Perfect for Jazz lovers
    Big size body
    Straight neck
    Recently set up by a pro luthier

Gibson CES Super 400 from 1967-1968-img-20201104-wa0091-jpg

https://youtube.com/shorts/LcsRepdEmpw?feature=share

Gibson CES Super 400 from 1967-1968-1642706636944-jpg

The price is 11.700€
    Last edited by Freddybusy; 05-19-2022 at 02:54 PM. Reason: indicate the price

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

We suppose to guess the price.....?

User Info Menu

You need to put a price on this guitar. We cannot be the seller only the buyer, and we have to know the price you want.

User Info Menu

Posting price is standard here. Thank you, and good luck!

Nope...sorry...I´m new in here

User Info Menu

looks nice, just a note, the knobs and bridge saddle are replacements

Here you have the price

Thanks buddy

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    looks nice, just a note, the knobs and bridge saddle are replacements
    Is it a Nashville bridge, right?

User Info Menu

Nice cherry burst. 1 5/8th inch nut width, laminated maple back and rim, original pickups, I suppose?

It would help your sale to include more photos such as the front and back of the headstock, etc..

Good luck with the sale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Nice cherry burst. 1 5/8th inch nut width, laminated maple back and rim, original pickups, I suppose?

It would help your sale to include more photos such as the front and back of the headstock, etc..

Good luck with the sale.
    It may be a 1 9/16 nut.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    It may be a 1 9/16 nut.....
    You can be almost 100% sure it has a (more) narrow nut - but what are you insinuating with that comment ???? The good people who are regulars on this forum will very likely be aware of this small feature typical of Gibson guitars from that era.
    Having owned and played (extensively) a '68 SuperCES for over 10 years I can fully attest to the superb playability, the buttery and also robust tone of these models. The
    1" 9/16th nut width did NOT hinder me in any way to play my chords CLEANLY in the lower positions and the list of players who use(d) guitars with similar neck sizes (as in the ES-335/345/355 range, L5, Byrdland, ...) is long and full of well known names.
    To put this "big thing" that the nut width apparently is for some folks into perspective let me say this : in the world of classical guitars the standard nut width is 52 mm/ 2" and that is WIDE ! So you need more finger strength, more stretch and
    great precision when playing chordal stuff on a guitar like that but I don't see a trend towards either a curved fingerboard nor a more narrow nut. Go shopping for a high end classical guitar and you'll find out that you get these features only with a custom-ordered instrument. I personally like these features as they make playing easier for me (my go-to nylonstring is a CORDOBA Fusion 12)
    and I have no difficulty with the slightly reduced real-estate in the first 2 or 3 positions.

What also really irks me is the widespread pre-occupation with original/non-original parts , in direct reference to the alleged "worth" and desirability/collectability of an instrument. It painfully reminds me that we live in a world were many know the price of everything and the value of nothing ....

Rant over - I don't mean to put down anybody here, ok ? Peace, over and out.

User Info Menu

GM, not meaning to stand up for anyone but it's just a fact that most* (not everyone of course, just the majority) prefer the 1 11/16 width.
    Kenny Burrell has huge hands and got around pretty well on his narrow nut Super as do many others, but it's not for everyone.
    That said it's awesome that it poses no problem for you, but personally I like wide.

User Info Menu

Nice S400. Where are you located in EU ?

GLWTS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    What also really irks me is the widespread pre-occupation with original/non-original parts , in direct reference to the alleged "worth" and desirability/collectability of an instrument. It painfully reminds me that we live in a world were many know the price of everything and the value of nothing ....
    This instrument is a great example of the reason for that phenomenon. It’s a wonderful guitar that most of us would love to have and use. It’s not Gibson’s absolute best wood, it has some replacement parts, and it’s from a tumultuous era at Gibson during which Norlin seemed to be throwing anything lying around the factory into any model in which it would fit. But it’s a real Super 400, for heaven’s sake! It’s a beautiful guitar that probably sounds great! And it’s giggable, not a closet queen.

I think there are two separate groups of people - the players, who value each instrument for what it can do and the collectors / speculators / “investors” who arbitrarily assign a value to everything based on its “provenance”. The latter group will pay more for things about which the rest of us don’t care. Sadly, we’re all bidding against each other for a slowly diminishing number of instruments, and a rising tide floats all boats. I don’t blame sellers for seeking maximum return. But the market will most often stratify offerings not by asking price but in accord with what buyers will pay for each one.

Assuming this is a fine player (and I see no reason not to), most of us would be thrilled to have it. Sadly, those who know “the price of everything and the value of nothing” continue to drive up prices. But they don’t otherwise affect a player’s enjoyment of a great guitar. I hope this finds a loving and appreciative new guardian!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    You can be almost 100% sure it has a (more) narrow nut - but what are you insinuating with that comment ???? The good people who are regulars on this forum will very likely be aware of this small feature typical of Gibson guitars from that era.
    Having owned and played (extensively) a '68 SuperCES for over 10 years I can fully attest to the superb playability, the buttery and also robust tone of these models. The
    1" 9/16th nut width did NOT hinder me in any way to play my chords CLEANLY in the lower positions and the list of players who use(d) guitars with similar neck sizes (as in the ES-335/345/355 range, L5, Byrdland, ...) is long and full of well known names.
    I don't think he was insinuating anything, just pointing out something that the seller didn't specify.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I don't think he was insinuating anything, just pointing out something that the seller didn't specify.
    And TBH, anyone contemplating the purchase of a 5 figure guitar really should do some homework on it. The price of a copy of Van Hoose's book and an hour or two of a luthier's time are negligible in comparison with the cost of buying a $10k+ guitar and being disappointed with it.

As for nut width, I have long fingers (size 8+ gloves) and have happily played many guitars over the years with nuts ranging from 1 5/8" to well over 2". I think most of us are at least somewhat flexible about this if the guitar's otherwise great. I do prefer wider nuts, but I don't think I'd kick an S400 out of my rack because the nut was too narrow.

To each his or her own, but the more you know the more likely you are to find happiness.

User Info Menu

Well in all the hubbub about the guitar, is there an actual Asking Price?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Well in all the hubbub about the guitar, is there an actual Asking Price?
    It's at the bottom of the post - 11.700€

Gibson CES Super 400 from 1967-1968-1642706637242-jpgGibson CES Super 400 from 1967-1968-1642706636992-jpgGibson CES Super 400 from 1967-1968-1642706637041-jpgGibson CES Super 400 from 1967-1968-1642706637016-jpgGibson CES Super 400 from 1967-1968-1642706636846-jpg

Yes you are right

Brazilian Rosewood Fingerboard

Not Laminated European Sprice Top

I´ll take pictures off the measurements and send you all

Many thanks for your question.
    If I´m not wrong, you are absolutelly right

User Info Menu

Hi there. Well, I´m in Europe,in Barcelona, Spain.
    I ship worldwide with Fed Ex (Only 100% Insured shippings)
    I´ve sended guitars to Usa, Japan, Canada, and all over Europe...and never had any trouble