The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 87

User Info Menu

[I heard from the Seller -- he has some life stuff to take care of, and took both guitars down for now; they'll be back for sale soon.]

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow, inflation is hitting the guitar market too! I bought my B120 used just a few years ago for $4,500!
    Not that this one's not worth every penny, it is...

Cheers,
    Arnie..

User Info Menu

Funny I’m also in the same batch!
    Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Ha! Listing is back at $6K.

Used one's don't show up very often. I looked for about a year and then decided my time would be better spent on Roger's wait list. I'm in the same batch as Vin. Ordered in January.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    Funny I’m also in the same batch!
    Nice! Seems we have something of a buyer's club going here.

The rest of us will expect updates (with pictures) when they arrive.

User Info Menu

Considering a Sadowsky Jim Hall is around the same price, I'd take the Borys.

User Info Menu

I paid $4800 each for my two directly from Roger. Not so fast. I supplied my own Hiscox cases and Jescar 47104EVO Gold wires and Roger took $400 off in total.

I waited two years for my order. Roger delivered them on time. One was supposed to be a Jimmy Wyble model but I received a B120 instead. It didn't matter to me as I like the B120, too. I think Roger either got the order mixed up or some jazz cat more important than I ordered the B120, saw my Jimmy Wyble with the 25" scale length and swapped his guitar for mine instead. I surmise it is the latter. Roger sent me a blurry photo.Borys B120 on Reverb-img_2980-1-1-jpg The other one is a B120 17 Custom, much like Tony Dicaprio's.Borys B120 on Reverb-img_2993-1-jpg

I like Roger's relic-ked/hammered patina on the tailpiece. Roger offers it polished and brand spanking new too. Let him know beforehand that you want a clear-coated shiny tailpiece. I got goldplated covers for the Kent Armstrong pickups.

I bought a used Borys B120 once owned by a lady jazz guitarist from Shelby, Vermont. It has a cardinal inlaid in the peghead by Chip Wilson. I never found out who the lady guitarist was because I bought it from someone in Toronto who had bought it off ebay from a fellow who was handling the sale for her. Whoever she is I hope she is OK.

Lark Street had a 7-string Borys B120 that was asking for $4100. Have often wished I bought that one, too.

$6000 is a'ight for a Borys laminate top. The laminated MIJ Sadowskies and MIA Benedettos are already in that range. A Benedetto Bambino Deluxe is $6500!

P.S. My guitars are in storage so I can't shoot my own photos. I rotate my guitars and draw them out from storage when I need them. Some get played a lot more than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I paid $4800 each for my two directly from Roger. Not so fast. I supplied my own Hiscox cases and Jescar 47104EVO Gold wires and Roger took $400 off in total.

I waited two years for my order. Roger delivered them on time. One was supposed to be a Jimmy Wyble model but I received a B120 instead. It didn't matter to me as I like the B120, too. I think Roger either got the order mixed up or some jazz cat more important than I ordered the B120, saw my Jimmy Wyble with the 25" scale length and swapped his guitar for mine instead. I surmise it is the latter. Roger sent me a blurry photo.Borys B120 on Reverb-img_2980-1-1-jpg The other one is a B120 17 Custom, much like Tony Dicaprio's.Borys B120 on Reverb-img_2993-1-jpg

I like Roger's relic-ked/hammered patina on the tailpiece. Roger offers it polished and brand spanking new too. Let him know beforehand that you want a clear-coated shiny tailpiece. I got goldplated covers for the Kent Armstrong pickups.

I bought a used Borys B120 once owned by a lady jazz guitarist from Shelby, Vermont. It has a cardinal inlaid in the peghead by Chip Wilson. I never found out who the lady guitarist was because I bought it from someone in Toronto who had bought it off ebay from a fellow who was handling the sale for her. Whoever she is I hope she is OK.

Lark Street had a 7-string Borys B120 that was asking for $4100. Have often wished I bought that one, too.

$6000 is a'ight for a Borys laminate top. The laminated MIJ Sadowskies and MIA Benedettos are already in that range. A Benedetto Bambino Deluxe is $6500!

P.S. My guitars are in storage so I can't shoot my own photos. I rotate my guitars and draw them out from storage when I need them. Some get played a lot more than others.
    The top B120 is really nice looking, but I’m not sure I’d feel great about ordering one guitar and getting a totally different guitar instead. However, if you were/are happy with it, then I suppose it all worked out!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JakePearlman
    The top B120 is really nice looking, but I’m not sure I’d feel great about ordering one guitar and getting a totally different guitar instead. However, if you were/are happy with it, then I suppose it all worked out!
    I got over it. I would have ordered a B120 16 eventually. I know that it is a tough business to be in and that an unsold guitar could really hurt the small businessman. It is a fine guitar anyway. The B120 is probably easier to resell than the Jimmy Wyble. The B120 has the deeper cutaway and shorter body. I try not to let these things upset me. All I had to do was to change my own expectations to suit the new situation. I bought a new guitar in 2013. Somebody had played it and left scratch marks and two dings in the top by the volume and tone knobs. The dealer didn't know about them when he sold it to me. He told me to return it. I would have put those marks on myself through playing it in time so instead of getting mad I shrugged and carried on instead of getting bothered by the marks.

I tried ordering a Jimmy Wyble later on to get the one I didn't receive but Roger wouldn't answer my emails any longer. I get only crickets henceforth.

I was madly in love with this woman who was lukewarm towards me. She was happy with just being friends. Well, one day, I met her and one of her best friends from the military (yeah, I dated women who once wore combat boots). She was even prettier in my eyes than my pretty friend. We hit it off instantly and became an item.

Sometimes not getting what you think you want may reward you with something or some person better than what you think you want.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I got over it. I would have ordered a B120 16 eventually. I know that it is a tough business to be in and that an unsold guitar could really hurt the small businessman. It is a fine guitar anyway. The B120 is probably easier to resell than the Jimmy Wyble. The B120 has the deeper cutaway and shorter body. I try not to let these things upset me. All I had to do was to change my own expectations to suit the new situation. I bought a new guitar in 2013. Somebody had played it and left scratch marks and two dings in the top by the volume and tone knobs. The dealer didn't know about them when he sold it to me. He told me to return it. I would have put those marks on myself through playing it in time so instead of getting mad I shrugged and carried on instead of getting bothered by the marks.

I tried ordering a Jimmy Wyble later on to get the one I didn't receive but Roger wouldn't answer my emails any longer. I get only crickets henceforth.

I was madly in love with this woman who was lukewarm towards me. She was happy with just being friends. Well, one day, I met her and one of her best friends from the military (yeah, I dated women who once wore combat boots). She was even prettier in my eyes than my pretty friend. We hit it off instantly and became an item.

Sometimes not getting what you think you want may reward you with something or some person better than what you think you want.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.
    Sounds like a good way to meet life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohanAbrandt
    Sounds like a good way to meet life
    Yes, he’s definitely got that Bruce Lee “flow” thing going on. You rule J-Dub!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    As he should! $5.5K for the current batch due in Oct/Nov. I'd guess the next will be about the Reverb asking price.
    Any idea what he charges for the all carved Special?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charleyrich99
    Any idea what he charges for the all carved Special?
    Roger's hand carved specials are 10k.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

This one is currently available
    Last edited by QAman; 07-19-2022 at 02:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's my current Borys B-120 - actually it's technically a BG-100 which preceded the BG-120 - formerly owned by John Collins who played with Nat King Cole ...
    Attached Images Attached Images Borys B120 on Reverb-b-120-png 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arnie65
    Wow, inflation is hitting the guitar market too! I bought my B120 used just a few years ago for $4,500!
    True. I paid around $2800 for my mint Sadowsky JB archtop several years ago. It's been my main jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Roger's hand carved specials are 10k.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

This one is currently available
    I played one of those things once. IMHO, it's the closest thing to playing a REAL D'Angelico and/or D'Aquisto in this lifetime.

So what is the best way to get in touch with Roger Borys about building a guitar, prices, specs, etc. I reached out a while ago but never heard back. I decided to go with a custom Victor Baker guitar, but that didn't work out. I'm back to pursuing a Borys. Just sent another message though his website. Is that the way others are reaching him. Is is still about a 9 month wait?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MisterEmLove
    So what is the best way to get in touch with Roger Borys about building a guitar, prices, specs, etc. I reached out a while ago but never heard back. I decided to go with a custom Victor Baker guitar, but that didn't work out. I'm back to pursuing a Borys. Just sent another message though his website. Is that the way others are reaching him. Is is still about a 9 month wait?
    908 239-8585. Tell him the guy with his father's Snakehead D'A sent you.

User Info Menu

I ordered a guitar from him last January. I paid my deposit and he told me this November. He hasn't answered a email since.
    He did offer me a cancelled guitar a few months back but it wasn't what I want. LOL....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I ordered a guitar from him last January. I paid my deposit and he told me this November. He hasn't answered a email since.
    He did offer me a cancelled guitar a few months back but it wasn't what I want. LOL....
    Vinny,
    Here is a pic from Rogers shop on 9/26. I believe one of these is yours based on my visit in July. Roger is dealing with a lot right now. He has to move and recently dealt with a computer hack which took him weeks to straighten out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

WOW ! Sweet Steve. Thanks buddy. I know it will be a great guitar. My point is Roger doesn't communicate much. It's just his way.
    I know I will love it and it will be a whopper.

User Info Menu

I emailed him mid Nov last year. He got back to me in 2 weeks. I replied, saying I want to get underway. He replied and told me what to do. He asked for 1/4 depo, 1/4 progress, & the rest on completion. My depo was paid mid December. He told me Oct/Nov.

End of July he sent me a pic of the neck and body un-married and said it'd be a good time to pay the progress draw. Did that.

I called him end Aug around 5:00 EST, and he answered! We had a nice chat about some details. I enjoyed talking to him. He said answering the phone is a good excuse to get off his feet, so I'm thinking it works best towards the end of his day.

I think maybe Vin's about due for the progress draw request, unless he has a diff payment setup.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info and pics Q'Aman! That blonde could be me. He did say he would be spraying in a few weeks when I spoke to him, so that lines up nicely

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    WOW ! Sweet Steve. Thanks buddy. I know it will be a great guitar. My point is Roger doesn't communicate much. It's just his way.
    I know I will love it and it will be a whopper.
    Your point about the minimal communication is quite true. It’s just how he is , he’s a very quite guy and limits his communication - even with close friends - but he will deliver as promised.

I’ve known him for a while and we get along great- but I understand and respect his need to go radio silent at times. If you ever get the chance to hang out with him - you would find that he’s a real nice guy - and always offers to help out with my guitar needs.

When it comes to the tone of his laminates - it’s hard to beat. I was just playing my Wyble ….and it’s captivating.

Doug is realizing this as he spends more time with his Bory’s. I had Roger set up my Bory’s to perfection and they play effortlessly.

In fact, my left hand has been in a splint for 4 weeks with trigger thumb, and severe joint pain, and the only guitar I can play ( for a bit) is my Bory’s - because it responds to ultra light fretting.

I hope you enjoy your Bory’s when it arrives Vinny.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Your point about the minimal communication is quite true. It’s just how he is , he’s a very quite guy and limits his communication - even with close friends - but he will deliver as promised.

I’ve known him for a while and we get along great- but I understand and respect his need to go radio silent at times. If you ever get the chance to hang out with him - you would find that he’s a real nice guy - and always offers to help out with my guitar needs.

When it comes to the tone of his laminates - it’s hard to beat. I was just playing my Wyble ….and it’s captivating.

Doug is realizing this as he spends more time with his Bory’s. I had Roger set up my Bory’s to perfection and they play effortlessly.

In fact, my left hand has been in a splint for 4 weeks with trigger thumb, and severe joint pain, and the only guitar I can play ( for a bit) is my Bory’s - because it responds to ultra light fretting.

I hope you enjoy your Bory’s when it arrives Vinny.

Hope your hand gets better soon, Steve!!