The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

As much as it pains me, I am going to part with this outstanding instrument. I bought it from Tony Marcus, an excellent pro player who worked for many years in a vintage guitar shop in the Bay area- I bought it because he said it was a particularly good one, and it is. No cracks in the top, back or neck. There may be a closed crack in the side, but it might be a lacquer check, I don't know. It needed frets when I bought it, and my tech removed the fretboard and planed the neck flat so it plays perfect all the way. And then he put in new frets, very similar gauge to the original. We also added the Krivo pickup, which sounds terrific with acoustic and electric strings. The pickguard and bracket are original, the tailpiece is a replacement as are the Kluson tuners.

The guitar is covered with finish checking, but there is plenty of finish left and it buffs out shiny. The neck is a great size- not a skinny 60's neck, but nice and full but not at all clubby. I have acoustic strings on it currently.

I made a couple of (regrettable) youtube videos so you can hear how it sounds, both plugged in and acoustic

1959 Gibson L7C, the real deal, with Krivo pickup-img_0671-jpeg
    please excuse my playing, and especially my abhorrent vocalizations, got to remember to stuff a sock in that pie hole.
    The guitar will ship in a period hard case that fits, and all the latches/ hinges work. $4500 net to me. Dig?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Damn, if this was in EU…

User Info Menu

That’s a particularly nice burst.

User Info Menu

Nice example of this beautiful instrument! Good luck with the sale!

User Info Menu

When it rains...
    This just showed up on my local Craigslist:
    1953 Gibson L7-C with McCarty - musical instruments - by owner - sale

User Info Menu

Bump!

User Info Menu

And it's still here.

User Info Menu

Has it been sold? If not I'm interested.

User Info Menu

Wow!

and the vocalizations really weren't that bad. At least they were in time; I have heard musicians humming and vocalizing out of time while they were playing which is really disconcerting.

User Info Menu

Fantastic sound, both acoustic and electric. The Krivo brings out the acoustic tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    Wow!

and the vocalizations really weren't that bad. At least they were in time; I have heard musicians humming and vocalizing out of time while they were playing which is really disconcerting.
    Hmmm, please forgive me but this quote prompts me : I was fortunate to see a great evening of Jazz waaaay back in 1975 in Antibes/France - CÔTE D'Azure and it had Joe Pass, Ella Fitzgerald and Oscar Peterson on the bill - those were the days ! It was an open-air affair and I was pretty close to the stage, the volume was low compared to today's levels so I could really hear everything , INCLUDING the grumbling and mumbling of Oscar Peterson !!!! Never heard something like it before, didn't get it at first but then it slowly dawned on me. Years later I got this package from Kenny Burrell : if you can't sing it you can't play it. Had a similar effect on me.... regardless of timing and pitch, vocalizing HELPS your phrasing BIG TIME ! Benson made it one of his trademarks and when you listen to Clark Terry when he's scatting then you know what's going on. Just sayin' ....

This guitar is very tempting indeed - too bad it's on the other side of the pond. GLWTS !

User Info Menu

Any insights as to why this guitar hasn't sold? It's on Reverb for a bit more. Do you think the Krivo puts people off? Appreciated-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzDaddyD View Post
    Any insights as to why this guitar hasn't sold? It's on Reverb for a bit more. Do you think the Krivo puts people off? Appreciated-
    Maybe for idiots? Jason makes outstanding pickups.

User Info Menu

If you filter for sold listings of L-7C's on Reverb you will see your price falls into the higher category. In my experience Reverb buyers for vintage guitars will not pull the trigger until they feel they are getting a bargain and not paying perceived fair market value. Yours seems to be at fair market value. Either lower your price to move it and consider any loss you take the price of owning this fine guitar for awhile, or edit your text to emphasize that you will consider any serious offers. As a vintage collector myself, I would be put off by a pickup screwed into the face of this guitar, but a floater would be okay by me. But that's just me. GLWTS!

User Info Menu

Thanks, that seems like a pretty reasonable/ accurate assessment of the Reverb environment. Guitars that are priced shy of 'fair market" go fast.

By the way, does it look like the pickup is "screwed" to the top? Maybe that's a misperception I can fix, as it is not attached to the top other than with a dab of putty.

User Info Menu

The playing was excellent. You showedcased a really nice guitar, pretty admirably in my opinion.
    Great stuff. And best of luck with the sale.
    JD

User Info Menu

Sweet guitar, and stop apologizing for fine playing.

User Info Menu

Lurvely guitar and swinging playing

User Info Menu

And, bump!