curious,
    it looks like in this or other cases that no one cares about CITES certificate for the braz. rosewood fretboard...
    Only if you cross borders. That one is in France. So, shipping in EU countries would be fine.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Only if you cross borders. That one is in France. So, shipping in EU countries would be fine.
    No, a CITES certificate is also required for any sale. Independent if you cross borders or not.
    This is because any trading of braz rosewood is not permitted any more acc. to CITES. The CITES certificate works as an exemption from that ban.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Its nice to look at anyway....but for the money asked (or less), I'd rather have an ES-350 too!

    That said, I have a single pickup ES-300 from 1950 that's a great guitar.
    Probably fine to stop right there.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    I have a 1950 Gibson ES-300 with two P90s. I've had it over 20 years, but I may be selling it in the next few months (for much less than this one on Reverb). Send me a message if you may be interested and I'll keep you in the loop (I may consider some trades/partial trades as well).

    Rare ES-300, 2 PU, on Reverb-1950_gibson_es-300_01-jpgRare ES-300, 2 PU, on Reverb-1950_gibson_es-300_02-jpg

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by dunhamdolomite
    I have a 1950 Gibson ES-300 with two P90s. I've had it over 20 years, but I may be selling it in the next few months (for much less than this one on Reverb). Send me a message if you may be interested and I'll keep you in the loop (I may consider some trades/partial trades as well).

    Rare ES-300, 2 PU, on Reverb-1950_gibson_es-300_01-jpgRare ES-300, 2 PU, on Reverb-1950_gibson_es-300_02-jpg
    Gorgeous! Just wow...

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    " Scratched SN on the label, so might have been stolen at some point, who knows..." Fred Archtop

    Hi, F,
    What does SN mean?
    Marinero

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Hi M,
    I'm not Fred, but SN means "serial number".

    Certainly a beautiful guitar!
    Right about that time Gibson had the most gorgeous sunbursts on those ES-300's and 350's.
    If I wasn't downsizing the guitar group due to a newly found "need vs want" focus and my recent resurgent bass clarinet affliction I'd ask to be put on the list.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote61
    No, a CITES certificate is also required for any sale. Independent if you cross borders or not.
    This is because any trading of braz rosewood is not permitted any more acc. to CITES. The CITES certificate works as an exemption from that ban.
    This isn’t true. There is an exemption for musical instruments that went into effect in November 2019.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    This isn’t true. There is an exemption for musical instruments that went into effect in November 2019.
    I am not aware of that. I know that it was discussed in the past to get such an exemption due to the relative low mass of rosewood used for guitars. Do you have a link to this exemption?
    This would be helpful. Thx.

    What I know is the exemption for instruments with parts of braz rosewood built built before 1947 because they are treated as antiques.
    And a general exemption for instruments with parts of other palisander woods which are in CITES II, effective since 2019.
    Last edited by bluenote61; 08-11-2022 at 02:57 AM.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote61
    I am not aware of that. I know that it was discussed in the past to get such an exemption due to the relative low mass of rosewood used for guitars. Do you have a link to this exemption?
    This would be helpful. Thx.

    What I know is the exemption for instruments with parts of braz rosewood built built before 1947 because they are treated as antiques.
    And a general exemption for instruments with parts of other palisander woods which are in CITES II, effective since 2019.
    From the CITES website: “Parties demonstrated once again their shared spirit to find solutions for the most effective implementation of the Convention’s regulations, and as a result they have agreed to exempt rosewood musical instruments.”

    Source:
    Music to your ears: CITES CoP18 moves towards strengthened regulations for tropical trees, as well as cautious exemptions for rosewood musical instruments | CITES






  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    From the CITES website: “Parties demonstrated once again their shared spirit to find solutions for the most effective implementation of the Convention’s regulations, and as a result they have agreed to exempt rosewood musical instruments.”

    Source:
    Music to your ears: CITES CoP18 moves towards strengthened regulations for tropical trees, as well as cautious exemptions for rosewood musical instruments | CITES

    Thx for sharing.
    I stepped into the regulations. To my understanding the a.m. sentence is related to rosewood specimen ("Dalbergia spp.") as per App. II of CITES only:

    /Quote
    Dalbergia spp.#15 (Except for the species listed in Appendix I)
    /Quote

    Annotation #15 specifies the exemption for musical instruments.
    Braz. Rosewood is Dalbergia nigra and listed in App. I.
    Hence, I would still be careful with selling guitars with parts made of Brazilian Rosewood on the internet. Also people in authorities like customs know ebay and how to make a google search...
    Last edited by bluenote61; 08-11-2022 at 08:50 AM.