The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

No connection to this at all!
    But an AF200 at 1200 coming from a store not a stranger is worth thinking about.
    They say there’s an intermittent problem with the neck pup.
    But that’s a great guitar. I’d offer 1050,1100?
    jk

IBANEZ AF200 1991 | eBay

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've come to find that if I put something in my watch list that has a "make offer" button, the majority of times the seller will make ME an unsolicited offer. AND then for what I surmise is the lowest $$ they'd take.

PS, nice git :-)

User Info Menu

that's the one I bought a while back from music-go-round that had a lot of issues.

User Info Menu

Yuck! Not a good thing at all.

User Info Menu

from the ad:

*AS-IS. Please read description.

Ibanez AF200 with hard shell case. This guitar has had some intermittent issues with the neck pickup. We have had our luthier go through the guitar four different times. We have replaced the switch and we have replaced one of the pots(not sure exactly which one). We have metered the neck pickup and it is fully functional but the issue has continued intermittently and we don't know why. We are selling the guitar "AS-IS" for this reason. It also has some finish cracks on the heel but it is not in the wood and the tailpiece has been reglued. Our Luthier has checked out those issues as well. It still plays and sounds great!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    that's the one I bought a while back from music-go-round that had a lot of issues.
    And it sounds like it still does. Selling it "as is" doesn't really change anything unless the asking price has been grossly and appropriately reduced as compensation. Since it's not an acoustic and will be played amplified by most people most of the time, I don't understand how it's possible to say that it "sounds great" if there's a problem with a pickup. It sounds like a project guitar to me and would have to be priced accordingly to justify taking a flyer on it.

If it were cheap enough and the problem is truly in a pickup and/or the wiring, pots or connectors, the simple cure is to replace the entire electronics package. I don't know if this guitar is worth the cost and effort [edit: because I don't know anything about this model, not because I don't think it's a good guitar. My gigging archtop is an Ibanez that I bought new in 1997 and have loved since day 1. But I simply know nothing at all about an AF200].

User Info Menu

Seems like they disclosed there is a problem, fair enough. Sounds like wiring, or maybe a pickup replacement would solve it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Seems like they disclosed there is a problem, fair enough. Sounds like wiring, or maybe a pickup replacement would solve it.
    I'm not sure I agree with their assessment about the neck crack just being a crack in the lacquer. And when you sell something "as is" you basically are disavowing any responsibility for issues even if you did not disclose them. A more honest way to handle it is simply to list the issues and indicate that all sales are final unless the instrument does not match description and disclosure.

User Info Menu

I've played this guitar at Music Go Round; 5 months ago. As Jzucker notes above, it has issues. I would be wary of buying it sight unseen. Needless to say, I did not buy it myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    A more honest way to handle it is simply to list the issues
    ...which the seller did not do. With no desciption of the actual problem they encountered, we have no idea what they were trying to fix. "Some intermittent issues with the neck pickup" is hardly a clear desciption of the symptoms. Does it cut out? Does the output fluctuate? Does the tone change erratically? Is there an intermittent humming, buzzing, RFI, or other noise from it? Does the problem go away with the selector switch in the middle position?

They claim the pickup checks fine on the usual tests of continuity, resistance etc. They replaced the switch and a pot. Having already put that much effort into the diagnosis, you'd think they'd have followed through by trying a replacement pickup they had in the shop, just to make it playable and confirm that the problem is in the OEM unit. It'd be a lot easier to sell at a reasonable price (and to have confidence in the seller) if they'd have solved the problem with a cheap aftermarket pickup and included the original in the sale with an explanation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    ...which the seller did not do. With no desciption of the actual problem they encountered, we have no idea what they were trying to fix. "Some intermittent issues with the neck pickup" is hardly a clear desciption of the symptoms. Does it cut out? Does the output fluctuate? Does the tone change erratically? Is there an intermittent humming, buzzing, RFI, or other noise from it? Does the problem go away with the selector switch in the middle position?

They claim the pickup checks fine on the usual tests of continuity, resistance etc. They replaced the switch and a pot. Having already put that much effort into the diagnosis, you'd think they'd have followed through by trying a replacement pickup they had in the shop, just to make it playable and confirm that the problem is in the OEM unit. It'd be a lot easier to sell at a reasonable price (and to have confidence in the seller) if they'd have solved the problem with a cheap aftermarket pickup and included the original in the sale with an explanation.
    Agree. I always wonder about sellers who say there is a problem that should be easy to fix. THEN FIX IT.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Agree. I always wonder about sellers who say there is a problem that should be easy to fix. THEN FIX IT.
    Amen to that! I see that a lot, "should be $20 for the part anywhere you look..." then just do it yourself and leave me out of it!

User Info Menu

I had always assumed that Music Go Round is a music store chain/website, like Guitar Center or Sam Ash, but after looking into it a little I discovered that it's not that. Rather, it's the musical instrument branch of a franchise company sells several different retail franchises (clothing, sports, and toys) and provides an e-commerce portal to its franchisees. When you buy an instrument from "Music Go Round," you're actually buying from an independent retailer that uses M-g-R signage and branding, not a store owned by a nation-wide company. And the people who buy the franchises are probably not the typical music store owner (just as the typical fast food franchisee is not passionate restaurateur). Some of those sellers are better than others, and there's isn't the kind of consistency with respect to instrument set-up/support and refunds/returns you get with, GC or SA. I don't think I'd buy from them online knowing what I now know about them and after having heard a couple of bad stories.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I had always assumed that Music Go Round is a music store chain/website, like Guitar Center or Sam Ash, but after looking into it a little I discovered that it's not that. Rather, it's the musical instrument branch of a franchise company sells several different retail franchises (clothing, sports, and toys) and provides an e-commerce portal to its franchisees. When you buy an instrument from "Music Go Round," you're actually buying from an independent retailer that uses M-g-R signage and branding, not a store owned by a nation-wide company. And the people who buy the franchises are probably not the typical music store owner (just as the typical fast food franchisee is not passionate restaurateur). Some of those sellers are better than others, and there's isn't the kind of consistency with respect to instrument set-up/support and refunds/returns you get with, GC or SA. I don't think I'd buy from them online knowing what I now know about them and after having heard a couple of bad stories.
    I dealt with them twice through Reverb two years ago, an Ibanez AS200 and a Yamaha SA2200, great prices and both mint condition.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomvwash
    I dealt with them twice through Reverb two years ago, an Ibanez AS200 and a Yamaha SA2200, great prices and both mint condition.
    My point is that you didn't deal with "them". You dealt with an independent retailer using their branding. The one you dealt with happened to be fine. It's essentially the same as buying through Reverb, except there's a veneer of it being a single entity.