The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 87

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    Hope your hand gets better soon, Steve!!
    Amen to that !

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Vinny,
    Here is a pic from Rogers shop on 9/26. I believe one of these is yours based on my visit in July. Roger is dealing with a lot right now. He has to move and recently dealt with a computer hack which took him weeks to straighten out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He has to move his shop, or he has to move his residence?
    Last time I spoke to him I told him I was playing a big concert and using one of the two Borys guitars I have. He never showed up, and didn't call.
    He lives in Jersey, but he goes to a lot of clubs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Amen to that !
    Thanks Vinny !

User Info Menu

Hope your hand gets better soon, Steve!!
    Michael - thanks , it’s a painful experience.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MisterEmLove
    So what is the best way to get in touch with Roger Borys about building a guitar, prices, specs, etc. I reached out a while ago but never heard back. I decided to go with a custom Victor Baker guitar, but that didn't work out. I'm back to pursuing a Borys. Just sent another message though his website. Is that the way others are reaching him. Is is still about a 9 month wait?
    One thing that I would think might help to someone looking to get a Borys build. You really have to think of ordering a guitar from Roger a lot like ordering a guitar from Gibson or another major factory. I think a lot of the rub with Roger, comes from the fact that people ordering from a private builder can dictate every detail, and get the guitar built just for them and talk about it during the build. With many builders that may be true. If you ordered from Gibson once you placed the order on one of their "standard" models there would be little to no communication with them along the way until it was complete. Roger is pretty deeply rooted in to his models and doesn't stray far from his standard specs. He feels that combo is the bang on best. He offers very few variations of his models that he's comfortable with. If you have seen it in photos of some of his past builds, he will probably do it. He views his builds as sound First, aesthetics a distant second. His builds are highly regarded by many pro players and there is a reason for that, and it's not because they have the best shine. As for the wait time he like most other builders, builds in groups so it's really going to depend on when you contact him and where he's at with turning over a previous group. I'd ballpark 10 months as the the turnaround time plus the time from the previous group. I would contact him thru the web and keep your note down to the model your interested in. Roger can be unresponsive but he does listen and does do what he says. It may be a different mind set but totally worth it IMO.

User Info Menu

Well said Skiboyny. Currently, Roger has a blonde carved guitar with a period DeArmond available and it's sounds great. I played it during my recent vist. I think it was 9 or 10k - and an in-person cash purchase always helps with the final price.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Roger Borys is 69. Mark Campellone is 68. If one of those guitars is needed in your stable I would get on the waiting list now.
    A very solid investment too especially when they stop making them.

Roger has a direct lineage to D’Aquisto and Mark builds the ultimate
    1950’s L-5.

User Info Menu

Roger Borys is 69. Mark Campellone is 68. If one of those guitars is needed in your stable I would get on the waiting list now.
    A very solid investment too especially when they stop making them.

Roger has a direct lineage to D’Aquisto and Mark builds the ultimate
    1950’s L-5.
    Thats why I own 3, and might pick up another as they become available. You can imagine what the gap in production will be with both a resident and shop move.

I'll keep everyone posted on immediate availability. There are times when a client cannot take delivery, and waits for another batch. When this happens, that instrument becomes available, and I'm usually contacted.

User Info Menu

Steve,

Hope the hand improves quickly. My wife has a Therabath hot paraffin therapy bath that really relaxes and relieves aches and pains in the hands. It's helpful when my hands get stiff and sore. You dip your hands into this warm pot of soft wax several times to coat them and then peel off the wax when it cools down. Works wonders. That and some pain relief.

I love the sound of 13-56's, but am mixing it up some with 12-52's on some guitars lately to help also.

Cheers,

Steve

User Info Menu

Hi Steve.
    Thanks for the kind thoughtful words - greatly appreciated. I did see a surgeon , and of course he wanted to give me cortisone shorts, but I practice a natural approach to health care, so I’ve been doing heat like you describe, and light stretching - then back in a splint. When you damage tendons , it takes about 8 weeks to heal.

I injured it staining my deck and closing paint can lids with my thumb - instead of using a hammer. Just stupidity on my part.

Just part of aging-and we have to adjust.

On top of that, I just contracted COVID. We had a small out break in work, but so far my symptoms are like seasonal allergies. In fact , I tested as a precaution and was surprised to see I was positive. Just a slight speed bump in life.

I used to play 13’s many years ago, then switched to 12’s.

Great to hear from you

Steve

User Info Menu

Hi Steve.
    Thanks for the kind thoughtful words - greatly appreciated. I did see a surgeon , and of course he wanted to give me cortisone shorts, but I practice a natural approach to health care, so I’ve been doing heat like you describe, and light stretching - then back in a splint. When you damage tendons , it takes about 8 weeks to heal.

I injured it staining my deck and closing paint can lids with my thumb - instead of using a hammer. Just stupidity on my part.

On top of that, I just contracted COVID. We had a small out break in work, but so far my symptoms are like seasonal allergies. In fact , I tested as a precaution and was surprised to see I was positive. Just a slight speed bump in life.

Great to hear from you

Steve

Sorry to hear about the COVID on top of the hands. Hope you get well soon.
    You mentioned that RB was moving; were you talking about his shop or his residence?
    I remember he was renting from Paul Meyers in Jersey City.
    I bought my two Borys guitars used, because I can't take waiting for a new order, and I get a better deal. Up to the pandemic, Roger would do all the work on my D'A and two Borys guitars. H e works incredibly fast, one time he put new frets on my B-120 while he was talking with me, in about a half hour!

User Info Menu

Sgcim,
    Thanks for the well wishes - much appreciated. Roger currently has a 20 min walk to his shop, so not quite sure if it still in Hoboken.

He was telling me he wants to move about an hour north, so it’s not too far for the city players.

The thought of moving all his equipment is overwhelming. From what I understood, he wants to also move the residence as well, but that could likely change.

User Info Menu

QA, stay strong buddy.
    Sorry to see this. You will power through this. Watch.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    QA, stay strong buddy.
    Sorry to see this. You will power through this. Watch.
    JD
    Thanks for the words of encouragement Joe - very much appreciated.

User Info Menu

Hi Steve.

Great to hear from you

Steve

Sorry about the COVID. Sounds like you should be fine. Take care, my friend!

Thank you. I will wait to see if I hear back from him. I do like the customizable options many builders offer. That was the issue with my most recent Victor Baker guitar. He agreed to specific specs, but missed them in the final guitar. He agreed to a return, but it was not an easy arrangement to make with him. However, for a Borys, I will not be as picky about all the details. The thing with VB is he agreed to do it and didn't. Too bad. It's back up for sale if anyone is interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Sorry about the COVID. Sounds like you should be fine. Take care, my friend!
    Thanks Michael. Symptoms thus far are equivalent to seasonal allergies.

User Info Menu

Thank you. I will wait to see if I hear back from him. I do like the customizable options many builders offer. That was the issue with my most recent Victor Baker guitar. He agreed to specific specs, but missed them in the final guitar. He agreed to a return, but it was not an easy arrangement to make with him. However, for a Borys, I will not be as picky about all the details. The thing with VB is he agreed to do it and didn't. Too bad. It's back up for sale if anyone is interested.
    Interesting, VB is usually pretty easy to work with, what didint get done? looks like a nice 335 copy

Back binding, F hole binding, headstock binding. Almost the perfect looking guitar for me This would have been my third VB. My first, in 2009, never had a great neck. My second (tobacco burst), a couple years ago, is the best guitar I have ever owned.
    Attached Images Attached Images Borys B120 on Reverb-vb-1-jpg Borys B120 on Reverb-vb-2-jpg 

User Info Menu

Back binding, F hole binding, headstock binding. Almost the perfect looking guitar for me This would have been my third VB. My first, in 2009, never had a great neck. My second (tobacco burst), a couple years ago, is the best guitar I have ever owned.
    Ahhh gottcha...you do have some nice VBs! so you have worked with him before...here is mine

Oh, yes, I have seen that one before.....or an almost exact match. Cool. Yes, I have worked with VB. A friend of mine had similar issues with specs not being done correctly. VB is done with me. I'm done with him, too. Makes some great instruments, but he basically said he couldn't refund me until he sells the guitar again. Not how I do business. We eventually worked something out. Should be all good. Now I'm after a Borys......

User Info Menu

When it comes to fantastic customer service nobody beats
    Mark Campellone IMO.

User Info Menu

When it comes to fantastic customer service nobody beats
    Mark Campellone IMO.
    This is very true! Mark helped me when it mattered most, offering suggestions at important points along the way! Although, now I'm going to need a therapist because I'm addicted, to playing my new guitar! What a problem, yes? Fantastic customer service AND exceptional guitars! I'm a fanboy!

Cheers my friend.

I'll check his work out a bit more. Any idea on lead times?

User Info Menu

Well said Skiboyny. Currently, Roger has a blonde carved guitar with a period DeArmond available and it's sounds great. I played it during my recent vist. I think it was 9 or 10k - and an in-person cash purchase always helps with the final price.
    Steve, is this the one?
    Borys B120 on Reverb-borys-jpg