The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 59

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    John makes great guitars but at this price it puts them into the "Luxury Yacht " item for the super wealthy. Granted without any reservation John Monteleone is up with the highest order of guitar makers but wow, hard to swallow this because it cannot happen for me. Also I know John and he is a fine person, very professional and down to earth, so I cannot begrudge him any of the money required to get one. For the $175k I figure I could own at least 15-20 L5's or Super 400. That would keep my interest as a player for a long time for sure. I could pull a different one out everyday and after 3 weeks forget what the 1st one sounded like and have to start over.

The truth in all this aside from my tongue-in-cheek is that when they get like this it is sad because the ordinary guy playing has no hope in getting one. Even right now an expensive guitar like a Gibson L5 or a Campellone, might be out of range but probably not out of hope of possibly owning if we want to really make a go of purchasing one.
    Truth be known, I would much rather have a Gibson Citation or a Campy Cameo than go full monty. A Radio Flyer was $12000 in 1990. I have the price sheet to prove it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Truth be known, I would much rather have a Gibson Citation or a Campy Cameo than go full monty. A Radio Flyer was $12000 in 1990. I have the price sheet to prove it.
    I know, I remember when he built his first one and brought it to a guitar show.
    12K. I went to look for a website and couldn't find one, is he still taking orders?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I know, I remember when he built his first one and brought it to a guitar show.
    12K. I went to look for a website and couldn't find one, is he still taking orders?
    I emailed in about 2016 and perhaps to put me off my importuning, he quoted $70 000 for a Radio Flyer. I was prepared to pay $30 000 for The One Archtop To Rule Over The Rest in my small collection but $70 000 was "daft money".

Still looking for the right Citation. If anyone knows who bought that 2015 Citation Blondie in Musician's Friend"s Youtube demo by Brian...

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Jabberwocky;1190778]Truth be known, I would much rather have a Gibson Citation or a Campy Cameo than go full monty. A Radio Flyer was $12000 in 1990. I have the price sheet to prove it.[/QUOT

i just spent one hour playing my 2003 L5c. I am pretty happy camper. I just hope John does not read this post.

User Info Menu

….”full Monty.” LOL!

User Info Menu

As much as any instrument can be the best. It really comes down to the players abilities mostly. George Benson , Joe Pass, Haeckel Pat Martino on Desperado playing a lowly 12 string imitation 335!

I love great instruments as much as anyone, but it really becomes ridiculous the prices asked by some luthiers. Do they deserve the $$$$, sure! But like the Dumble Amps and vintage Gibson Les Pauls and Fenders I’ve owned. No thanks, I’m happy with my Benedetto Bambino Std, and a Quilter Aviator!

User Info Menu

I have played a couple Monteleone’s in the past and I remember them sounding excellent, but not necessarily better than a D’Aquisto. I am not crazy about the looks of the Radio Flyer either. I prefer the aesthetics of a nice D’Aquisto (or D’Angelico) which would cost much less as well.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Remember this guitar is being offered by Gary Dick, not John Monteleone.

User Info Menu

So long as there are people with too much wealth, there will also be people ready, willing and able to help those folks part with some of it.

People pay millions of dollars for a painting and other examples of fine art. This is a similar example. I have never paid more than 10K for a guitar or 25K for a car. I can (and have) get cars and guitars that float my boat for less. Others have different needs and wants.

If Mr. Dick (I shudder to think of the insults he received in childhood having that last name) can get that price for that guitar and the buyer is happy to pay it, more power to the both of them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    Remember this guitar is being offered by Gary Dick, not John Monteleone.
    Yes, I noticed that. The price doesn't seem right, so much so that I thought when first seeing it, oh no is Monteleone dead?

How much does Monteleone currently charge for an instrument?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Yes, I noticed that. The price doesn't seem right, so much so that I thought when first seeing it, oh no is Monteleone dead?

How much does Monteleone currently charge for an instrument?
    My understanding is that John Monteleone is no longer taking orders. He has a backlog of several years and probably expects to retire after completing those. So the asking price of this guitar might reflect that to some degree.

Perhaps someone here might contact John Monteleone through his website and find out if one can be ordered?

Monteleone - The Art of the Guitar and Mandolin

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Tell him we've already got one.

User Info Menu

I went full Monty and am glad I did.
    Attached Images Attached Images Monteleone Radio Flyer on Reverb: 5K-monty-montrealer-jpg Monteleone Radio Flyer on Reverb: 5K-monty-jimmy46-jpg 

User Info Menu

Wow! Had me worried you were going to show pictures with the "Full Monty" Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I went full Monty and am glad I did.

User Info Menu

Full Monty? I have a three-week gig coming up doing Spamalot.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 04-13-2022 at 11:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fear the Reaper
    Wow! Had me worried you were going to show pictures with the "Full Monty" Yikes!
    I was rather looking forward to that! Turned out to be geetars. Now, I know why they call them f-holes Eff-holes.

User Info Menu

This Reverb seller's listings stay unsold for years

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HeyNow
    This Reverb seller's listings stay unsold for years
    "But Honey, it's for sale! Look, here's the ad....."

User Info Menu

I'm confused about why everyone is so upset it's priced the way it is. Why does it matter? He makes 6 guitars per year by hand and has been doing it for decades - he can do whatever he wants and all power to him. Also, at a certain point it is in the unattainable category - whether its 15k or 250k 99% of people aren't going to drop that cash on a guitar.
    Last edited by timc100; 05-25-2022 at 12:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timc100
    I'm confused about why everyone is so upset it's priced the way it is. Why does it matter? He makes 6 guitars per year by hand and has been doing it for decades - he can do whatever he wants and all power to him. Also, at a certain point it is in the unattainable category - whether its or 250k 99% of people aren't going to drop that cash on a guitar.
    John is not selling this one himself and I would agree he can do what he wants. In this case it is a dealer on Reverb and I am not upset as you might call it, however when I see things like this it makes guitars more than they are. It becomes dealing like dealing in rare art or esoteric high luxury items for the very wealthy. I avoid that completely as guitars are to be played and used by folks who have an interest in playing. I happen to know Gary the dealer and he is fine person who has great guitars. If he can get $175,000 for it that is fine but a basic jazz guitar of the finest quality can be had for way less than $10k. If fact Gary has some of those every kind of guitars buy one of those and be a regular player.

User Info Menu

That makes sense - we know that Monteleone charges a lot for just an "entry" model 80k+, so in general anything with his name on it is a ton. As you said, though, someone can get a solid instrument for much less than 10k and as long as that doesn't change then people who want to play an archtop will be able to play one.

User Info Menu

But you can get Dr. Wu to make a copy for 2k.

....or Holst for that matter.

BTW, Marchone is in the $27,000 range, for his guitars.

Guess it is like buying a classic Corvette in some weird way

User Info Menu

Beautiful instrument, you have to admire & appreciate John's work. But my entire nice suburban 3 bed one floor ranch with music studio, chamber music/"salon" wing and in ground saltwater pool cost' less than that. It's kinda crazy when you put that in perspective. But if you have that kind of spare coin to blow, go for it. Instead, my wife and I try to be as generous as we can for the needy.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 05-27-2022 at 05:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov
    But you can get Dr. Wu to make a copy for 2k.
    I doubt the fretwork would be anywhere close.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I doubt the fretwork would be anywhere close.
    Fret work would be the least of it..

I have a Yunzhi (possibly made by Wu before he left to work on his own) copy of a Monteleone. It was $1250 at the time. Probably quite a bit more now. And really.. it's a good guitar and a pleasure to play as a purely acoustic instrument. But you're not going to get close to the sort of resonance, balance, and complexity you would expect from the real deal. The only really great guitars I've played are flat tops, but the difference between a good guitar and a great one is pretty big. One of these days I'll spring for a Campellone electric and a Trenier acoustic. Maybe when the recession comes and prices drop a bit.
    Last edited by Spook410; 05-28-2022 at 02:31 PM.