The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

You dont come across a Stromberg Master 400 that often. This one is offered for sale in Germany. UK text is available at the bottom of the add.
    No affiliation.

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/jazzgitarre-stromberg-master-400/1965532315-74-9505

Jazzgitarre Stromberg Master 400-stromberg-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello, What is this website? It's not ebay.de...

User Info Menu

It's ebay local offers page, like olx/craigslist/gumtree.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Pace
    Hello, What is this website? It's not ebay.de...
    seller is a 100% trustworthy Guitar builder from hamburg, Germany .... karsten Schnoor ...

Schnoor GUITARS

User Info Menu

Thank you for the information. It is very surprising to see ebay explore such territory...

User Info Menu

They’ve been doing so (exploring that territory) for years, successfully. Can’t let Craigslist, etc. take all that business

User Info Menu

"Ebay Kleinanzeigen" is owned by "Marktplads.NL" these days.

cheers.

User Info Menu

No reply on a sound sample request. One might be lead to conclude that it's a guitar for collectors, nice to show off, less interesting to play.

User Info Menu

no no, please let us share a more happy view onto that world outside.

he is just too busy for things like that I believe, and a guitar in that price range has to be experienced and played prior to purchase, I am sure.

Last edited by Filmosound 621; 01-19-2022 at 05:51 AM.

User Info Menu

In my experience, it's common practise to provide sound samples at this price point.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RudolfR
    In my experience, it's common practise to provide sound samples at this price point.
    Please tell me : what would you play as a sample and how would you record YOUR guitar if someone would ask you for a sound sample ? Are you an experienced guitarist, familiar with the playing style that is usually associated with this
    type of guitar and do you have instant access to "good" recording rig (other than an iPhone that is ...) to truly capture the tonal essence of -any- guitar ?

I have played such a Master-400 model and would be very hard pressed as to how the special voice of these guitars could be adequately recorded and by whom.
    They are LOUD, percussive and the tone is NOT pleasing as
    many other, smaller archtops can be. And it takes a STRONG hand with a stiff pick to get this machine working the way it was designed to work .... I also have my doubts that a potential buyer would spend that kind of money based on a
    recording - a trip to Hamburg and a thorough close inspection can be expected. The seller is beyond reproach, that's for sure.

User Info Menu

Gitman, I sent you a PM to tell you about my experiences.

In sum: one can tell quite a few things based on sound samples as a starting point. Obviously they can never replace playing the guitar oneself on closer inspection (and in an ideal world, of course one should play a guitar before buying). And yes, I also agree, a Stromberg might be harder to judge than another archtop precisely because the tone isn't as pleasing.

User Info Menu

A Stromberg w a D'Angelico NYer tailpiece......interesting

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    A Stromberg w a D'Angelico NYer tailpiece......interesting
    Indeed. Replica Stromberg tailpiece, replica pickguard and original tuners in the case, If it was me, I would drop the DA tailpiece and mounted the replica Stromberg tailpiece and pickguard. The DA tailpiece looks off in my eyes, But it could very well suit a 18" vintage DA....
    Whatever you (and I) think of it, it is a rare guitar, A hefty pricetag for sure with 23+ K Euro and definitely something to see for yourself and checkout, But how often do these get offered for sale? The late great Freddie Green did play one of these himself prior to his Gretsch (Eldorado) endorsement. Pic below. I do not have the fundings, but if I had, and being a big FG fan, I would have taken the ICE to have a look at this unique instrument.

Jazzgitarre Stromberg Master 400-fg-stromberg01-jpg

User Info Menu

QUOTE=hotpepper01;1174404]Indeed. Replica Stromberg tailpiece, replica pickguard and original tuners in the case, If it was me, I would drop the DA tailpiece and mounted the replica Stromberg tailpiece and pickguard. The DA tailpiece looks off in my eyes, But it could very well suit a 18" vintage DA....
    Whatever you (and I) think of it, it is a rare guitar, A hefty pricetag for sure with 23+ K Euro and definitely something to see for yourself and checkout, But how often do these get offered for sale? The late great Freddie Green did play one of these himself prior to his Gretsch (Eldorado) endorsement. Pic below. I do not have the fundings, but if I had, and being a big FG fan, I would have taken the ICE to have a look at this unique instrument.

Jazzgitarre Stromberg Master 400-fg-stromberg01-jpg[/QUOTE]

It says “non orig. Grover tuners, new old stock goldplated Imperials in the case”. So not the original tuners.

Also the bridge is not original - doesn’t have the inlays.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by POTTEN

Also the bridge is not original - doesn’t have the inlays.
    thats a D’Angelico bridge, just like the tailpiece is.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RudolfR
    No reply on a sound sample request. One might be lead to conclude that it's a guitar for collectors, nice to show off, less interesting to play.
    I demoed a 1954 Stromberg M400 last year. It was a nicer (and even more expensive) one than the one for sale.

I do not own the guitar.

DB

User Info Menu

Nice demo DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    thats a D’Angelico bridge, just like the tailpiece is.
    I could be wrong but doesn't look like a DA bridge to me

User Info Menu

George, youre right. I thought to see on the pic in the OP. But in the closeup its clear, thats not a DA bridge indeed. Sorry for the confusion

User Info Menu

all good Frank

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

now reduced to 18 k Euro.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Filmosound 621
    now reduced to 18 k Euro.

for 1 week

Seller said after that it supposedly will be auctioned during summertime