The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

First, as of two weeks ago, I never had any intentions of selling this guitar. However, I was presented with an opportunity to buy a guitar I have always wanted. I bought it and unfortunately need to move one. I have owned one other 2460 and an Ibanez Johnny Smith. This one blew them both away. I have had it for about 20 years.

It’s in excellent condition. There are a few dings that I can photograph closely for you but for a guitar of this age, it’s great shape. I guess these were around 1974-75. (pre serial numbers)

The binding is tight and in perfect condition. Tight neck joint. A lot of these guitars from this period had binding issues and rot.

The case has seen better days. LOL

All original except…

1. Had Dick Dubois (Collings) fit an ebony saddle for it. The saddle came from Collings.

2. New tort guard (got it from archtop.com) Dick also fitted that to the guitar (I have the original as well, it had started to gas out)

3. New bone nut and refret by Ed Reynolds (Collings, Eric Johnson, ect) He’s the man here in Austin when it comes to fret jobs) It’s expensive but worth every penny. He even rounds out (hot dogs) the fret ends. He said the finger board was great. (minimal leveling)

It plays perfectly and maintained. Slim fast neck.

Just wanted to get the ad going. I plan to add more details and pictures. Please PM with any questions. Love talking gear!

Ibanez 2460 Pre Lawsuit L-5 CES-img_2929-jpgIbanez 2460 Pre Lawsuit L-5 CES-img_2930-jpgIbanez 2460 Pre Lawsuit L-5 CES-img_2931-jpgIbanez 2460 Pre Lawsuit L-5 CES-img_2927-jpgIbanez 2460 Pre Lawsuit L-5 CES-img_2928-jpgIbanez 2460 Pre Lawsuit L-5 CES-img_2932-jpg

$3500 plus shipping and any fees. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by CharlesC; 10-24-2023 at 08:53 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Does it have a carved top?

I don't believe this one does but I will pull the pickup later to confirm. Thanks!

User Info Menu

I've had a few, they're not carved.
    But that 60s L-5 is.

Thanks! It's an early '63 and killer.

User Info Menu

I’ve owned one, about 2011. Not carved but they’re very nice guitars!

User Info Menu

interesting that it has a rosewood board. all the ones I've seen were ebony

User Info Menu

Ed Reynolds! A refret/nut/fingerboard dressing by a master craftsman like him makes it halfway to a luthier-built guitar. Best wishes for your sale!

PK

I had another 2460 that had an ebony board. It also had the post lawsuit headstock. Maybe they were doing rosewood before that? I have seen a few with the open book headstock and they all had rosewood boards. Interesting...

Here is an example.

Ibanez 2460NT 1975 - The Guitar Company

Had a few questions...

1 11/16" nut

Original pickups

I do have the original Ibanez TOM that came on the guitar.

User Info Menu

Is that a Tamura-san guitar? He used to sign the labels for the guitars he built himself, he studied with John D'Angelico before returning to Japan.

I am not sure. This one is pre serial numbers and labels.

User Info Menu

Cool guitar...GLWTS!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    Is that a Tamura-san guitar? He used to sign the labels for the guitars he built himself, he studied with John D'Angelico before returning to Japan.
    Studied with John D’Angelico?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Studied with John D’Angelico?
    Apprenticed is likely a better word I suppose, but yes. And Sugihara-san learned from Tamura. You'll see both signatures on a lot of 70's labels of archtops from Ibanez, with Sugihara on the lower end models, like my FA-100.

User Info Menu

Apprenticed is likely a better word I suppose, but yes. And Sugihara-san learned from Tamura. You'll see both signatures on a lot of 70's labels of archtops from Ibanez, with Sugihara on the lower end models, like my FA-100.
    I find that dubious, the only people that were ever known to have worked in John's shop were Jimmy Diserio and Jimmy D'Aquisto
    Do you have a link to confirm this? maybe you're thinking of when D'Aquisto went to Japan and worked on the Fender/D'Aquisto line....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I find that dubious, the only people that were ever known to have worked in John's shop were Jimmy Diserio and Jimmy D'Aquisto
    Do you have a link to confirm this? maybe you're thinking of when D'Aquisto went to Japan and worked on the Fender/D'Aquisto line....
    I am also curious about this, tried googling but nothing came up beyond forum threads involving jim777

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohanAbrandt
    I am also curious about this, tried googling but nothing came up beyond forum threads involving jim777

I heard it long ago, as a member/moderator of various Ibanez boards and forums since the 90's. I'll look around and see what I can find. It might be just conjecture, I don't know the man, just remember reading it

EDIT: It's kind of mentioned here, but from 2004, and I'm sure I heard it previously to that. Ibanez Collectors World: Archtops with signature (Sugihara?) on label

"I was talking to a local guitar guru who told me that Tamura was THE archtop guy at Ibanez. Apparently he went to study with D'Angelico during the war (and had some problems getting into or out of the country) and then returned to Japan where he eventually built all of Ibanez's high-zoot archtops."

User Info Menu

I heard it long ago, as a member/moderator of various Ibanez boards and forums since the 90's. I'll look around and see what I can find. It might be just conjecture, I don't know the man, just remember reading it

EDIT: It's kind of mentioned here, but from 2004, and I'm sure I heard it previously to that. Ibanez Collectors World: Archtops with signature (Sugihara?) on label

"I was talking to a local guitar guru who told me that Tamura was THE archtop guy at Ibanez. Apparently he went to study with D'Angelico during the war (and had some problems getting into or out of the country) and then returned to Japan where he eventually built all of Ibanez's high-zoot archtops."

Yeah, I found that thread as well. Cool story, would be interesting to know more.

User Info Menu

I can't believe D'Angelico would allow a Japanese gentleman to study with him during that time of our country's history.
    Call me skeptical (or wintermoon ) but I'd need a little more proof than what the "guitar guru" says, whoever that may be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I can't believe D'Angelico would allow a Japanese gentleman to study with him during that time of our country's history.
    Call me skeptical (or wintermoon ) but I'd need a little more proof than what the "guitar guru" says, whoever that may be.
    I mean, it's just a legendary story, true or not. I apologize to the OP for even bringing it up and distracting from his beautiful guitar.

No worries! Thank you!

Going to post this one on Reverb. Thought I would give it one more bump here before I did. Killer guitar! Thanks!

User Info Menu

...And Charles is a lovely fellow to deal with, as I have found on a couple of occasions.

Likewise Hammertone! Thank you!