Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

Anyone selling?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I bought a PM200 new last week brand new. It is a tremendous instrument. Made in Japan, tone, and build are exceptional!!!

User Info Menu

Hi Jack!
    i saw this today…
    Ibanez Pat Metheny PM200 Hollowbody Guitar Natural w/ Case

I have a PM200, please feel free to PM me. island Music LaPlata MD is about an hour from me. I know nothing about the store, but they do have some awesome inventory.

Regards,
    jk
    dave

Thanks Dave!

I ended up finding something. Thanks folks.

User Info Menu

You should get Ibanez to give you an endorsement deal Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    You should get Ibanez to give you an endorsement deal Jack.
    I had one a while back but none of the companies are courting 60 year olds these days unless they're playing with Wynton or someone of that stature. The rep I used to deal with retired...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I ended up finding something. Thanks folks.
    What did you find, Jack? I am curious about your assessment of the PM200 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bflat233
    What did you find, Jack? I am curious about your assessment of the PM200 ...
    Found an AF200 but it turned out to be a dog. Really bad buzzing and back-bowed neck with truss rod already counter-clockwise as far as it could go. I think i'm going to give up on the AF200. I've tried several that were dogs...

User Info Menu

Found an AF200 but it turned out to be a dog. Really bad buzzing and back-bowed neck with truss rod already counter-clockwise as far as it could go. I think i'm going to give up on the AF200. I've tried several that were dogs...
    That's odd, I've never had that kind of problem with an Ibanez. Maybe try an AF2000?

That's odd, I've never had that kind of problem with an Ibanez. Maybe try an AF2000?
    Neither have I but I'm wondering if the price of these is indicative of slightly lower quality builds than the metheny/benson instruments? At any rate, 2 in a row bad necks on af200 instruments where I have played 30 or more GBs and Metheny's that didn't have any issues...

User Info Menu

You didn't mention the pm100 in your wish list, is there any reason?

Quote Originally Posted by fabyoda
    You didn't mention the pm100 in your wish list, is there any reason?
    I had one and it didn't knock me out. It was tubby and prone to feedback. The PM120 is thinner sounding, sort of like a hybrid between a 335 and a 175 and has less feedback (though I still had to tape the F Holes on the one I had) and so it's not as resonant but also more practical. The PM100 fed back way more than my 175 and didn't sound as good.

OTOH, the LGB300 also feeds back quite easily but it has that velvety L5 influenced tone...

User Info Menu

Neither have I but I'm wondering if the price of these is indicative of slightly lower quality builds than the metheny/benson instruments? At any rate, 2 in a row bad necks on af200 instruments where I have played 30 or more GBs and Metheny's that didn't have any issues...
    Were these recent builds? I know Ibanez knew they were going to stop production of the AF200 in '19, but still....my '19 is a great guitar, nicer than my (also '19) AS200

Were these recent builds? I know Ibanez knew they were going to stop production of the AF200 in '19, but still....my '19 is a great guitar, nicer than my (also '19) AS200
    I don't remember on the previous one but the most recent one was a 2016

User Info Menu

(Snobby comment alert!)
    I am spoiled my ‘14 AF200 as it was the prototype ser # 0001.
    It doth not suck.
    (Snobby comments over))
    But yea very surprised to hear that much trouble with them. They are all being built by that same J Team group but ya never know.
    Jack yes my LGB300 is very L5 like, but a rounder overall sound to me. I like it a lot, it has that sense of creating inspiration in you that I get from my L5.
    But
    listening to you here i really think you would fall for a PM200. Its a brighter stronger sound, more towards acoustic. I go between the two, the PM is fun to play…If you’re in DC anytime soon stop in!)
    d

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    (Snobby comment alert!)
    I am spoiled my ‘14 AF200 as it was the prototype ser # 0001.
    It doth not suck.
    (Snobby comments over))
    But yea very surprised to hear that much trouble with them. They are all being built by that same J Team group but ya never know.
    Jack yes my LGB300 is very L5 like, but a rounder overall sound to me. I like it a lot, it has that sense of creating inspiration in you that I get from my L5.
    But
    listening to you here i really think you would fall for a PM200. Its a brighter stronger sound, more towards acoustic. I go between the two, the PM is fun to play…If you’re in DC anytime soon stop in!)
    d
    Yeah, I'm sure i'd like the pm200 but even the used one at $3599 seems too high. I wish 175s were more consistent because the 175 just sounds the best to me but out of about 12-15 I've tried, only a handful were really nice instruments....

User Info Menu

I hear ya: both truths. 3500 is too much, should be under 3, maybe 2700-2800. And discussing variances in 175s could take a case of wine and a long thread fight.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    I hear ya: both truths. 3500 is too much, should be under 3, maybe 2700-2800. And discussing variances in 175s could take a case of wine and a long thread fight.
    yep!

User Info Menu

The AF200's and the prestige range are the entry point to Japanese Ibanez. So yes, they are of lower quality than the mid to top tier artist ranges.
    You can tell by the burst being a little blunt, for Japanese standards. The same goes with the AR prestige.
    The artist series however usually start some £800 more than the prestige so there's your difference.
    The AF200 I have isn't perfect but I would buy one over an artcore, which is essentially your next choice.
    Compared to a similarly priced Seventy Seven Hawk STD (MIJ) the Ibanez is better quality but the tone and playability are on par. The neck on the Ibanez though is superior.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    The AF200's and the prestige range are the entry point to Japanese Ibanez. So yes, they are of lower quality than the mid to top tier artist ranges.
    You can tell by the burst being a little blunt, for Japanese standards. The same goes with the AR prestige.
    The artist series however usually start some £800 more than the prestige so there's your difference.
    The AF200 I have isn't perfect but I would buy one over an artcore, which is essentially your next choice.
    Compared to a similarly priced Seventy Seven Hawk STD (MIJ) the Ibanez is better quality but the tone and playability are on par. The neck on the Ibanez though is superior.
    Not sure I agree totally. The seventy seven hawk jazz was a fabulous instrument, equal in quality to the artist series ibanez guitars. The necks are fatter on seventy seven but that's part of their design philosophy and I agree. A fatter neck sounds better.

User Info Menu

ArchtopHeaven …. Do you have knowledge or facts to back that statement about the AF200 being a build of lesser quality? People i have spoken to, both dealer and Ibanez importer have said they are produced on the same “J Team”’line as the signature series. The build quality of an Indonesion Prestige is good but no wheres near the MIJs. Conversely the build on the AF200s I’ve seen and own is totally equal to the PM or GB MIJ builds.
    It makes no marketing sense. Why would a builder of guitars use the “Made in Japan” statement equally on those three instruments and then cheap out the build on just one?
    Proof?

User Info Menu

Not sure I agree totally. The seventy seven hawk jazz was a fabulous instrument, equal in quality to the artist series ibanez guitars. The necks are fatter on seventy seven but that's part of their design philosophy and I agree. A fatter neck sounds better.
    Zucker - The Hawk maybe but I was talking abbot the Hawk STD. The thin-line version that retails for £2000. Roughly the same as the AF200.
    The one you're talking about I believe is more expensive and is a nicer guitar all round (nicer than the Hawk STD), so no argument there.

The Hawk std has a pretty non tapering neck, almost like a lee Ritenour but not as square. So in this case, I feel the AF 200 has the nicer neck. The neck on the prestige isn't as nice as the GB neck but you can tell the lineage is there.

Kritter - Well just look at the finish. That's all you need to know. It's a two tone burst which is done reasonably crudely. It's not bad but it's the worst part of the guitar imo. The burst on my Korean AF120 is nicer.
    Pick up an old AR 300 Artist and then pick up the Prestige equivalent. It's not the same quality.
    It doesn't matter who's making it. J team is just marketing. That aside, the fit and finish in construction, is flawless.
    They cut back on certain things (like the paint job) to get it in at a price point and to differentiate between the prestige line and the artist lines (imo).
    Don't confuse the AF200 Artstar and the AF2000. We're talking about the AF200 Prestige.

User Info Menu

I dunno mr arch top heaven. Here’s my LGB300 and AF200 staring at you. Where’s this “burst being a bit blunt” I don’t see it at all. Looking at them the burst fade, colors, and final finish are equal. Who’s your source at Ibanez that claims J Team is marketing? It’s a separate section of the factory. I’m out of this, you obviously know these guitars far better than I. but here’s my proof anyway.
    Pm120, pm200, lgb300, gb200, as200-a1d1d86e-49c7-4b1a-9ec5-24859c8ee49b-jpg
    Last edited by jazzkritter; 12-08-2021 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Added sentences.

interestingly enough, the early AF200s had a better finish.