The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Somebody has a Jaen for sale on Reverb. If I'm not mistaken its his Jamaica model. I own a Jaen Berliner and absolutely love it. This is a bargain of a price for a carved archtop:

Jaen 15" archtop guitar | Reverb

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very nice guitar!

User Info Menu

yeah nice indeed

User Info Menu

Has anyone else had any experience with instruments built by this fellow? Thanks!

User Info Menu

Oooo, 15" is my preferred size, beautiful spruce grain. I already have a lam Sadowsky Bruno (15) and a carved Eastman 803-15. Help me resist this!

User Info Menu

Hello CliffR, how is the build quality and attention to detail of your Jaen? I'm also curious if the guitar for sale might be neck heavy.

Thanks!
    Dan

User Info Menu

Hi Dan,

This is my first archtop, but I do own several high-end solid body guitars. The build quality is excellent, and I frequently get compliments on the tone. Fretwork is great. I have the action set at < 1mm. (This does give me a dull and quickly decaying note at the 12th fret D, but is fine and without buzz everywhere else.)

Here's his website:

Jaen – Archtop Guitars Since 1992

The guitar on the main page is the one he built for me (he's very easy to work with, sent me lots of progress pics, and the total time from order to receiving the guitar was a little over three months). There are articles linked from the main page where he talks about various design aspects. It's clear he's very passionate and is continually thinking of ways to improve things, which is what led me to give him a try.

Mine is the Berlin II model, also a 15", and no: there's no neck dive.

User Info Menu

Clff, thanks for your response! Very helpful. Are Jaen guitars finished with nitro?

Dan

User Info Menu

Hey Dan - I'm not sure what the finish is, to be honest. Searching through my emails with him, I see the word 'lacquer' only once. I believe he changed something about the dying process for my build. I can tell you that the finish is very thin.

User Info Menu

I purchased a used Jaen archtop that was an 18” guitar. It’s build quality was absolutely superb in every way. I’d not hesitate to purchase this guitar, but 15” is too small for me. Jaen is a fabulous builder!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by savoy150
    Clff, thanks for your response! Very helpful. Are Jaen guitars finished with nitro?

Dan
    Sure looks like it from the spruce top grain contours, but never can be sure.

User Info Menu

How deep (thick) at the rim?

User Info Menu

I don't know, but this confirms a nitro finish:

https://www.guitarrasjaen.com/jamaica-c4/?lang=en

User Info Menu

Cliff, how is your Berliner on feedback?

User Info Menu

Well, I'm strictly an amateur, so can't tell you what it's like on stage. I play through an AxeFX with a couple of studio monitors on a desk right in front of me. And yeah, it's particularly resonant on the low E string around B->C. I actually have a low cut filter set up to dial it down, but it doesn't tame it completely.

User Info Menu

Is it loud acoustically? I'm really thinking about making an offer on that guitar. I'm looking for a good acoustic 15"er.

User Info Menu

The second video on this page has somebody playing it acoustically. (Sounds like roundwound strings to me - mine has flat wounds and is definitely quieter.)

https://www.guitarrasjaen.com/berlin2-2/?lang=en

User Info Menu

SOLD!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Forensbro
    SOLD!
    Are you the lucky new owner? I’ve been sweating over this one.

User Info Menu

Yes.

User Info Menu

Yes.
    Victory!!! I hope time flies and you get it ASAP. Can’t wait to hear it!

User Info Menu

The seller backed out of the sale claiming there was problem with the neck that he just discovered.

User Info Menu

That sucks! Sorry to hear.

User Info Menu

The seller backed out of the sale claiming there was problem with the neck that he just discovered.
    Oh jeez. What a load of BS. Sorry to hear that.

User Info Menu

He prob saw all the fees at the end of the transaction and sold it local or something.