The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Rare and hard to find on the used market, for sale is this Hofner Verythin John Stowell Vintage with violin varnish shellac finish. Label notes this is guitar 25 of 50. Built in Germany.

Arched laminate spruce top, flamed maple back and sides. Flamed maple neck with ebony fretboard. An extremely well-built guitar. At 1.25” deep, It really is very thin and comfortable to hold and play. Despite the center block, it has a very different vibe than 335-style guitars.

Video of the actual guitar for sale:

Cosmetically in very good condition—the shellac Hofner uses is fragile, so there are minor cosmetic blemishes here and there. I asked my luthier about the thin line in the ebony pick guard. He said it appeared not to be a crack in the wood, but rather the seam from two pieces of ebony used to build the pickguard.

Playability is excellent. The guitar has received a comprehensive setup, including fret leveling, electronics cleaning, etc. Action is low with plenty of room for adjustment. Currently strung with Thomastik-Infeld Swing Flat 11s.

Excellent access to upper frets—legend Jimmy Wyble explains in the video below that this is why he played this guitar:

Hofner mini humbucker is mounted to surface of the top with a ring mount and two small screws—the top has not been routed. (Pickup ring for floating neck mount included with sale, but please note it is cracked and may not function properly.) Useable tones can be found throughout the entire sweep of the tone knob.

Ships with original sturdy wooden case with humidistat and humidifier, case candy, etc.

$2100 + shipping / fees.
    Attached Images Attached Images Hofner Verythin John Stowell Vintage-verythin-2-jpeg Hofner Verythin John Stowell Vintage-verythin-13-jpeg Hofner Verythin John Stowell Vintage-verythin-11-jpeg Hofner Verythin John Stowell Vintage-verythin-16-jpeg Hofner Verythin John Stowell Vintage-verythin-27-jpeg Hofner Verythin John Stowell Vintage-verythin-1-jpeg Hofner Verythin John Stowell Vintage-verythin-29-jpeg Hofner Verythin John Stowell Vintage-verythin-19-jpeg 
    Last edited by wzpgsr; 05-10-2022 at 11:07 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice playin! Sounds great. GLWTS!!

User Info Menu

Nice guitar and price!
    The upper reach on these hofners is amazing. The necks seem to go forever!
    Glwts.

User Info Menu

And Jimmy really has it going on.

User Info Menu

This is a great jazz sounding guitar.One of the most interesting Hofner guitars on the market.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    This is a great jazz sounding guitar. One of the most interesting Hofner guitars on the market.
    Hofner made fewer than 150 of these, between 2001 and 2012.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-14-2022 at 02:22 AM.

Will consider trades / cash offers.

User Info Menu

The neck profile on these is "verythin" (shallow) as well, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythmisking View Post
    The neck profile on these is "verythin" (shallow) as well, yes?
    Around 0.83” at first fret, around 0.86” at 12th.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr View Post
    Around 0.83” at first fret, around 0.86” at 12th.
    Oh! That's thinner than I personally like, but probably what most would consider a 'medium' profile. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythmisking View Post
    Oh! That's thinner than I personally like, but probably what most would consider a 'medium' profile. Thanks!
    My hands are not beefy, but probably on the larger side of average. I am not a stickler, but I do tend to prefer thicker necks. Thing is, the sum of the parts of these Hofner necks—carve, radius, thickness, width—make them quite comfortable and eminently playable. My Jazzica neck is on the thicker side and I prefer the profile of the Verythin and (especially) my Chancellor.

Don’t you want me, oh, oh-oh-oh?