The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Someone in Italy has listed my 175 on ebay. The exact same photos and blurb when I bought it (in the UK) about a month ago! Same serial number!
    WTH?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    Someone in Italy has listed my 175 on ebay. The exact same photos and blurb when I bought it (in the UK) about a month ago! Same serial number!
    WTH?
    You bought it on eBay? Please flag it. If you share the original listing they MAY do something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    You bought it on eBay? Please flag it. If you share the original listing they MAY do something about it.
    Thanks
    It was listed on Ebay UK but happened to be half an hours drive away so the listing was cancelled and it became a private sale.
    Is that 'above board'?

User Info Menu

Yes, such happens more often than you would hope for. Never trust a seller with zero feedback and 1 day only member. That is why I check the pictures first in Google to see if they aleady occured earlier and in case of doubt, ask for a picture with an angle that only the real possesor can make, for instance a picture of the upper side of the headstock looking down the neck. And the golden rule, if its too good to be true, it probably is and you dont do it.
    You are safe.

User Info Menu

Thanks
    It was listed on Ebay UK but happened to be half an hours drive away so the listing was cancelled and it became a private sale.
    Is that 'above board'?
    You probably don’t want to disclose that lol but still reference the old one.

User Info Menu

I'd press "buy now" and report it to ebay then.

User Info Menu

You probably don’t want to disclose that lol but still reference the old one.
    The guitar from that suspicious listing doesn't have Chibson on the headstock?

Jokes aside, I take it you have some kind of certificate that proves yours is authentic? If so, you should probably report the listing as a counterfeit. That may have more effect, in Europe.

User Info Menu

I do not see why it is relevant if OP bought it on ebay or not?

if someone using photos to sell an item, which are "borrowed" and proven those photos are not representing the item he have and offers to sell (if he have anyithing at all) then it is cheating and you could report it, you could prove it regardless how you bought your guitar.

User Info Menu

Is it this one?

1963 GIBSON ES175D PAT NO PUPS NEW GIBSON CASE | eBay

Anyway, a fake listing. Buy it and whatever they send you - if they send you anything at all - it won’t be the guitar in the pictures, since that’s OP’s guitar. Reporting it somewhere would be a good idea. I don’t know how effective that is.

What scares is me is that, besides the 0-feedback of the seller, the listing looks very normal and legit. Asking price on the low side in the current market though.

But at least you prevented the forum-membera here from being scammed! (Not that I would ever buy a guitar like that unseen off eBay….).

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Is it this one?

1963 GIBSON ES175D PAT NO PUPS NEW GIBSON CASE | eBay

Anyway, a fake listing. Buy it and whatever they send you - if they send you anything at all - it won’t be the guitar in the pictures, since that’s OP’s guitar. Reporting it somewhere would be a good idea. I don’t know how effective that is.

What scares is me is that, besides the 0-feedback of the seller, the listing looks very normal and legit. Asking price on the low side in the current market though.

But at least you prevented the forum-membera here from being scammed! (Not that I would ever buy a guitar like that unseen off eBay….).
    Yes, that's it. That guitar is definitely in my possession!!
    And yes, it cost a bit more! Cheers

User Info Menu

The chances of someone buying items worth thousands of $$ on Ebay from a seller with zero feedback are in the Nigerian Prince zone.. or i least i hope so!

User Info Menu

Are those the photos from the original listing (which may still be online)? If they are (and it is), definitely report the ad to eBay as a scam.

The date stamps added to the pictures is clearly a basic photoshopping job ))

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Are those the photos from the original listing (which may still be online)? If they are (and it is), definitely report the ad to eBay as a scam.

The date stamps added to the pictures is clearly a basic photoshopping job ))
    They are all the same photos - even the one with the tuner removed and the one with the bridge laid out on the lace table cloth! The only thing missing from the description is a link to a YouTube clip that my seller made.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    I do not see why it is relevant if OP bought it on ebay or not?

if someone using photos to sell an item, which are "borrowed" and proven those photos are not representing the item he have and offers to sell (if he have anyithing at all) then it is cheating and you could report it, you could prove it regardless how you bought your guitar.
    The OP found the guitar via eBay but bought it outside of it which is against the terms of service. I just said to obviate that part of the story

User Info Menu

Thanks
    Is that 'above board'?
    "I ended up taking down the ad before it sold"

Fixed it for you !!!

User Info Menu

The OP found the guitar via eBay but bought it outside of it which is against the terms of service. I just said to obviate that part of the story
    I did understand that ugly part. However, say if I buy a used guitar in the local store which could have any previous online history, and now see someone is actually selling it on ebay, what is the problem to report it? The current ebay user is proven to use not valid photos for his item. Am I missing something?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    I did understand that ugly part. However, say if I buy a used guitar in the local store which could have any previous online history, and now see someone is actually selling it on ebay, what is the problem to report it? The current ebay user is proven to use not valid photos for his item. Am I missing something?
    You’re not. I would definitely flag to eBay like I said.

As the owner of this guitar, just to clarify:
    I saw the guitar listed on Ebay UK and as the seller was local to me (a rare occurance in respect of a guitar of this caliber) I contacted them to possibly arrange a viewing. It was decided that the best way (possibly) to go forward was for me to 'secure' the guitar by clicking the buy it now button (which I did) but delay the payment until the viewing and decision making. It may not have been a purchase I ultimately wished to carry out. If it wasn't for me the seller would cancel the transaction. Whether this process was above board or not, it effectively was not the guitar for me at the asking price so the transaction was cancelled. The subsequent negotiation was done privately as was the payment.
    Therefore, the rogue Itatian listing is not something I feel like flagging to Ebay.

User Info Menu

Looks like the listing is down.

I wonder if it was taken down before someone was tucked up?

User Info Menu

Therefore, the rogue Itatian listing is not something I feel like flagging to Ebay.
    It's good to have principles but in this case you're overdoing it IMHO. Listing an item on eBay doesn't mean you're accepting to sell it and only through them. The seller could clearly take the listing down, and what he did with the guitar afterwards is not any concern of eBay anymore. Furthermore, you nor the seller broke any laws I can think of, whereas offering something for sale that isn't yours definitely does.

User Info Menu

Who shops for guitars on ebay any longer? No good deals to be had and chances of deals going bad remain very high.

Stop using ebay, fellows. Scammers Central, both sellers and buyers. Support the few good dealers.

User Info Menu

I did a search on there this night (was curious about used Breedlove acoustic bass prices) and I think most all the hits I saw where from music stores using eBay as their front (just like others use Reverb). I bought my Seagull new that way, 2 years ago.

User Info Menu

Lots of genuine, honest music stores have ebay stores, as well as many large online sellers. It does pay to be careful and see who is doing the listing.