The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Looking for a nice (vintage) hardcase

guitar is a vintage 50s Euro made archtop with a 18-1/4 inch (46,5cm) lower bout

so Super 400/ Epi Emperor size

something for sale within Europe would be nice , seen the transport charges from USA. Although for the right case it might be worthwhile

thanks
    Last edited by fws6; 03-03-2022 at 11:09 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What about depth?
    I have a few excellent S-400 sized cases that fit some of my German archtops, but are too shallow for some others - a Wolfrum, a couple of Hoyer Specials (with these, it depends on the neck angle), a Glassl/Hopf Special and probably more.
    I agree that the shipping charges and VAT into Europe make shipping from North America an unattractive proposition.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 01-19-2022 at 03:54 PM.

User Info Menu

I have a Gibson Super 400 case but cost to ship would not be worth it. But I guess if anyone else needs one not in Europe.

User Info Menu

The rim is 3-3/4” inches. I looked it up and US postal shipping is just over a 100 so for a decent case not all that bad….

Looking for 18 inch archtop case-d3d257fd-d76b-4268-be8a-59faaa4de4e4-jpeg
    Last edited by fws6; 01-18-2022 at 08:17 PM.

User Info Menu

The rim looks very wide, but thats because the guitar top was carved with a big recurve. The body thickness is actually quite normal. It fits very nicely into the Lifton from my New Yorker, which has a 3-1/8” rim. I am sure an 18” lifton or Epi Emperor case would fit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Have you checked the fit with someone locally who has an S-400 case? My guess is that an S-400 case will not close properly on an archtop guitar with such deep rims, but one never knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    The rim looks very wide, but thats because the guitar top was carved with a big recurve. The body thickness is actually quite normal. It fits very nicely into the Lifton from my New Yorker, which has a 3-1/8” rim. I am sure an 18” lifton or Epi Emperor case would fit
    Well, alrighty, then.

User Info Menu

We still want to know what guitar it is (better if accompanied with pictures!). I also have a Hoyer Special that needs a case, also In Europe. No need for vintage on my side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Bump !

User Info Menu

I don't know where to buy them, but 18" cases are made in China. The 18" Wu I got off ebay came with a decent, not great, case, and it fits very well. It's identical to the 17" case that came with the 17" Wu I ordered, other than the size. Both are good fits for the guitars in them. I haven't had the incentive to try to find out how to buy one of those cases.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I don't know where to buy them, but 18" cases are made in China. The 18" Wu I got off ebay came with a decent, not great, case, and it fits very well. It's identical to the 17" case that came with the 17" Wu I ordered, other than the size. Both are good fits for the guitars in them. I haven't had the incentive to try to find out how to buy one of those cases.
    thanks I might look into that, see if someone can make me one, if I cannot find a used case….

User Info Menu

AJL of Finland makes a 19" Stromberg-style archtop guitar with a hard shell case for it. Perhaps you could write to AJL to see if he would sell you one or direct you to the source of his 19" hard shell cases.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    AJL of Finland makes a 19" Stromberg-style archtop guitar with a hard shell case for it. Perhaps you could write to AJL to see if he would sell you one or direct you to the source of his 19" hard shell cases.
    thanks ! If I cannot find an old one, it is good to have a lead on a new made one !

User Info Menu

Still looking for a fitting (preferably vintage) case…

Looking for 18 inch archtop case-4640d9cf-320e-484f-a640-165c0739a917-jpeg

User Info Menu

There's a brown lifton on Reverb from Austin guitars that measures 20" lower bout (likely outer)
    But might measure 18" inside, ask them

Lifton Vintage Hardshell Case Gibson 46"L-15"up-20"low 1950's | Reverb

User Info Menu

I'm still looking for an 18" 5 latch brown/pink Lifton or 60s black/yellow
    There's one in Japan but I'm not spending $3400.
    Last edited by wintermoon; 03-18-2022 at 11:34 AM.

User Info Menu

I have been looking for a TKL 9121 case for an "18 Super 400 CES. I don't think they are making these any longer. Does anyone have an idea of a similar case that would fit?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomvwash
    I have been looking for a TKL 9121 case for an "18 Super 400 CES. I don't think they are making these any longer. Does anyone have an idea of a similar case that would fit?
    I have several new TKL 9121/other 18" TKL archtop cases, as well as a couple of Cedar Creek Super 400 cases.