The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 57
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    They do exist ... a 2021 L5 in the Gibson demo shop on Reverb.

    A couple of finish issues ... and thus a $1600 "discount" from the usual custom order price .. about $10,599 at GC

    Gibson L-5 CES, Vintage Sunburst | Demo | Reverb

    Happy Hunting

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    None of the Gibson demos are good deals. I'm sure that one could get unblemished brand-new ones for 15% to 20% to 25% to even 30% off MAP at the right dealers.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    None of the Gibson demos are good deals. I'm sure that one could get unblemished brand-new ones for 15% to 20% to 25% to even 30% off MAP at the right dealers.
    I hope so ..

    I need to check with the guys at Rainbow in Tucson to see if they could get me that Citation I always wanted

    20 or 30 percent off would help

    The only catch is you may have to wait 2 years for it ... and this one's ready to ship .... Is anybody stocking these?

    Back in the day you could count on places like Chuck Levins having a few Gibson archtops and other custom orders on hand, but it's been a while since I checked.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    I have a brand new 2022 L-5 coming from TMZ Thursday. 17 month wait. I got it in ebony that is now a $800 up charge from VSB. Wine and black used to be the economy colors. Now wine is the same price as VSB and black is $300 cheaper then blonde.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Vinny you’re ahead of the game I waited 28 months for mine in 87-89)))
    Best of music and jazz for you with that coming baby

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I have a brand new 2022 L-5 coming from TMZ Thursday. 17 month wait. I got it in ebony that is now a $800 up charge from VSB. Wine and black used to be the economy colors. Now wine is the same price as VSB and black is $300 cheaper then blonde.
    That sounds great. Hope this is a good one for you.

    We'll need pictures, of course.

    Black L5s can be beautiful ... although I like to see the spruce and maple myself.

    I always thought black was cheaper since they didn't have to be as picky with the wood they use. Guess that's not true.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Vinny you’re ahead of the game I waited 28 months for mine in 87-89)))
    Best of music and jazz for you with that coming baby

    My Le Grand took about 6 months in 1993-94 ... FWIW

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    1 more color to have them all

    2021 L5 CES in the Gibson Demo shop-9b98e6f2-a16a-426c-a6ae-7d475cbbb098-jpg2021 L5 CES in the Gibson Demo shop-a6475e9f-1531-4a1f-8217-0bd69e01fcf9-jpg2021 L5 CES in the Gibson Demo shop-d44be5fd-9434-45c9-b821-d25caf57854b-jpg

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Black used to be $600 cheaper then wine and wine $500 cheaper then VSB. Blonde was $1K more then VSB. Now ebony is the 2nd most expensive. Good old Gibson.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Black used to be $600 cheaper then wine and wine $500 cheaper then VSB. Blonde was $1K more then VSB. Now ebony is the 2nd most expensive. Good old Gibson.
    In a way, this is no surprise to me as Ebony takes a lot of labor to get right. It shows orange peel more than the other colors. A Black car is the hardest to keep clean. And the paint needs to be perfect.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Marco ( SS ) is correct. I asked Mark Campellone to build me a black guitar. He didn’t want to do it. He said it is too difficult to get it perfect.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Marco ( SS ) is correct. I asked Mark Campellone to build me a black guitar. He didn’t want to do it. He said it is too difficult to get it perfect.
    In the past, the materials were the big cost item in making a Gibson guitar and as cheaper, less figured woods could be used, Ebony was the cheap finish. Today, labor is the big cost item, so the extra labor of getting the Ebony finish right has pushed the cost up.

    That said, an Ebony Les Paul Studio is the same price as a sunburst or Wine red Les Paul Studio. And at 1600 bucks new, that guitar is the bargain of the Gibson electric guitar line.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Bro,
    You have to add in the cost of the tuxedo that you have to wear everytime you play the new L5.
    Like our SS always says, "A Life Well Lived"..
    JD

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I have a brand new 2022 L-5 coming from TMZ Thursday. 17 month wait. I got it in ebony that is now a $800 up charge from VSB. Wine and black used to be the economy colors. Now wine is the same price as VSB and black is $300 cheaper then blonde.
    Did the price increase between ordering the guitar and receiving the guitar?

    I ordered my Le Grand in '93, but by the time I got it in '94 the price had gone up. Fortunately, not by much.

  16. #15

    User Info Menu


    I can imagine Vinny's L-5CES Ebony looking like this.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    Did the price increase between ordering the guitar and receiving the guitar?

    I ordered my Le Grand in '93, but by the time I got it in '94 the price had gone up. Fortunately, not by much.
    No. TMZ did give me a discount also. I live in Ca. so I had to pay 10% sales tax and a extra $168 for 2 day air NY to CA. 5 day free ground is too risky.

    Total price was $9044.00

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky

    I can imagine Vinny's L-5CES Ebony looking like this.
    Jabbs,
    Its gonna look more like this..

    In fact, Vinny owned this exact guitar.
    JD

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Jabbs,
    Its gonna look more like this..

    In fact, Vinny owned this exact guitar.
    JD
    and sorry to this day I sold it.

    2021 L5 CES in the Gibson Demo shop-fee43e9b-b925-41f2-a304-1dcdb73cc737-jpg

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Ebony L5s are good looking guitars, When I received my 2022 Ebony L5 CES some weeks ago, I was happy for a few minutes and took this family picture.
    2021 L5 CES in the Gibson Demo shop-285281529_5418556684841958_5316774399592256924_n-jpg
    Next, I discovered a nasty crack in the top right next to the upper f hole towards the brigde..ouch.
    2021 L5 CES in the Gibson Demo shop-img_1948-jpg

    I contacted the dealer and after some discussions, I got fully refunded.
    I was not in the mood to wait X months for a new one, so I was in the market for a used one. I found this 1977 CES in blonde
    2021 L5 CES in the Gibson Demo shop-img_2042-002-jpg

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    I remember when you could have purchased one of these for $5k brand new.

    Congratulations Vinny! She’s going to be Beautiful!


  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Hopefully no cracks in mine……gulp. Sorry hotpepper.

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    hot pepper: having been bitten twice on brand new Gibson archtops I have empathy for
    you and that sick feeling. But blonds are more fun

    1987 L5 List was $3500, when mine was ordered. Gibson newly under Henry honored the price on delivery in 1989 but the price list had already bumped to 5500.
    According to a net calculator that $3500 is now 9,000! Consistency!

    Vinny I’m putting your guitar on my prayer list tonight

    jk

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    hot pepper: having been bitten twice on brand new Gibson archtops I have empathy for
    you and that sick feeling. But blonds are more fun

    1987 L5 List was $3500, when mine was ordered. Gibson newly under Henry honored the price on delivery in 1989 but the price list had already bumped to 5500.
    According to a net calculator that $3500 is now 9,000! Consistency!

    Vinny I’m putting your guitar on my prayer list tonight

    jk
    pretty sure I told this story but in '89 I bought a used but mint blonde L-5 from Cintiolli's Music [rip Benny] for $1800. they also had a brand new one for $2600 iirc. As soon as I got home that day there was a flyer from Mandolin Brothers announcing a big price increase on carved top guitars as per JK's post above.
    so I went back the next day and bought the new one too. I didn't really bond w/either and sent the new one to Mandolin on consignment.
    the extra $ that I got from the sale paid for the used L-5 and then some. later I traded the used one for a very rare archtop plus cash at a guitar show that netted really big $ when I sold it. I've never been much of a guitar flipper but those were a few good decisions I made back then.

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    If I ever ordered a custom archtop from Gibson, it would be in Emerald Green...:
    Attached Images Attached Images 2021 L5 CES in the Gibson Demo shop-gib-byrd-green-jpg 

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Winter: The dealer and i each had L5Cs on order for delivery in 90. (Got to talk to Jim Triggs a couple of times specing them out, cool guy) Got a letter from Gibson that prices were going up and all guitars on order would be at the delivery price list. Canceled the order.
    Right around when Gibson demanded large pre orders from small dealers. That and a GC opened in town…. Took him out completely.